Equinox leaks water in back
Pat in TX

Rhome, TX

#21 Jan 25, 2010
Water in my spare tire well. Moldy smell and then found standing water in my floor board in the back. Took it to dealership. Out of warranty because I have 42,00 miles. Said I would have to pay. Spoke to service manager and he agreed to find the leak and then determine if it was normal wear & tear or defect. it is an 'o7. How can it be wear & tear? They are to call me tomorrow. I will post again when I find out. If I have to pay there is going to be one hot lady in
Texas that will soon be driving a Ford product!
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#22 Jan 26, 2010
Another update... Did the mold testing kit on my car and guess what.... there is mold in it. Thanks to the people who financed my car I turned the plates in on it. And lowered the insurance coverage. Trying to cut down on the expenses of something I cannot use. Will be filing suit very soon.
CJ in TX

Burleson, TX

#23 Jan 29, 2010
Our 08 Equinox has leaked from day one. This was our first brand new vehicle. We checked the windsheild, windows, and roof,but found no leaks. The smell is so bad you gag. We've replace the left front headlight twice because it fills up with water. It just rained and the vehicle is flooded you can hear the water sloshing in the back. The dealer we bought it from went out of buisness about a year ago. My husband just found out from a different dealer that the leak is from the hatch. HAS THERE BEEN OR IS THERE A RECALL to fix this problem. The dealer said it would cost over $600 to repair and that he would check to see if GM would help us out. Hmmm.
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#24 Jan 29, 2010
There was a service advisory for the 2007 model about the leak. We followed the instructions and still leaking. we are up to finding 10 different leaks on the vehicle. And if you are still within your warranty. the cost should be covered. I have not paid anything. Have them check the service advisory. I think there is a place on the internet to find this out also.. I just cant recall where it is. They will not do a recall because it is believed not to be a "safety" issue. HMM! Wouldn't that apply to mold?
Leigh

Coatesville, IN

#25 Feb 15, 2010
Bridget wrote:
Another update... Did the mold testing kit on my car and guess what.... there is mold in it. Thanks to the people who financed my car I turned the plates in on it. And lowered the insurance coverage. Trying to cut down on the expenses of something I cannot use. Will be filing suit very soon.
Where can I buy the mold testing kit?
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#26 Feb 15, 2010
My warranty covered everything. the only problem is that it is still not fixed. Just filed suit... waiting for court date.
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#27 Feb 15, 2010
I bought the mold testing kit at lowes. Its a home testing kit.
Leigh

Coatesville, IN

#28 Feb 16, 2010
I have contacted the Lemon Law attorneys to try and help. It is so frustrating and ridiculous that GM doesn't want to help with this problem. I wish you the best of luck and am curious to see how it works out for you.
Wen

Seguin, TX

#29 Mar 6, 2010
I have the same issue, there is 184 + pages of this issue here: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-eq ... also, GM will not admit to the factory defect, but they do have a report here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla .... Younona,(the comment before this one, obviously you don't own an Equinox, or you haven't looked in your spare tire well. I thought the car was great too, I'm not sure I'm a GM fan anymore either, the way this is going.
Leigh

Coatesville, IN

#30 Mar 12, 2010
The Lemon Law attorney here in Indiana has sent me papers stating that my car is eligible. The dealership has had my vehicle 5 times now, even had me come up and inspect the interior after they completely stripped it, to which I saw nothing but the musty smell is still there. I just hate it and don't think I will buy GM anymore.
Dawn

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Mar 16, 2010
My mother's '07 Equinox has all the same issues: water in spare tire well and in back driver side floor. Her car is out of warranty and dealership told her it's her responsibility to pay to fix it. This is crazy. How do we go about filing a Class Action suit??
Big D in NH

Concord, NH

#32 Mar 16, 2010
Same deal... I parked the car in the garage for the first 2 years I owned it and then started parking outside. Mold stench and and I have severe allergies to mold. I opened up the spare tire and 6 inches of water.... I drilled a couple of holes in it for now to let it out but the mold in the car is making me sick, literally!!! GM wanted to send me to the water leak place and did not want to admit something was wrong with these cars. I would put in a new rug but it will just get moldy. I took out the roof liner and interior panels and sprayed with pressure water but nothing was coming in. Maybe it is in from the wheel wells on mine. Lifetime chevy driver and a little upsetting that nothing is being acknowledged or worked on for this... Then again since the government technically ownes GM what can we expect for service? Over pay and get nothing in return as usual ;-(
Unhappy car owner

