Impala not starting
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Will Gale

Regina, Canada

#1 Nov 20, 2006
My 2002 Impala will start perfectly most of the time. There are some times when it will not start. When I turn the key there is nothing. I wait a few minutes and it will start. Anyone else having the same issue.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chris Gregory

Pekin, IL

#2 Dec 25, 2006
probably the passlock system. i had same problem and had that replaced a few months ago. now i'm having a problem with my 02 impala starting and dying immediately afterwards.
DaveC

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jan 3, 2007
Will Gale wrote:
My 2002 Impala will start perfectly most of the time. There are some times when it will not start. When I turn the key there is nothing. I wait a few minutes and it will start. Anyone else having the same issue.
I have an 01 Impala nad am experiencing the exact same thing. Had diagnostics run on starter, battery, etc and everything came up fine. Happesn about once every 3-4 weeks, after 15 minutes it will start. Any luck on your end?
David

Tucson, AZ

#4 Jan 4, 2007
Security system locking you out. disconnect the battery and reconnect it. It's only a temporary fix.
Mike

United States

#5 Jan 8, 2007
What is the permanent fix?
Paul

Grand Forks, ND

#6 Jan 9, 2007
I had a similar problem last summer. My 01 Impala would start fine in the morning, but after sitting out in the sun, would not start at the end of the work day. No power to the radio, dome light, nothing. I had everything checked, and finally the technicians found that the body control module (BCM) was bad.
Marla

Puyallup, WA

#7 Jan 9, 2007
I've had the same problem with my 01 Impala... the radio won't turn on and the car won't start. I wait about 15 minutes or so and it's fine. I know it's likely the passlock system and a nuisance more than anything but it's happening more frequently. Now I have to be sure my radio is really off...sometimes the "off" switch in the ignition won't turn off the radio...

Anyone else had that problem?
Maria

Saint Petersburg, FL

#8 Jan 16, 2007
Having the same problem with my 01-only 53000 mi.
I even had a problem with it totally dying on me
while in the middle of driving down the road. Sometimes it would start right back up, other times not. My mechanic checked it and replaced my mass air flow sensor (for the second time) it ran great, now its doing it AGAIN and now my service traction system light is on! I dont think I should be having this much trouble...taking it in tomorrow-
SHARIF

Barrie, Canada

#9 Jan 26, 2007
My 2004 Impala from work got me stranded in the middle of the night. The Ignition got locked. and no it was not the stearing lock. The ignition would not turn at all... I was really pissed off cause i had to go to an alarm and i got in shit for it. Car got towed to the shop and started fine at the shop next morning.
KURT

Atlanta, GA

#10 Jan 26, 2007
2000 IMPALA WITH PASSLOCK PROBLEMS ANY IDEA HOW MUCHIT COST TO REPLACE THE PASSLOCK SYSTEM? WONT START SOMETIMES .........SECURITY LIGHT COMES ON.
Ray

Myrtle Beach, SC

#11 Jan 27, 2007
Disable your Passlock. Just Google "Passlock I or II Disablement." You should be able to figure it out from there.
Billy

Huntington Station, NY

#12 May 19, 2007
Mike wrote:
Get rid of the car and get a different one.
glenn

Roblin, Canada

#13 May 21, 2007
Will Gale wrote:
same problem on 2001 impala starts sometimes then will hae no problem for weeks. thot it wsas starter, changd kept happening changed ign switch worked great for 3 months now does it againsometimes
glenn

Roblin, Canada

#14 May 21, 2007
DaveC wrote:
<quoted text>
I have an 01 Impala nad am experiencing the exact same thing. Had diagnostics run on starter, battery, etc and everything came up fine. Happesn about once every 3-4 weeks, after 15 minutes it will start. Any luck on your end?
same problem 2001 impala thot it was starter no changed ign switch worked fine for a while now periodically wont start again . just pisses me off
BIGB

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 May 21, 2007
Just burn all IMPALAS. I started having problems with my ignition. It would not turn to ACC, ON, or START. It was off and on for about a week until the other day. It was done. I replaced the ignition cylinder and switch. Now the car won't do anything, not even try to start. My power doors, radio, dome light, trunk switch, headlights and key fob don't work. It ran perfect before the ignition relplacement. I talked to a dealer and he automatically said it was the BCM. Who knows? I told him to try the relearn first. Any help out there?
Matthew

Ozark, MO

#16 Jun 1, 2007
I have the same problem with my 2004 Impala with 80000 miles on it. About two to three times a week I will go to start the car and turn the key, all the gauges will engage and it acts like the car is going to start, but when I turn the key all the way "nothing". I have figured out that if I sit there with the key in the ignition for 10 minutes, then I can start the car right up. The automotive shop that I take the car to says the car gives no fault codes and evertyhing starter, alternator, battery, etc., looks good. I have noticed though that the security light comes on. I am going to try the passlock system. Any other suggestions that have worked?
Theo M

Gloversville, NY

#17 Jul 15, 2007
Just started a couple of weeks ago having a problem starting my 2002 Impala. Turn the key and nothing, except the dashboard lights. No interior lights, no radio but the power windows worked. After about 30 minutes it started right up. This happened twice. Had it into Northtar Chevrolet service department. They tried to do a diagnostics and said that the after market remote starter interfered with theie test and needed to be removed. They indicated it was the remote starter causing the problem. It cost me $333.96 to get the remote starter removed and have the diagnostics test done. They said everything now checked out fine. The next day I had the same problem.
Once it started after banging on the dashboard and the other time I held the key on in the start position for about 3 seconds.
will

Broken Arrow, OK

#18 Jul 29, 2007
Mike wrote:
another unlucky impala owner such as us used a cleaning fluid on thin cloth wraped around the key to clean the lock. Having no cleaning fluid no more patience and a dead impala and fire insurance I used a thin cloth with gasoline. being determined to end this issue I also smoked while doing this. unfortunatly the fumes did not ignite, however, the security light did go out. there is also a module you can purchase for around 60 dollars that learns the code and bypasses the system when you start the car being in the same boat as the rest of you i understand your frustration. i Will keep researching and let you know if i find anything else that might help Good luck to us all!
will

Broken Arrow, OK

#19 Jul 29, 2007
KURT wrote:
2000 IMPALA WITH PASSLOCK PROBLEMS ANY IDEA HOW MUCHIT COST TO REPLACE THE PASSLOCK SYSTEM? WONT START SOMETIMES .........SECURITY LIGHT COMES ON.
posted a reply below on two possible solutions good luck
Candy - Houston TX

Houston, TX

#20 Aug 2, 2007
I'm ready to give up on '04 Impalas and car dealerships screwing ladies. Excuse me BUT my Impala's security light has stayed on for sometime now. And as all of you, the ignition won't turn on. MacHaik dealership charged me $378 to replace BOM, then today wanted to charge me another $620 for the switch. Sorry serviceman reduced the price when I argued that they just charged me $378 the day before. I not only have a crap car but getting screwed by a dealership as well. Anybody know an honest place in Houston TX I can use to get a second opinion about what to fix or what not to fix?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car won't start after sitting over night 6 hr Purplexed in ny 1
impala 2014 water leaks (Jan '14) Fri MNSHVA 42
2002 Impala Problems (May '07) Fri Mike50090 449
2000 Impala Hot at idle or stopped - cools when... (Oct '09) Fri Jennifer 29
my check engine light is on and then flashes Thu eric citrano 1
jerking Thu Arlene Jacobs 1
water leak coming in front passenger side. (Sep '11) Thu haibird 30
More from around the web