GM may reopen some factories to meet higher demand

Full story: Daily Breeze 17
General Motors Co. may reopen some shuttered factories because it can't produce certain vehicles fast enough, its North American president said Monday. Full Story
Who Does Your Taxes

Pacoima, CA

#1 Jan 11, 2010
Good news always welcomed.
TaxedPayer

Spring Hill, TN

#2 Jan 11, 2010
Don't start counting Chickens yet.
True it's better news than outright selling the Plant, but GM will 'only' open a closed plant if it has no other options such as increasing output of current open plants with extra shifts/overtime etc.
And draining inventories at dealerships to the bone.
ghj

Covington, KY

#3 Jan 11, 2010
GDP grew in the 3rd quarter, jobs are always lagging the numbers recovery in each recession. Those thinking about long-term recovery, know the enviroment will be a big winner in the conversion to biofuels & biopower -- saw a cool site; Balkingpoints ; incredible satellite view of earth

Since: Jul 09

Spring Hill,TN

#4 Jan 12, 2010
ghj- What the hell are u talking about.
Cold Truth

AOL

#5 Jan 13, 2010
If GM opens plants, who said they would be in the USA?
Cold Truth

AOL

#6 Jan 13, 2010
Who Does Your Taxes wrote:
Good news always welcomed.
If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you.
R-Smart

Newhall, CA

#7 Jan 13, 2010
Cold Truth wrote:
<quoted text>If you believe this I have a bridge to sell you.
You may want to hang onto that bridge, you may want to cross it someday. Sometimes imaginations become a reality.
Cold Truth

AOL

#8 Jan 13, 2010
R-Smart wrote:
<quoted text>
You may want to hang onto that bridge, you may want to cross it someday. Sometimes imaginations become a reality.
No imagination about it. This is GM propoganda. I worked there 25 years, I can recognize thier spin from smell. It is an attempt to promote the illusion that they are doing better, much better, than they actually are to entice people to buy from them. Sorry it's the cold truth.
Open the plants

Columbia, TN

#9 Jan 13, 2010
Cold Truth wrote:
<quoted text>No imagination about it. This is GM propoganda. I worked there 25 years, I can recognize thier spin from smell. It is an attempt to promote the illusion that they are doing better, much better, than they actually are to entice people to buy from them. Sorry it's the cold truth.
Can you prove this is the "truth"? Didn't think so.

What's wrong with GM posting that they are doing better, and might reopen a idled plant? That's good news, even though it might not happen overnight. Why are you and others so negative and feel the need to stifle any hopes that laid off workers might get their jobs back?
What you may have experienced in the past might not be what is happening today.I worked for GM 35 years and have seen some dumb moves, but that was then. It's a different ball game nowadays.
Don't be so negative about a ray of hope that one of the idled plants will reopen.

I know the demand could be filled by existing plants running more hours/shifts, etc., that's the plan for now. But if the sales grow, over that amount, then you will see plants rehiring here in the US. It would be practical, plus a good public relations issue on keeping jobs here in the US. It could turn out to be a positive snowball effect. Would you like to see that? If you're collecting a pension we hope your answer is yes.
Cold Truth

AOL

#10 Jan 14, 2010
Open the plants wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you prove this is the "truth"? Didn't think so.
What's wrong with GM posting that they are doing better, and might reopen a idled plant? That's good news, even though it might not happen overnight. Why are you and others so negative and feel the need to stifle any hopes that laid off workers might get their jobs back?
What you may have experienced in the past might not be what is happening today.I worked for GM 35 years and have seen some dumb moves, but that was then. It's a different ball game nowadays.
Don't be so negative about a ray of hope that one of the idled plants will reopen.
I know the demand could be filled by existing plants running more hours/shifts, etc., that's the plan for now. But if the sales grow, over that amount, then you will see plants rehiring here in the US. It would be practical, plus a good public relations issue on keeping jobs here in the US. It could turn out to be a positive snowball effect. Would you like to see that? If you're collecting a pension we hope your answer is yes.
It is cruel to hold out hope where there is none. Poeple need to move on and find new opportunities. They can't wait around and wait on GM to call them back. It is irresponsible for GM to even put this out there. GM historically holds plans close to the breast and releases plans only when a firm decision has been made conserning opening and closing plants. I worked in the belly of the management beast. This is a PR stunt to create a preception, they are hoping the old saying that preceptions become reality may work on their behalf. It is at the expense of folks holding out hope to be recalled. The danger is they will wait too long only to be dissappointed. I saw the hand writting on the wall and lobbied for an early out, then took a lump sum retirement distribution. They tried to talk me out of a lump and assured me it was safe, I wanted to make sure it was. I experinced too many of the deceptive practices to trust them. If you worked there, you know I am right.
Open the plants

