water leak coming in front passenger ...

water leak coming in front passenger side.

Posted in the Chevrolet Impala Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Adele

New York, NY

#1 Sep 30, 2011
I have 2002 Chevrolet Impala with water coming in on my front passenger side when it rains heavy. Does anyone esle has this problem and where do you go to fix it and how much should I expect to paid for the repair?
Stephen P

Latonia, KY

#2 Sep 30, 2011
is it coming in from the window or from around the door? what is getting wet? is it coming in from the top or the bottom????
Adele

New York, NY

#3 Oct 1, 2011
The bottom of the passenger floor after a heavy rain will have around 2 inches of water. The door is not wet and the front panel is not wet. I just have alot of water on the floor and only on the passenger side after a heavy rain storm or a few days of rain. The wind shield was replace about a month ago and my mechanic look to see if I had any blocking the vent and I didn't. I had the problem before the wind shield was replaced. My husband put the water hose on that side by opening between the front hood and wind shield and the water start to drip into the car from the front under where the glove department is located. No water came into the car door when he put the hose on the passenger door. My mechanic told me to go to a glass place to have it look at. I don't understand why. The wind shield isn't weaking. Thanks you any information you can give me.
Stephen P

Latonia, KY

#4 Oct 1, 2011
there is a air filter for the inside of your car there. i thinks its called the interior ventillation filter. it could be from there, its not suppose to leak but it can if something is wrong with it. check around the window seal or the weather stripping under the hood to the firewall. use some soapy water to see if you get any bubbles, probably wont since its no under pressure but it might
Stephen P

Latonia, KY

#5 Oct 1, 2011
when the windshield was replaced did they replace the seals and weather stripping? did they give a warranty? seems like its leaking from the window seal in the front between the hood and the window.
the window goes down so if it leaks it would come in by the glove box like you say instead of on top of the dash. can you take it back to them and tell them it leaks? that plastic should come up so you can inspect it. look at the driver side then the passenger side.
Stephen P

Latonia, KY

#6 Oct 1, 2011
try pouring water into just the vents under the window between the hood and the window and check inside the car while you do it. rust could also not be letting the window seal or glue down. the rust would need to be sanded off first. turn the car on and the a/c on max and recirculate and close all door and windows. take a spray bottle or just some soapy water and spray around the windshield. if you see bubbles then its the wndow.
dish soap works better than hand soap for this.
Stephen P

Latonia, KY

#7 Oct 1, 2011
there is 1 plastic screw and 2 pull connectors below wiper blade. take it up and you should see the sealing strip or not if its gone. you can use clear sealing caulk and fix or glue the strip back in place. i think the strip is gone and its leaking either directly into the car or going through the air filter and into the car.

sorry for the numerous posts but i kept gettng new ideas after looking at my own car.
heavy d

Albany, NY

#8 Nov 12, 2011
See my post on 11/12/11 under 2004 impala water leak. This is a simple fix..
check deflector strip above air cabin housing area. Rubber strip about 15 dollars from dealer
Erica

Toledo, OH

#9 Apr 25, 2013
heavy d wrote:
See my post on 11/12/11 under 2004 impala water leak. This is a simple fix..
check deflector strip above air cabin housing area. Rubber strip about 15 dollars from dealer
What's the easy fix???
jpo

United States

#10 Jun 21, 2013
same happens to ours now after big rains. No matter it's a pos and doesn't work anyway ,,,, passlock.

Since: Aug 13

Wichita, KS

#11 Aug 18, 2013
Hi everyone, I too have problems with rain water coming through the passenger's side fire wall. My husband took the passenger's side “guard”(I use this term loosely because I don’t know whats it's called) off the passenger’s side of the car up by the windshield wipers to do some work on them. He found a filter over the top of the some kind of fan and thinks that is where the water is coming in. What else besides the filter belongs there, and could that be where the water is coming in from??? Second, when he was putting it back together, some kind of felt covering was attached to the “guard”. Problem is that when he put it back together it (the felt) folded over, and ripped. Does anyone know what this piece is called and what its for? We are having a hard time finding it and have been told to check the junk yards for a replacement part . If you have any information please let us know so we can fix it before it ruins the interior of the car.
Cheno

Eau Claire, WI

#12 Aug 22, 2013
RuthStieb wrote:
Hi everyone, I too have problems with rain water coming through the passenger's side fire wall. My husband took the passenger's side “guard”(I use this term loosely because I don’t know whats it's called) off the passenger’s side of the car up by the windshield wipers to do some work on them. He found a filter over the top of the some kind of fan and thinks that is where the water is coming in. What else besides the filter belongs there, and could that be where the water is coming in from??? Second, when he was putting it back together, some kind of felt covering was attached to the “guard”. Problem is that when he put it back together it (the felt) folded over, and ripped. Does anyone know what this piece is called and what its for? We are having a hard time finding it and have been told to check the junk yards for a replacement part . If you have any information please let us know so we can fix it before it ruins the interior of the car.
That cover is the water deflector for the cabin air filter.
So you're looking at your windshield wipers, right? You see the plastic mesh screen just beneath them? That's where the cabin air comes from. But that screen let's water in right? That's where the deflector comes in.
Mine just recently started leaking water in too, so I'm going to have to look at mine as well.

And that felt tab that ripped? That's the pull tab for the cabin filter. You probably didn't recognize it was a filter by how dirty it is. I suggest you replace the filter. Mine was filthy when I checked mine.

