GM plans new engine work at Spring Hill, TN, report says

Sep 13, 2010 Full story: The Tennessean Nashville News 12

General Motors will build the next generation of its Ecotec four-cylinder engines at its plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., continuing some investment in the former Saturn assembly plant, a person familiar with the matter said today.

Read more
Springhillian

Spring Hill, TN

#1 Sep 13, 2010
Gee, they arent starting this until 2013.. alot can happen between now and then. Houses that were once $300k will be selling for 75k.
RLY

Spring Hill, TN

#2 Sep 14, 2010
Springhillian wrote:
Gee, they arent starting this until 2013.. alot can happen between now and then. Houses that were once $300k will be selling for 75k.
The price of housing is GM's concern?
Springhillian

Spring Hill, TN

#3 Sep 14, 2010
GM pulling out caused housing prices in this town to fall.
able

Vanderbilt, PA

#4 Sep 14, 2010
We I am looking for a new car, but won't consider GM at lease until 2013. this is one will be a Ford or the big N which moved to Cool Springs
RLY

Spring Hill, TN

#5 Sep 14, 2010
Springhillian wrote:
GM pulling out caused housing prices in this town to fall.
GM didn't pull out, they still employ about 1,000 ppl there.
But they did idle the plant as to assembling vehicles.
It's always been a cyclical industry, and no community can rely on an auto plant solely to be it's bread and butter.

That said, blaming GM for falling house prices is quite ludicrous when it's a condition across the whole country as the housing bubble burst not just in this area.
GM is a corporation and beholding to it's share owners (when and ipo comes out) and in no way has an obligation to up hold the communities standard of living.
Perhaps the community was a bit overzealous with it's spending and it's residents thinking the cash cow would be here forever?
After all (as you are noticing)$300k for a home in cow town USA amidst corn/soybean fields is reminiscent of the Gold rush Towns out west after the "Gold" played out.
I'm sure there were those (then) that blamed the mine owners for the Town drying up.

your kidding

Columbia, TN

#6 Sep 15, 2010
hmmm.....and what were those houses worth before GM?....how many profitted from the sale of the land and houses when GM came here increasing everyones property?...this community did nothing but profit from GMs presence here. Be patient, this is normal in the automotive industry. layoffs occur, they will be back up and running before you know it.
cleanliving

Columbia, TN

#7 Sep 28, 2010
Thanks RLY for giving a sense of sanity to the discussion.

I wonder why though when good news like adding jobs come around, it seems that people are resistant to the idea? Maybe it is envy that some will have their jobs back. I don't know. With more people working, more money is spent in the local area. Isn't that good folks?

I'll bet if the plant did get a new vehicle, and they needed manpower (manpower will be needed) and hired from the local community, the nay-sayers would be first in line for the jobs. Even at the start rate of $14/hr. they'd be lining up. I don't blame them.
Wouldn't it be great if people would welcome new work, not begrudge it? Even if I am not a part of a business or factory, I would say 'more power to you', because we all benefit when everywone is working.
Have a good week people......
MCParent

Spring Hill, TN

#8 Sep 28, 2010
cleanliving wrote:
Thanks RLY for giving a sense of sanity to the discussion.
I wonder why though when good news like adding jobs come around, it seems that people are resistant to the idea? Maybe it is envy that some will have their jobs back. I don't know. With more people working, more money is spent in the local area. Isn't that good folks?
I'll bet if the plant did get a new vehicle, and they needed manpower (manpower will be needed) and hired from the local community, the nay-sayers would be first in line for the jobs. Even at the start rate of $14/hr. they'd be lining up. I don't blame them.
Wouldn't it be great if people would welcome new work, not begrudge it? Even if I am not a part of a business or factory, I would say 'more power to you', because we all benefit when everywone is working.
Have a good week people......
Thanks Mayor Dinwiddie!
Springhillian

Spring Hill, TN

#9 Sep 28, 2010
I hope they hire 10,000 Springhillians and they all come to town to buy our devalued houses.
EEforX

Spring Hill, TN

#10 Sep 28, 2010
MCParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Mayor Dinwiddie!
Funny, I thought the same thing!
Kelly

Spring Hill, TN

#11 Oct 27, 2010
What ever happend with this? Have they started up?
ACadyeH

United States

#12 May 10, 2011
All I have to say is that my fiancÚ loved working at GM before he got laid off, and when they reopen in Spring Hill were praying that he can get back on there :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2006 Chevy Equinox heater blows cool air? (May '08) 1 hr chris 724
2011 chevy equinox odor (Sep '11) Thu Larry H 8
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Mar 25 Kris 112
Equinox Central.com --- Owners have posted lot... (Oct '06) Mar 25 lew328 509
Engine Misfire/Sputter (Jan '11) Mar 25 Ini99 99
Mystery oil leak 2005 Equinox front right corner Mar 23 Troy 2
Water Noise In Dash/Heater Core (2006 Equinox) (Apr '12) Mar 17 Pissed 06 equinox... 34
More from around the web