Columbia, TN

#11 Jan 14, 2010
Cold Truth wrote:
<quoted text>It is cruel to hold out hope where there is none. Poeple need to move on and find new opportunities. They can't wait around and wait on GM to call them back. It is irresponsible for GM to even put this out there. GM historically holds plans close to the breast and releases plans only when a firm decision has been made conserning opening and closing plants. I worked in the belly of the management beast. This is a PR stunt to create a preception, they are hoping the old saying that preceptions become reality may work on their behalf. It is at the expense of folks holding out hope to be recalled. The danger is they will wait too long only to be dissappointed. I saw the hand writting on the wall and lobbied for an early out, then took a lump sum retirement distribution. They tried to talk me out of a lump and assured me it was safe, I wanted to make sure it was. I experinced too many of the deceptive practices to trust them. If you worked there, you know I am right.
If you had 25 years, then you should have had enough corporate time to hold the plant, instead of taking a lump sum? The lump sum doesn't amount to anything really, that money can go fast.
Those with a lot less Corp. time than you probably made the right decision to take a buy out. Those close to 'actual' retirement age should have been able to hold on. But as you were in management perhaps your corporate time did not count?
There is always hope, unless the whole corp. goes down.

In any case, you are right, not to hold out forever for the plant to reopen. I dont think that UI and sub are running out yet are they?
It's a judgement call for some of the workers. If they felt like it was best, then they took the moving allowance and be locked in 3 years to another plant. Some took the lower amount and had recall rights in case there was work here again. I know of a few that are going to hold out, collect what they can, then move on. They have enough sense to know when to go a different route.

For some, GM is the only work they have known. Moving on, unless you have a degree, or know someone who will hire you, the jobs for unskilled workers are just not out there, so for some it's hard to just move on.Unless they take a very low wage such as Walmart or deliver pizzas. When thopse jobs are filled, then where do they go?

Yes, I did work there and do know that GM had made some stupid decisions.I genuinely feel that "they" know it's a do or die situation to get products that people want. It's the only way they will survive, as the Gubment isn't going to shell out more $$ just to keep plants running with no return.

"This is a PR stunt to create a preception, they are hoping the old saying that preceptions become reality may work on their behalf."
If this is what it is, what is wrong with making that perception, maybe getting the buyers on board for the New GM and it's products? What if it works, and the snowball effect takes place? You know it would be good, and I think you'd also like to seee workers return to their jobs, or even hire others to fill in their place.

I know folks in management too , and it is true that the workers don't know for sure what goes on behind the scenes. I can assure you that there are many 'chess games' and working scenarios going on every day to see what the best thing for the Corp to do to prosper. I am certain they are not setting themselves up to fail. What would be the use?

So, I am not a doom and gloom kind of person, and I can see your point. But unless you are one of the decision makers at GM you really can't predict what is going to happen. I like to be on the positive side thinking that there is always hope, as long as plants are running and the whole corp. is not shut down forever like it would have been in a full on bankruptcy.
(Worked in GA)
Regards.



