Impala not starting
ms lynn

Cleveland, OH

#41 Aug 19, 2009
waldo wrote:
I'm am also ready to give up on my '01 impala. have tried everything and still have the same problem. replaced BCM got charged 800.00 for that changed the switch 300.00 for that twice. had the car remote taken off 400.00. tired of putting money and no one can fix the problem they just keep telling me when it quites and will not start bring it in what a joke. so now i have been told if i put a reister in by the switch i guess that will bypass the system so i have a friend that is going to try that tonight. keeping my fingers crossed that this time maybe it will fix it. if not it is going up for sale problem is how do you sell a car that only starts when it feels like it. but when it is going gets great gas miliage and runs good when it starts.
did u ever find out what was wrong cause im having that problem
Daniel

Walnut Creek, CA

#42 Aug 20, 2009
Hello All,

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala. I noticed when the car is driven for awhile, when you turn the car on it dead. If you wait about 10 to 15 minutes it starts. The Dealership is stating that it is an ignition problem.
Technician R

Buckeye Lake, OH

#43 Aug 20, 2009
Daniel wrote:
Hello All,
I have a 2005 Chevy Impala. I noticed when the car is driven for awhile, when you turn the car on it dead. If you wait about 10 to 15 minutes it starts. The Dealership is stating that it is an ignition problem.
Sounds like a "Passlock" security problem. The Passlock sensor is probably faulty. The dealer repair cost is about $300.00. This will include a new "Passlock sensor" and ignition lock key cylinder. They are sold together as one component replacement part. It is also recommended that you get two new keys made as well. They will code your old keys or new keys to match the new ignition key lock cylinder. The new keys will still work in your doors, trunk and glovebox locks.
lynn32

AOL

#44 Sep 8, 2009
wow i see these impala are not good cars,well my impala reached 130,000 miles thats when all these things began to happen,drivin at nite,lights go dem,then the abs light and traction light comes on and hear a grinding,and it seems like sometime when you go to stop,the brakes barely catch,very scary.and when it was above 80 degress my security light stays on,get out turn car off,it wont start for ten min,then start like nothin was even wrong,well i went by the post i read on here and took a chance.just replace front wheel barring,which i paid 59.00at nappa store,autozone wanted 199.yea right.guy charge me 40.put on.car runs so much better.my sencor on barring was fried.now the security lite hasnt came on since the wheather is changing.got rack opoinion on for 500.rotors and brakes 80.i dont understand these cars.and i thought they were police cars.what if the police had a call,and rushed out to there impala and car wouldnt start.that is dangerous
Don

Rock Hill, SC

#45 Oct 2, 2009
"Honest Car Dealer" Isn't that an Oxy-Moron???
Jeremiah

Montgomery, AL

#46 Oct 5, 2009
I have an 04 impala, the engine won't completly turn over, it tries to start but its like theres not enough gas, theres a full tank. I used starting fluid and it started but died 3 seconds later, would that be the fuel pump? or the the Fuel regulators?
Jeremiah

Montgomery, AL

#47 Oct 5, 2009
I have an 04 impala, the engine won't completly turn over, it tries to start but its like theres not enough gas, theres a full tank. I used starting fluid and it started but died 3 seconds later, would that be the fuel pump? or something else?
rossIII

Mishawaka, IN

#48 Nov 9, 2009
first of all you guys are getting on this site and telling a bunch of people who dont know shit about a prob. that they couldnt possibly understand. and expecting them to tell you what to do. well thats like throwing parts at the problem and hoping one fixes it. that in its self is pretty stupid. now i know you all dont like to be told you are stupid. but um well, if the shoe fits. its not the junk car. ALL CARS ARE A TEST OF PARTS. so maybe you should check the way you drive it and take care of it. then move on to the possible problems. and use common sense. do research on what the dealership or repair shop is telling you. i mean you would just take a strangers word on anything would you? I am a mechanic and i have been for years and I am will to bet I am one of the few honest ones left. and I am telling you all that if you take the time do do a little reading and check things out before you make decisions. And prtactice the art of covering your ass. then you might find the resolution is easier than you think.
Rcord