Hope I helped a bit.
FRANK

Matawan, NJ

#13 Oct 13, 2013
I HAVE SAME PROBLEM WITH WATER LEAKING ON THE PASSENGER SIDE ALSO, I TOOK OFF THE DOOR PANEL AND
SPRAYED WATER ON THE WINDOW AND COULD SEE WATER COMING INTO THE DOOR ITSELF. I REPLACED THE STRIP WITH BELT, SEEMS LIKE THE RUBBER PART IS NOT TIGHT ENOUGH AGAINST THE WINDOW. STILL LEAKS
FRANK

Matawan, NJ

#14 Oct 13, 2013
I won't use capitals next time sorry!!
Ben Sellars

Albany, GA

#15 Dec 22, 2013
My wife's 2000 Impala has the same problem. At the bottom of the windshield where the cabin air filter goes there is a square wall-like structure surrounding the opening that leads down to the blower motor. Apparently the body sealer where this wall joins the cowl develops cracks over time and allows water into the car. I found it by removing the blower motor from inside the car and lying in the floor while my wife used a garden hose to run water over the windshield and I got a face full of water when it began to run into the car but I saw where it was coming from.
I use a tube of clear silicone in a caulking gun with a piece of rubber hose on the end to make it easier to apply the silicone all around the edges where the wall meets the car. It stops the leak completely but I have to reapply once every couple of years.
My problem now is I've reapplied three times in the last ten years and I have such a heavy layer I'm wondering if I need to remove the old silicone, very hard to do, before I reseal it this time since it's started leaking again and the floor will have three inches of water if we leave the car in the rain. I hope this helps you.
Linda

Tifton, GA

#16 Jan 3, 2014
Yes I have the same problem with my 2005 impala....... don't know what it could be. It only happens when it is a big rain as you stated or when I run it through a car wash.
Linda
Adele wrote:
I have 2002 Chevrolet Impala with water coming in on my front passenger side when it rains heavy. Does anyone esle has this problem and where do you go to fix it and how much should I expect to paid for the repair?
Ron F

Chicago, IL

#17 Jan 20, 2014
All- this is an extremely popular problem with these cars. My wife's car just had it, unfortunately it flooded the airbag module under the passenger seat as collateral damage. i had to remvoe the entire interior to dry outt he rug fully.
The issue is water eaks down past the upper cowel cover (unde the wipers) and goes right into the cabin air filter /lower box which then leak into the car.**FIX**-- a $5 plasic "water deflector that was a GM after thought. Part number 15794785. The plastic wall with the felt under the cowl needs to be removed off the cowel to install this piece. It is basically a rain gutter to bring wter down to the drain hole instead of nto the blower box. Replace the cabin filter while you are there for another $30. Check out this youtube video of someone else doing this install..

Hope this helps!
Rn
sarah

Birmingham, UK

#18 Feb 19, 2014
Hi. My car is volkswagen polo 1996 1997. A very good car never had problems with it upto one day, I accidentally in the dark stooped into a pool of water but got out on time. However, few days after that there were a bit of water on the LEFT SIDE front and LEFT BACK passenger floor only not on the right. It got worse and worse especially after heavy rain. Once in the rain I sat in the car to see where leak is coming from but nothing. No where else is wet only floor like magic. It starting to smell badly especially whn I turn on the air conditioner to reduce condensation which is pretty bad. And it takes such a long time for the windows to clear up. Please help me it may be an old car but I love it and makes me depressed and not wanting to drive it often. ....I can't even take it to hand wash because it is so embarrassing and tried to go to garages but they dont knw anything or dont want to fix it for some reason. I have researched extensively online and everywhere but I keep gettin different answers. Pleeease help my polo and me :(
Coffee

Sacramento, CA

#19 Feb 28, 2014
Ron F wrote:
All- this is an extremely popular problem with these cars. My wife's car just had it, unfortunately it flooded the airbag module under the passenger seat as collateral damage. i had to remvoe the entire interior to dry outt he rug fully.
The issue is water eaks down past the upper cowel cover (unde the wipers) and goes right into the cabin air filter /lower box which then leak into the car.**FIX**-- a $5 plasic "water deflector that was a GM after thought. Part number 15794785. The plastic wall with the felt under the cowl needs to be removed off the cowel to install this piece. It is basically a rain gutter to bring wter down to the drain hole instead of nto the blower box. Replace the cabin filter while you are there for another $30. Check out this youtube video of someone else doing this install..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hgS7v3tl0BIXX
Hope this helps!
Rn
Thanks a lot for that info I just purchased a 2000 Impala this week and I got up after a rain last night and the passenger floor was full of water! Saved me a lot of headaches Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!
Mrs Anderson

Tulsa, OK

#20 Apr 16, 2014
My husband and I just purchased a 2014 Impale LTZ. I love the car, but there is problems with the passanger side windows, I have talked to several dealers and I have been told that there are several people that are complaing about that same problem. I can't see spending all this money on a nice car and all you hear is wind noise. I have called GM and I'm trying to see what they might have to say about it. this is the second chevy that I have had and I'm not really happy with the put come. I just want someone that will talk to youand not make excusses for their product, noone knows what youare talkingabout because ther are not the ones that is driving the car. Not to meantion that when I had that 2009 Mabilu I was calling about the steering colum and the would always tell me that there is nothing wrong with it and I finally told them look I'm going to get Killed before you take a good look at it, then I got a boot or something on the steering cuplor.
Any way if anyone is having wind noise please respond back.
Thank you so very much

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Impala not starting (Nov '06) Fri carsonCA 193
No chime, no radio volume but radio does work I... (Sep '08) Jan 19 marcus 129
2004 3.8 Impala overheating (Nov '11) Jan 16 brittany333 16
2016 impalla shut off while running Jan 16 biggboy101 1
2000 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 sputtering during acc... Jan 15 Rickmick 1
2004 chevy impala heater blowing cold air. (Jan '10) Jan 13 Shamera 34
2000 impala traction control (Oct '06) Jan 13 RCinNM 468
More from around the web