“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#12 Feb 5, 2010
Drive these liberal asian POS out of the USA

They ruined your country, So take your country back

GO GM!!!!!!!
Dont mess with Texas

Spring Hill, TN

#13 Feb 5, 2010
The Federal Government appears to have temporally taken control over GM at least for the time being.
GM is currently paying back the government.
GM/Gov later decided to shut down SH plant.
Was there anything more (I really mean anything) that the state, county, city or the union could have done to prevent this terrible thing from happenning?
Cold Truth

AOL

#14 Feb 7, 2010
Open the plants wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had 25 years, then you should have had enough corporate time to hold the plant, instead of taking a lump sum? The lump sum doesn't amount to anything really, that money can go fast.
Those with a lot less Corp. time than you probably made the right decision to take a buy out. Those close to 'actual' retirement age should have been able to hold on. But as you were in management perhaps your corporate time did not count?
There is always hope, unless the whole corp. goes down.
In any case, you are right, not to hold out forever for the plant to reopen. I dont think that UI and sub are running out yet are they?
It's a judgement call for some of the workers. If they felt like it was best, then they took the moving allowance and be locked in 3 years to another plant. Some took the lower amount and had recall rights in case there was work here again. I know of a few that are going to hold out, collect what they can, then move on. They have enough sense to know when to go a different route.
For some, GM is the only work they have known. Moving on, unless you have a degree, or know someone who will hire you, the jobs for unskilled workers are just not out there, so for some it's hard to just move on.Unless they take a very low wage such as Walmart or deliver pizzas. When thopse jobs are filled, then where do they go?
Yes, I did work there and do know that GM had made some stupid decisions.I genuinely feel that "they" know it's a do or die situation to get products that people want. It's the only way they will survive, as the Gubment isn't going to shell out more $$ just to keep plants running with no return.
"This is a PR stunt to create a preception, they are hoping the old saying that preceptions become reality may work on their behalf."
If this is what it is, what is wrong with making that perception, maybe getting the buyers on board for the New GM and it's products? What if it works, and the snowball effect takes place? You know it would be good, and I think you'd also like to seee workers return to their jobs, or even hire others to fill in their place.
I know folks in management too , and it is true that the workers don't know for sure what goes on behind the scenes. I can assure you that there are many 'chess games' and working scenarios going on every day to see what the best thing for the Corp to do to prosper. I am certain they are not setting themselves up to fail. What would be the use?
So, I am not a doom and gloom kind of person, and I can see your point. But unless you are one of the decision makers at GM you really can't predict what is going to happen. I like to be on the positive side thinking that there is always hope, as long as plants are running and the whole corp. is not shut down forever like it would have been in a full on bankruptcy.
(Worked in GA)
Regards.
I worked hard,studied hard, invested well, I didn't need the pension hand out. Lump Sum & move on. I knew it was not sustainable when I walked in the door of GM.
ShopRat

Jackson, TN

#15 Feb 7, 2010
Cold Truth wrote:
<quoted text>I worked hard,studied hard, invested well, I didn't need the pension hand out. Lump Sum & move on. I knew it was not sustainable when I walked in the door of GM.
Glad that your Ok. I have and will continue to try to better my situation every chance I get. That being said I hope GM does bring work back here. One of the best jobs I have every had. I dont always agree with the politics that creates internal conflicts, But I do appreciate having a good job. When you have your own local Senator who cast a no confidence vote against your livelihood it's time to get rid of him.
Dont mess with Texas

Spring Hill, TN

#16 Feb 8, 2010
I have always been happy that the UAW folks were able to have such a good salary/benefit package. GM folks make good neighbors and good citizens.

However; I was also unhappy when the Gov used my taxes to support your good benefit package.

Our biggest problem was GM rather than our Senator. He was simply trying to prevent the Gov from spending more money than we currently are sending Washington. Wish we had more that voted against excessive spending.

I will always believe that all Gov entities should allow for hard times and never spend more money than we are currently taxed. That includes never printing more money and never having to borrow money from countries like China.

GM cast the the only important "No" vote against your livelihood.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#17 Feb 8, 2010
Youu couldnt pay me to drive a liberal lovers Jap Vehicle.......Period

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Sep 22 manna 102
Chevy Equinox - PCM Root of Problems (May '08) Sep 19 Monolo 131
Water Noise In Dash/Heater Core (2006 Equinox) (Apr '12) Sep 15 daughtryfan114 17
2005 chevy equinox problems (Feb '10) Sep 9 James 44
interested- class-action for key ignition issue... Sep 8 Lkelly 3
2010 equinox Sep 8 dave 1
Engine Misfire/Sputter (Jan '11) Sep 5 Mrsplachta 87

Chevrolet Equinox People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE