2002 Impala shift problem....help!
Technician R

Westerville, OH

#101 Jun 22, 2009
jodi wrote:
there is a sound which resembles a vaccume leak, however gm dealership told me tranny doesnt have any "vacume" type parts and is hydraulic...he suspected either fluid is low or overfilled...or possibly the shifter cable is worn...my hubby is checking it today..car has 230,000 miles...has always been reliable until now....
What did you find?
Lynda

Elyria, OH

#102 Jul 2, 2009
I have a 2002 Chevy Impala, just under 80,000 miles. Literally have had it 10 days shy of 2 months and all of a sudden my gear shifter started sticking yesterday (it is an automatic) It's become extremely hard to move. Then last night it wouldn't start..because the gear shifter is so hard it won't go completely into Park....so when my car is off I have to put on the emergency break..then to get it to start I have to put it into Neutral and start it. It's back at the dealer now but they are telling me this may not be covered under my "warranty" that came with the car...Has anyone had this type of problem? And does it maybe sound like it could be covered under this federal law? Any help?
Technician R

Westerville, OH

#103 Jul 2, 2009
Lynda wrote:
I have a 2002 Chevy Impala, just under 80,000 miles. Literally have had it 10 days shy of 2 months and all of a sudden my gear shifter started sticking yesterday (it is an automatic) It's become extremely hard to move. Then last night it wouldn't start..because the gear shifter is so hard it won't go completely into Park....so when my car is off I have to put on the emergency break..then to get it to start I have to put it into Neutral and start it. It's back at the dealer now but they are telling me this may not be covered under my "warranty" that came with the car...Has anyone had this type of problem? And does it maybe sound like it could be covered under this federal law? Any help?
Never heard of this problem. Are there any warning lamps on after the vehicle is started? What state do you live in? What model Impala is this? In example: Base model or LS? Floor shift or column shifter? Chances are if you purchased the car without a full extended warranty it probably won’t be covered. How many miles are on the vehicle? More information would be needed for help with a problem like this.
bev

Saint Louis, MO

#104 Jul 23, 2009
I have a 2001 3.8L with 96,000 miles and started noticing the stalling, loss of power and had a different recall for manifold about two months ago and told the dealer at that time to check into any other service bulletins or recalls regarding these symptoms and they said they did and saw nothing---welll-----two months later it has gotten much worse. i have had transmission flushed, fuel filter and tune up and the place that did that work said it was still riding rough--took to aamco and they said it sounded like catalytic converter and printed out service bulletin "serial policy adjustment #0551" that indicates 2001-2002 models of several chevy products were experiencing catalytic converter problems and exted the warranty for coverage to 10 years 120,000 miles. Took to Chevy dealer and they argued that may not be the problem but told them to look into. Called and said that was the problem but still riding rough out of 2nd gear and could sell me a new tranny for 3,000. I told them no way--i don't trust them and this should have been found and repaired two months ago and if my tranny got damaged because they didn't fix it when i took to them two months ago then they hadn't heard the last from me.
Alex wrote:
My 2001 impala was having the same problems as you all are describing. Low power, shifts to a lower gear when accelerating, & shaking. I try to fix most of my mechanical work myself but couldn't figure this one out. I took it to the chevy dealer. He drove it and knew the problem right off. Said it was the catalyic converter, I had heard of this but they ran a backpressure test on my exhaust and the maximum ammount of backpressure is 1.25%, mine results were 10+% backpressure. He said that was really bad. I had 97,000 miles on it and the warranty ran out at 36,000. The catalyic converter has a warranty up to 80,000. They figured out a way to still cover my repair under a warranty loop hole for the catalyic converter. I didn't even ask, they told me there would be no charge for the repair when they called me to pick up the car. That was awesome. God does bless us in so many ways. Hope this helps someone.
aunt d

Homestead, FL

#105 Sep 2, 2009
my 02 impala will not move once i slow down to 20mph. ive sent it to the mechanic today i will keep you posted
kristina

United States

#106 Sep 9, 2009
I have a 2002 impala ls with the 3.8, had shifting problems, took it to gm for the recall and had them check the cat, it was no good, my car had 97600 miles they would not cover it under the warrenty, wanted 800 to fix it, went to a privet garage and for 450 got it fixed with an after markent cat, i didn't want another gm part anyways. If your cars had under 80000 miles have the cat checked, save you allot of problems after.
Jeff

Denver, CO

#107 Sep 11, 2009
Sean wrote:
Glad to know its not just mine!! I'm at 115,500 and I have pretty much the same problem only with a bit of shaking in the acceleration process. That catalitic converter sounds like that may be about right. Also does anyone know why a low tire pressure light would come on even though the tires are all at an even pressure??
The low tire pressure system issue you have can be easily soved. Inflate all four tires to the proper level (see inside hood for the rating (mine is 30psi). Once you do that, you need to reset the system. You owners manual gives you two methods for resetting it. I cant recall exactly but it is someting easy like turning the key to the ?on? position and then turning the parking lights on then off 3x. You hear a chime, and then you are reset! hope this helps!!!
smurf

Waldorf, MD

#108 Dec 7, 2009
Dee wrote:
I know the problem the catalic converter gets stopped up go to the nearest muffler shop and tell them to check the converter . I had mine removed and now its jettin I even won a couple of races!
yea mine did the same thing thats the converter get that replace with a 94 caprice universal it is 65$ its cheaper and now mycar drives better then ever
Robert

United States

#109 Dec 12, 2009
I have a 2002 Impala and had the transmission replaced with a used transmission that had less then 15k miles on it the transmission is still not working properly it will shift from first to third and will sometimes shift from 1st to second and not go into third it also does not down shift properly I took it into the dealership and code p1810 came back had that replaced an it still is shifting wrong replaced the battery thinking that an incorrect voltage was going to the computer and it is still not working any ideas?
Jason Murphy

Dallas, TX

#110 Jan 4, 2010
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala LS, 3.8 litre. I replaced the transmission with a Factory rebuilt GM unit from the dealer. It has 12,000 miles on it. The problem is that after driving appoximately 20 to 30 miles it will start to upshifts quick and hard. After I park and let the car sit for 15 minutes it will go back to shifting smooth again. No trouble codes have ever been set concerning the engine or trans. It is still under warranty but I would like to have some idea before I have to listen to the dealers bull.
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#111 Jan 5, 2010
Jason Murphy wrote:
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala LS, 3.8 litre. I replaced the transmission with a Factory rebuilt GM unit from the dealer. It has 12,000 miles on it. The problem is that after driving appoximately 20 to 30 miles it will start to upshifts quick and hard. After I park and let the car sit for 15 minutes it will go back to shifting smooth again. No trouble codes have ever been set concerning the engine or trans. It is still under warranty but I would like to have some idea before I have to listen to the dealers bull.
I hear you load and clear! The dealers bull....! I have seen this problem many times before. There are probably trouble codes set that only the GM Tech 2 scan tool can read. It's likely that the pressure control solenoid is sticking (this is a common failure). There is probably a DTC P1811 or P0748 stored in the PCM memory. Check dealer bulletin # 00-07-30-002B JUL 19, 2002. I currently own a 2001 Impala with the same issue (trans was replaced with GM factory unit). Your symptom is right on target. There are some technical facts of why after it sits for 15 minutes its then okay for awhile. There are electronic controls that reset and then detect the failure again. You probably do not get a check engine light on with this failure. It's GM's way of covering up the BS. The repair part is inexpensive but requires about 6.5 hour’s labor to complete the repair under warranty. It is also possible that the control valve body will need to be replaced at the same time. This should be done at no cost to you. Contact the dealer ASAP and don’t let GM get by with screwing you. They dealer may have not properly flushed the transmission cooler and lines when the transmission was replaced allowing contaminants and sediment to enter the transmissions control valve body thus causing the Pressure Control Valve to stick. This causes the line pressure to run high and is what is causing your harsh upshifts. Good Luck and post your repair results.
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#112 Jan 5, 2010
Jason Murphy wrote:
I hear you loud and clear! The dealers bull....! I have seen this problem many times before. There are probably trouble codes set that only the GM Tech 2 scan tool can read. It's likely that the transmission pressure control solenoid is sticking (this is a common failure). There is probably a DTC P1811 or P0748 stored in the PCM memory. Check dealer bulletin # 00-07-30-002B JUL 19, 2002. I currently own a 2001 Impala with the same issue (the transmission was replaced with a GM factory remanufactured unit). Your symptom is right on target. There are some technical facts of why after it sits for 15 minutes its then okay for awhile. There are electronic controls that reset and then detect the failure again. You probably do not get a check engine light on with this failure. It's GM's way of covering up the BS. The repair part is inexpensive but requires about 6.5 hour’s labor to complete the repair under warranty. It is also possible that the transmission control valve body will need to be replaced at the same time. This should be done at no cost to you. Contact the dealer ASAP and don’t let GM get by with screwing you. The dealer may have not properly flushed the transmission cooler and lines when the transmission was replaced allowing contaminants and sediment to enter the transmissions control valve body thus causing the Pressure Control Valve to stick. This causes the line pressure to run high and is what is causing your harsh upshifts. Good Luck and post your repair results.
steve rr