United States

#49 Nov 19, 2009
I thought the purpose of these forums is to share experiences and share solutions. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 and have been experiencing it going dead all of a sudden, without warning. It only goes dead at slower speeds or idle. I changed the MAF sensor and Fuel Pressure Regulator. It still had the problem. I took it to a Chevrolet place and they said the MAF was bad so I got a new MAF and took to the Chevrolet place for them to put on. It fixed it for a month and now it is going dead again. The Chevrolet place told me besides some Carbon build-up, they couldn't find anything wrong but they said to clean it would cost an arm and a leg. Could carbon build up cause these problems? And what else could be the problem?
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#50 Nov 19, 2009
Rcord wrote:
I thought the purpose of these forums is to share experiences and share solutions. I have a 2002 Chevrolet Impala 3.4 and have been experiencing it going dead all of a sudden, without warning. It only goes dead at slower speeds or idle. I changed the MAF sensor and Fuel Pressure Regulator. It still had the problem. I took it to a Chevrolet place and they said the MAF was bad so I got a new MAF and took to the Chevrolet place for them to put on. It fixed it for a month and now it is going dead again. The Chevrolet place told me besides some Carbon build-up, they couldn't find anything wrong but they said to clean it would cost an arm and a leg. Could carbon build up cause these problems? And what else could be the problem?
First of all are you saying the cars engine is stalling out? When it does stall out are you losing all electrical power (no warning lamps on dash are on)? After it shuts off/stalls out does it restart ok? Was the fuel filter and fuel pressure checked? More information is needed. How many miles are on the car? Does the cars engine lack any power (some Impala's had faulty plugged up catalytic converters). Were the battery terminals checked for looseness and corrosion? Carbon build up will not cause your problem. Please provide more information.
stupid - obviously

San Marcos, TX

#51 Jan 9, 2010
Honest mechanic. Is that not in itself an OXY MORON? I am 38 years young have YET to meet an HONEST mechanic nor an HONEST car salesman. Instead of calling people "stupid", why not offer some solid mechanical advice on this obvious widespread problem? I must have missed the part of your comment that was constructive. Are you available for jobs, because if your an honest mechanic, i would really love to have you work on my car.
rossIII wrote:
first of all you guys are getting on this site and telling a bunch of people who dont know shit about a prob. that they couldnt possibly understand. and expecting them to tell you what to do. well thats like throwing parts at the problem and hoping one fixes it. that in its self is pretty stupid. now i know you all dont like to be told you are stupid. but um well, if the shoe fits. its not the junk car. ALL CARS ARE A TEST OF PARTS. so maybe you should check the way you drive it and take care of it. then move on to the possible problems. and use common sense. do research on what the dealership or repair shop is telling you. i mean you would just take a strangers word on anything would you? I am a mechanic and i have been for years and I am will to bet I am one of the few honest ones left. and I am telling you all that if you take the time do do a little reading and check things out before you make decisions. And prtactice the art of covering your ass. then you might find the resolution is easier than you think.
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#52 Jan 10, 2010
stupid - obviously wrote:
Honest mechanic. Is that not in itself an OXY MORON? I am 38 years young have YET to meet an HONEST mechanic nor an HONEST car salesman. Instead of calling people "stupid", why not offer some solid mechanical advice on this obvious widespread problem? I must have missed the part of your comment that was constructive. Are you available for jobs, because if your an honest mechanic, i would really love to have you work on my car.
<quoted text>
There are honest automotive repair technicians out there. Don't assume that if their working in car dealerships or independent shops that they are honest. Finding an honest and educated repair technician can be a difficult task. Start by asking your friends or acquaintances who they take their car to for repair and what their experiences have been. Good communication between the customer and repair technician is an essential starting point for any person that needs car repair. Interview your prospective automotive repair technician. This is similar to a physician-patient relationship. Ask your technician how many years experience he has and on what type of vehicles he mainly works on. Ask for his credentials. In example: Are you ASE Certified and in what areas are your certifications in. ASE Master Technicians generally have a well rounded education working with automobiles and light duty trucks. Experience is very important! Also having the right tools to do the job is equally important. To do most repair jobs on todayĺs cars the technician will need up to date information and tools to even attempt to do the job. Not all technicians will be college educated with Associate or Master Degrees in Automotive Technology. This is not necessary to find a competent repair technician. Shop around until you are sure that you have found the right person to work on your car. See the web address below for more information on ASE Certified Technicians:
http://www.asecert.org/ . Good Luck with your search and let us know how things work out.
Mark-Tampa

Bradenton, FL

#53 Apr 23, 2010
I HAVE A 2007 IMPALA AND IT WILL NOT START IF IT SITS FOR MORE THAN 1 DAY. IT HAS TO BE JUMP STARTED AND IT WILL FIRE UP LIKE A STRONG BRAND NEW CAR FOR THHE REST OF THE DAY. I BLAMED THE BATTERY AND WENT TO DISCOUNT AUTO GET A NEW ONE BUT THE GUY TESTED MY BATT THERE AND SAID IT WAS FINE. HE SAID IT DID HAVE "LOW CRANKNING AMPS" BUT STATED A NEW BATT WOULD NOT REMEDY THE ISSUE... HELP!!
jsharon simpson

San Jose, CA

#54 May 27, 2010
i am sick of my 2000 chevy impala not starting
intermitatlyy. my mechanic kept it for 3 days
and ran it several times each day. it always
started for him . he says he cannot fix it
until it won't start at all then have towed
to him. any ideas?
guest-E

Lethbridge, Canada

#55 May 30, 2010
jsharon simpson wrote:
i am sick of my 2000 chevy impala not starting
intermitatlyy. my mechanic kept it for 3 days
and ran it several times each day. it always
started for him . he says he cannot fix it
until it won't start at all then have towed
to him. any ideas?
If your car doesn't crank, you'll probably see your security light flasing in the information center, this indicates a passlock fault. Search this site for passlock II and you'll quicky see you'll want a passlock bypass module from a good quality aftermarket remote start system (command start).

If your car cranks and seems like it has no spark, it is likey the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) that needs to be replaced for a couple hundred bucks.
Amy

Marlton, NJ

#56 Aug 24, 2010
Same issue with my 2005 Impala.... will not start or turn over intermittantly... never know when it's going to occur. Took it to garage and they charged me $100 to tell me they didn't know how to fix it. Advised that vehicle be in the failed state to test further. Does that mean they will come to my house and test it while it's in this "failed" state?! I think NOT! After reading all these posts seriously thinking of trading in for new vehicle. This should be a RECALL!!!
mark-tampa

United States

#57 Aug 25, 2010
Hey all, sorry to just now post an update. Despite the advice of the obviously very educated discount auto employee I gambled and put a new battery in my 07. The car now has 0 problems starting and the service charging system has not appeared since. The original symptoms were very intermittent as I see others have experienced and were not quite classic battery trouble symptoms. Hope this helps.
Jim Pa

Carlisle, PA

#58 Aug 26, 2010
Matthew wrote:
I have the same problem with my 2004 Impala with 80000 miles on it. About two to three times a week I will go to start the car and turn the key, all the gauges will engage and it acts like the car is going to start, but when I turn the key all the way "nothing". I have figured out that if I sit there with the key in the ignition for 10 minutes, then I can start the car right up. The automotive shop that I take the car to says the car gives no fault codes and evertyhing starter, alternator, battery, etc., looks good. I have noticed though that the security light comes on. I am going to try the passlock system. Any other suggestions that have worked?
Have same problem to the TT.
Did you come up with anything?
Have had similar problems

Belcourt, ND

#59 Sep 14, 2010
Will Gale wrote:
My 2002 Impala will start perfectly most of the time. There are some times when it will not start. When I turn the key there is nothing. I wait a few minutes and it will start. Anyone else having the same issue.
My 2003 Chevy Impala was serviced by a Chevrolet dealership and had the catalytic converter changed. After that, it started not starting sporadically for a week or so. After that it wouldn't start at all. I got a new battery, starter, alternator, bcm fuse, had all the fuses checked, and the problem was still not solved. I was carrying a battery booster pack around with me all the time to start my car. Finally I took it to a smalltown service station called J & M Service in St. John, ND. They tested my (new) battery and found that it had a dead cell in it. The mechanic said it was definitely that way when I bought it. The mechanic loaned me a battery for the weekend so I could get another one. My car has been starting ever since. All these problems and the battery was bad. It was an Everhart battery from Wal-Mart.
Have had similar problems

Belcourt, ND

#60 Sep 14, 2010
Mark-Tampa wrote:
I HAVE A 2007 IMPALA AND IT WILL NOT START IF IT SITS FOR MORE THAN 1 DAY. IT HAS TO BE JUMP STARTED AND IT WILL FIRE UP LIKE A STRONG BRAND NEW CAR FOR THHE REST OF THE DAY. I BLAMED THE BATTERY AND WENT TO DISCOUNT AUTO GET A NEW ONE BUT THE GUY TESTED MY BATT THERE AND SAID IT WAS FINE. HE SAID IT DID HAVE "LOW CRANKNING AMPS" BUT STATED A NEW BATT WOULD NOT REMEDY THE ISSUE... HELP!!
My 2003 Chevy Impala was serviced by a Chevrolet dealership and had the catalytic converter changed. After that, it started not starting sporadically for a week or so. After that it wouldn't start at all. I got a new battery, starter, alternator, bcm fuse, had all the fuses checked, and the problem was still not solved. I was carrying a battery booster pack around with me all the time to start my car. Finally I took it to a smalltown service station called J & M Service in St. John, ND. They tested my (new) battery and found that it had a dead cell in it. The mechanic said it was definitely that way when I bought it. The mechanic loaned me a battery for the weekend so I could get another one. My car has been starting ever since. All these problems and the battery was bad. It was an Everhart battery from Wal-Mart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Impala turn signal went funky now dont work (Mar '07) 15 hr Teri 164
2014 Impala Electrical problems (Mar '14) 17 hr Jjloveee 5
No chime, no radio volume but radio does work I... (Sep '08) 18 hr Impala67 134
2003 Chev impÓla Sep 16 Steven kenison 2
Leaking anti freeze out of timing cover (/) (Jan '14) Sep 14 gamble 60 7
2001 Impala not starting (Aug '06) Sep 14 spanishjazz 191
2003 Impala Low Beams won't come on (Sep '08) Sep 5 fayej45 22
More from around the web