2003 Impala heat problem
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bryan Koehn

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Jan 8, 2009
I have a 2003 Impala that the heat appears to be working and blowing heat but when it's really cold outside it can't keep up.

The first words out of the dealers mouth was 'restricted heater core' but I'm not sure that is possible.

The car has about 112xxx miles and hasn't had any engine work done on it in the past.
Kelly

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Jan 19, 2009
Bryan Koehn wrote:
I have a 2003 Impala that the heat appears to be working and blowing heat but when it's really cold outside it can't keep up.
The first words out of the dealers mouth was 'restricted heater core' but I'm not sure that is possible.
The car has about 112xxx miles and hasn't had any engine work done on it in the past.
I am having the exact same issue in my 2003 Impala. I am bringing it to my mechanic on Thursday (Jan 22). I will post what the fix was for mine.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#3 Jan 19, 2009
put a new thermostat in...cost ya 10 bucks..takes about 10 minutes to install..
Chuck

Owosso, MI

#4 Mar 13, 2009
Same thing happened with my 2003 Impala. New thermostat fixed the problem
bud_516

Winona, MN

#5 May 2, 2009
Bryan Koehn wrote:
if your engine stays in the normal heat range its not the thermostat you could have a cloged heater core.
1 to clean it out find the two rubber hoses that run into the firewall take both of them off
2 get a garden hose and (using your hand to make a half-assed seal) flush it top(hose) to bottom until all water is clear and then flush it the other way
3 reattach the hoses
4 take the radiator cap off start the engine let it run for a minute then rev it up a little, add coolant
repeat 4 until the radiator is full replace cap and you should be good to go. if that dont work stick a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator
david c

Milwaukee, WI

#6 May 2, 2009
first of all if you have the 3400 it takes alot longer than 10 mins to replace the thrermostat. the thermostat in the 3400 is under the throttle body.
second, the gm 3400 and 3800 engines have a known problem with the lower intake manifold gasket failing. it fails in two ways, internally and externally. if its an internal leak you can usually tell by looking at the oil or coolant. if your coolant or oil looks like chocolate milk you have bigger issues than just a clogged heater core. you need to get the lim gasket replaced first. then do a complete flush of the coolant system.
if its leaking externally you will see it leaking under the valve covers. if it is leaking externally you are loosing coolant and there might not be enough coolant in the system.
also, from the factory they add stopleak pellets to the coolant. if your system has never been flushed this might also be the problem.you can try flushing the heater core, but if you dont flush the whole system it will just get clogged up again.
check out this site www.naioa.com (tell them milwaukee_01impala sent you)
its all about 2000 and up impalas. its a very active site and there are usually always people there to help out. there have been a number of members with the same problem.
Nadia

Barrie, Canada

#7 Oct 25, 2010
My 2003 impala has heat issues, when it is on 1 or 2 it won't blow heat. i have to turn it to 3 or higher... what could this be? also when i tried to use air conditioning, it will blow cold on passenger, but takes quiet sometime or not all to get cold on driver, it will blow heat.
Mike337

Atlanta, GA

#8 Jan 31, 2014
Nadia wrote:
My 2003 impala has heat issues, when it is on 1 or 2 it won't blow heat. i have to turn it to 3 or higher... what could this be? also when i tried to use air conditioning, it will blow cold on passenger, but takes quiet sometime or not all to get cold on driver, it will blow heat.
did you find out what was causing that becuz mine does the Sam thing except it only works on 5
Gary

Phoenix, AZ

#9 Jun 4, 2014
I have impala 2003 it get overheat
Nadia

Mississauga, Canada

#10 Jun 4, 2014
Mike337 wrote:
<quoted text> did you find out what was causing that becuz mine does the Sam thing except it only works on 5
I did have to change my thermostat but as for the fan issue mine is now only working on five and I'm going to be getting it checked I've had to resolution to it yet. Let me know if you do
iesha outar

East Hartford, CT

#11 Nov 20, 2014
flushed out. the heater. core. n it. would. get. hot. then colegia again
Debbie

Lubbock, TX

#12 Nov 24, 2014
Nadia wrote:
<quoted text>
I did have to change my thermostat but as for the fan issue mine is now only working on five and I'm going to be getting it checked I've had to resolution to it yet. Let me know if you do
Change out the blower motor resistor. It's located in the blower motor behind the glove box. There are several how to videos online that show how easy it is to do. Hope this helps!
Debbie

Lubbock, TX

#13 Nov 24, 2014
iesha outar wrote:
flushed out. the heater. core. n it. would. get. hot. then colegia again
Your HVAC temp door Actuator may need to be replaced. If you have dual climate control then there's one located on both the driver's side and the passenger's side. There are lots of videos online to show you how to do this. The site below helped me as well as YouTube videos. Hope this helps!
http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/11/2004-c...
Debbie

Lubbock, TX

#14 Nov 24, 2014
Mike337 wrote:
<quoted text> did you find out what was causing that becuz mine does the Sam thing except it only works on 5
Try changing out the blower motor resistor. It's located in the blower motor behind the glove box. There are several how to videos online that show how easy it is to do. Hope this helps!
Jamonross

Aurora, IL

#15 Jan 5, 2015
My heat will not blow out but my rear defrost works. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I also have a 03 Chevy impala
DanColon

Bloomfield Hills, MI

#16 Jan 7, 2015
Nadia wrote:
<quoted text>
Its the blower motor resistor, redid mine last year after replacing everything else first...
Anonymous

Dumas, TX

#17 Jan 27, 2015
I have a 2003 Chevy Impala. The heater works but will not blow where I set the knob to (i.e. feet, defrost, etc)
sophia habovick

Chicago, IL

#18 Jun 5, 2015
I have a 2003 impala my controls on my dash for where the air blows out of doesnt work
Kareem

Denver, CO

#19 Oct 2, 2015
2004 Impala...heat isn't working at all a/c works perfect... What do I do to fix the problem
Kelli

Bentonville, AR

#20 Oct 20, 2016
My 2002 chevy impala's heat and air doesn't work at all. When I'm driving I get heat and air coming through vents but won't let me use controls. What could be the priblem

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 Chevy Impala - turn signal issue (Oct '08) 6 hr Steve 32
2002 Impala Problems (May '07) Sat David 467
chevrolet impala abs/traction control lamp on p... (Apr '08) Oct 18 Joanne 225
Instrument cluster out Oct 15 Emiliorg50 1
help!! Oct 14 Noturburrito 2
The lights inside Oct 13 Sharon 1
Troubleshooting P0446 Code (Sep '13) Oct 6 Andy 8
More from around the web