Decatur, IN

#33 Mar 17, 2010
I had the same problem a couple of months ago after a significant amount of rain. I was going down a hill and water started rushing in from under the back seats, the spare tire well was completely full. I took it to the dealership and one of the employees indicated that my car was the 4th equinox with the problem that week, including his own. However, it cost over $600.00 to fix. I am now having difficulty every time it rains with electrical problems. The blinkers will randomly turn on and the radio will flicker on and off.
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#34 Mar 19, 2010
STILL WAITING! update.... we are still waiting on a court date. served GM with papers. I am still not driving my equinox and have taken the plates off and turned them in... thanks to my very understanding finance company I can reduce my insurance to practically nothing. Still making the 500.00 note every month for something I cannot use... I am no longer sick... YEA!!! Quit driving car and am no longer on ANY Medication. Still go for my Allergy shots for mold every week. But NO more inhalers, prednisone, breathing treatments, shots to open up my lungs... Not to mention all the medical test to rule out other stuff (besides the mold) that could be the problem. I will be happy when this is all over. THINKING of starting a I HATE EQUINOX CLUB!!! Still "warning" people about their possible water leak in their cars when I see an Equinox on the road. Have gotten about 50% with the problem... And could never understand why their carpet would get wet sometime.... Good luck to everyone.. I will keep you posted.
christi from texas

San Antonio, TX

#35 Apr 18, 2010
this is so ridiculous, i smelt the moldy smell about a year ago on my 2005 equinox but then it went away , a week ago we got a huge rain storm flooding most of our area and the smell came back, my husband and i checked everywhere to figure out where the smell was coming from and to our surprise we lifted the spare tire to find at least a half a gallon of water, im so mad, what do i do?
Bridget

Montgomery, TX

#36 Apr 18, 2010
get some tylenol and get ready for ALOT of crap... To begin with you need to look up the lemon law requirements for your state. You are probably out of warranty and I have no faith in the service dept. to fix it. It is not their fault just no solution to the problem. My Equinox has turned into an expensive lawn ornament... Just sitting there....the latest on my lemon law case. GM wants to give me 5500.00 and me keep the car including me making the payments on it. Of course this would not fix the problem and the mold induced asthma is sure to come back... so 5500.00 to get me to shut up.. I think NOT!!! Just hoping for a court date soon. I want to tell my story. I have not went after them for doctor bills or anything else.. but let them keep PISSING me off!
Wen

Dallas, TX

#37 Apr 19, 2010
christi from texas wrote:
this is so ridiculous, i smelt the moldy smell about a year ago on my 2005 equinox but then it went away , a week ago we got a huge rain storm flooding most of our area and the smell came back, my husband and i checked everywhere to figure out where the smell was coming from and to our surprise we lifted the spare tire to find at least a half a gallon of water, im so mad, what do i do?
I have the same issue, there is 262 comments on this issue here: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-eq... also, GM will not admit to the factory defect, but they do have a report here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla... You have to call GM see if they'll "work" with you, I took the Diagnostic Guide in with me when I went to the dealership, they wanted to charge me $300 to fix it, GM paid for 1/2 after the Service Manager got on the horn with GM. Whatever, it's not leaked since then, but none of this is fair.
ignacio

Olathe, KS

#38 Apr 26, 2010
my 2007 equinx is also geting water in the spare tire,the maker knows(chevrolet)all of you having the same problem need to report to chevrolet
Big D in NH

Concord, NH

#39 Jun 5, 2010
Same issue, I just drilled a hole in the spare tire place to let the standing water from building up.

If anyone gets information about a recall then make sure you email me ([email protected])

I have mold allergies and i almost cannot drive the car and I really worry about the health of my infants....
and WE bailed THEM out

Orangeville, Canada

#40 Jun 14, 2010
the only bail out I get is when I have to remove a gallon of water from the tire storage compartment after every rainfall!! My carpet gets wet and it smells swampy also. To top it off I discovered it after my warranty period expired...but wait, I have a GM extended warranty so no problem right. Well apparently water leaks are not covered under the extended warranty. Let's just say I was misled at the time of purchase but that's another issue. Being that it's a lease, I think I'll just leave it as is and turn it back over to them.
Have you driven a Ford lately? I know I will be!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2006 Chevy Equinox heater blows cool air? (May '08) 4 hr AJR 750
Equinox Central.com --- Owners have posted lot... (Oct '06) Sun Joanna 565
Water Noise In Dash/Heater Core (2006 Equinox) (Apr '12) Jan 17 Anonymous 52
Equinox having trouble starting (Aug '07) Jan 17 beto3531 230
Equinox (Jun '06) Jan 9 Shanta1982 154
2012 equinox wont start Jan 8 KYRA 1
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Jan 1 Betty 127
More from around the web