Dover, DE

#113 Jan 17, 2010
Technician R wrote:
<quoted text>I hear you loud and clear! The dealers bull....! I have seen this problem many times before. There are probably trouble codes set that only the GM Tech 2 scan tool can read. It's likely that the transmission pressure control solenoid is sticking (this is a common failure). There is probably a DTC P1811 or P0748 stored in the PCM memory. Check dealer bulletin # 00-07-30-002B JUL 19, 2002. I currently own a 2001 Impala with the same issue (the transmission was replaced with a GM factory remanufactured unit). Your symptom is right on target. There are some technical facts of why after it sits for 15 minutes its then okay for awhile. There are electronic controls that reset and then detect the failure again. You probably do not get a check engine light on with this failure. It's GM's way of covering up the BS. The repair part is inexpensive but requires about 6.5 hour’s labor to complete the repair under warranty. It is also possible that the transmission control valve body will need to be replaced at the same time. This should be done at no cost to you. Contact the dealer ASAP and don’t let GM get by with screwing you. The dealer may have not properly flushed the transmission cooler and lines when the transmission was replaced allowing contaminants and sediment to enter the transmissions control valve body thus causing the Pressure Control Valve to stick. This causes the line pressure to run high and is what is causing your harsh upshifts. Good Luck and post your repair results.
what is the part number or name of the inexpensive part? I am having the same issue,2002 with 120,000 on it,I know its a long shot but is there any way gm should cover this under warranty?
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#114 Jan 18, 2010
steve rr wrote:
<quoted text>what is the part number or name of the inexpensive part? I am having the same issue,2002 with 120,000 on it,I know its a long shot but is there any way gm should cover this under warranty?
The name of the part is the "Pressure Control Solenoid" and the part number is: 10478146. This part retails for $58.19. However, you may also have problems with the "Control Valve Body" and may also need to replace this at the same time. The control valve body part number has to be looked up by the dealer using your transmission code in order to get the correct one for your transmission. This part is about $265.00. You will also need gaskets and fluid so the repair can be expensive depending on what’s needed. See dealer bulletin #00-07-30-002B dated July 19, 2002 for more information. Will GM make good on this repair? I doubt it. Remember they are the new GM and they are no longer responsible for their previous products. Good Luck and tells us how it all turns out.
steven

Indianapolis, IN

#115 Jan 29, 2010
Sean wrote:
Glad to know its not just mine!! I'm at 115,500 and I have pretty much the same problem only with a bit of shaking in the acceleration process. That catalitic converter sounds like that may be about right. Also does anyone know why a low tire pressure light would come on even though the tires are all at an even pressure??
tire pressure is affected by many reasons, one of the most important reasons is the weather the colder it is the lower the pressure will get. so those tire indicator lights are more of a nusciance than anything helpful
Barry

Glendale Heights, IL

#116 Feb 8, 2010
Sean wrote:
I have had this happen. If you run over a bit of bumpy (washboard) type road it can fool the sensor. Look in manual on how to reset it and see if it happens again.
Mark

Hopkins, MN

#117 Feb 22, 2010
Shandre wrote:
I have a 2002 ls and it won't shift when I pass until I let off the gas for a second too. I'm having it serviced on Saturday by the dealer so I will let ya'll know what the results are.
So what was it?
steven

Dallas, TX

#118 Mar 15, 2010
I also have a 2002 impala and around 50,000 it was doing what yours is doing and it definatly was the cadalic convertor now i am at 95,000 and if the car gets driven alot it starts shifting gears rough and enough to jerk your head back in each gear trans fluid is not low and dont look or smell bad but maybe the screen is do for a new one
Rich

Morgan Hill, CA

#119 Apr 10, 2010
Shandre wrote:
I'm thinking about putting 20's on my 2002 impala ls, does anyone know if the tire pressure sensor will still work correctly?
you will have no problem . The low tire pressure light may come on ,just reset it and cruise happily.
Rich

Morgan Hill, CA

#120 Apr 10, 2010
20 s are nice on the car, the low tire pressure light may come on just reset it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car won't start after sitting over night Sat Purplexed in ny 1
impala 2014 water leaks (Jan '14) Fri MNSHVA 42
2002 Impala Problems (May '07) Fri Mike50090 449
2000 Impala Hot at idle or stopped - cools when... (Oct '09) Fri Jennifer 29
my check engine light is on and then flashes Jul 21 eric citrano 1
jerking Jul 21 Arlene Jacobs 1
water leak coming in front passenger side. (Sep '11) Jul 21 haibird 30
More from around the web