First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lee

Lynwood, CA

#1 Feb 8, 2009
My 05 Nox leaks when it rains, somewhere in the back tailgate. I haven't been able to figure out how water is getting into the spare tire well. Any ideas out there?
Karen

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Feb 19, 2009
Lee wrote:
My 05 Nox leaks when it rains, somewhere in the back tailgate. I haven't been able to figure out how water is getting into the spare tire well. Any ideas out there?
I took my 2007 to the dealership and was told there were pine needles clogging the drainage hole on the back side of the drivers side tailight housing??? I don't know if I buy it, because I've seen many similar comments out there. What are the odds that everyone's vehicle is clogged??? I am also having serious problems with excessive fogging of all windows, in addition to a musty smell eminating from the vents when a/c or defroster used.
Chris

Canada

#3 Feb 20, 2009
I have the same problem, excessive fogging of all windows with musty smell!! need to resolve this issue A.S.A.P. ANY HELP ON CAUSE(S) greatly appreciated.
ashley

Paris, TX

#4 Mar 12, 2009
my 07 equinox is also getting water in the tire well but they dont know where the leak is coming from
shelley

Waco, TX

#5 Mar 13, 2009
my 07 also is leaking water, has that smell from the vents...im thinking my brand new car is a lemon! has anyone resolved these problems in their own car yet? I was told to run the A/C on high to get rid of the smell. It is supposedly some kind of leak with the A/C, go figure. It helps, but I know the problem still exists. But, now that April Shower season has approached, my car is mysteriously taking on water in the back. Not sure where it's coming from! Someone help us please!!!
marie

Beech Grove, IN

#6 Apr 7, 2009
I've had the same problem with my Equinox. My father owns a GM dealership and they have looked at it many times. They came to the conclusion that the water is coming in from the back and sitting in the spare tire well. They put sealant all around the edges in the tire well. I've not had problems since!
Andy

Hartsville, SC

#7 Apr 13, 2009
I have had this same issue. My 2007 Equinox is at the dealership right now. When I turned it in, the service tech knew exactly what I was talking about. He said they'd seen several Equinoxs like this. So I'll report back tomorrow what they say. Mine is still under warranty.
Andy

Hartsville, SC

#8 Apr 14, 2009
Ok I am following up from my post yesterday. The leak in my 07 Equinox came from unsealed gromets from the where the rear spoiler meets the body. The dealership said they sealed it off. They outsourced the work to a company called Water Doctors. You can see the link below. If you live near one, you can take your Equinox in to have it fixed, or you can download instructuions from the site and fix it yourself. I hope this helps. Also remember to join my Equinox Facebook group. Search for Equinox Owners.

http://www.waterdoctors.com/default.htm
Sue

Bremerton, WA

#9 May 7, 2009
My 2006 Equinox leaks from the driver side near the Hood release I have to keep towels down when it rains. any suggestions??????? In washington state where it rains all the time is not good-.
Teresa

Memphis, TN

#10 Jul 22, 2009
I just bought a 2006 Equinox and thought the musty smell was cigarettes. I was horrified to find my spare wheel well full of water after a heavy rain just a week after I bought it. I am sick over this and hope all of your suggestions will help me fix this problem. I truly believe that the dealer was aware of this problem and withheld information from me when I noticed the smell during the test drive. It also appears that a former owner did try to seal the corners of the spare wheel well. My "new" car is now my biggest mistake!
Bridget

Willis, TX

#11 Aug 4, 2009
good luck, I have a 07 Equinox and after taking it to the dealership and them sending it out for repair and fixing 9-10 leaks..... I still have water under the spare tire... Also major concern for mold buildup in my carpet. Contacted a lemon law attorney today. The dealership advised me to do it. I'm soooooooooo tired of having to deal with this.
Teresa

Memphis, TN

#12 Aug 5, 2009
After I posted my comments about the water in the wheel well, I had my husband investigate the matter. We got out the hose and started watering down the back of the vehicle until water appeared in the well. He noticed that it seemed to be coming from the rubber gasket that goes all the way around the hatch. We started pulling on it from the bottom center and it easily popped right out in our hands. we pulled another 8 inches on either side until the gasket seemed to be securely glued or calked. Then we pushed it back in snuggly. To my total amazement, no water has entered my vehicle since, and we have had severe thunderstorms and I have washed my car too. I must have checked back there 10 times before I finally stopped worrying about it. The only reason I remembered was because this website notified me that someone else has commented. Good Luck NOX owner, and please try my remedy before you give up hope.
Bridget

Willis, TX

#13 Aug 5, 2009
that was one of the 9 or 10 leaks they have fixed so far. thanks for sharing.
Ken - Clarkston MI

Clarkston, MI

#14 Aug 11, 2009
Wow I was going nuts trying to understnad how I could get water in the spare tire area after it rained. Now I see I am not alone. I can back the car onto a boat ramp to put the waverunner in and no water. If I keep it outdoors during a rainstorm I get water. Sounds like I am not alone but there is no single root cause. I will water it down tomorrow with the hose and check the gasket although the carpet on top of the spare is never wet. I have 80,000 miles and this is my only problem...but it's annoying
younona

Iasi, Romania

#15 Aug 18, 2009
2010 Chevrolet Equinox
I think this car is the best car from Chevrolet.
I love this car because has a great interior and exterior, I travel a lot and I need a car like this :)
see more about this famouse car on tospeed.com
Wen

Irving, TX

#16 Oct 13, 2009
I have the same issue, there is 184 + pages of this issue here: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-eq... also, GM will not admit to the factory defect, but they do have a report here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla... . Younona,(the comment before this one, obviously you don't own an Equinox, or you haven't looked in your spare tire well. I thought the car was great too, I'm not sure I'm a GM fan anymore either, the way this is going.
D in memphis tn

Nashville, TN

#17 Dec 14, 2009
i am so upset regarding the leak in the back seat. I just took my car to the dealer and they said it is not covered. They said it would cost 581.72 to correct, I see this is a known issue! Im starting to HATE GM I am going to make sure they are out on blast regarding thei defect!!!! My car smells horrible!!
redsalasa05

Chesapeake, VA

#18 Jan 12, 2010
I CANT STOP CRYING!! i have about ten gallons of standing water in my tire well and the dealer ship just sent me to a "water work place" it will cost me 1,000 dollars.. insurance will not cover it will take 4days to fix it. It will cost 180.00 to rent a car. I have no radio the water damage blew my amp located under back seats so i have to that fixed!! no one can just empty out the water till i come up with this lump sum of money
Bridget

Willis, TX

#19 Jan 12, 2010
here's an update... I now have a lemon law atty. we are waiting for better business bureau to inspect my vehicle. I have purchased a mold kit and will put it in the car tomarrow. I have been back and forth to the doctor soooo many times lately. They now think I have asthma due to being around mold... hmm wonder where I could have been around mold..... my doctor advised me not to drive my car anymore.. GM does not want to do anything about this. I am so sick of this. Now my car is parked under a car cover. Gotta love paying for a car note and insurance on something I cannot drive. I have made it my goal to make sure every equinox I see driving around knows to check for this issue... hopefully I can catch them before their warranty wears out.
Mad at dealerships

Fishers, IN

#20 Jan 18, 2010
the dealership that we bought the car from is aying that our warranty doesnt cover the leak. I told the service dude to look online to see how many other equinoxes have this SAME problem, but he didnt care. He said that since there isnt a Government recall, they cant do anything. He thought that $1000.00 was a good price to pay to seal the rubber part up. Are you freaking kidding me... um no thanks. So if any of you got your warranty to cover this... I just want to know how.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Mon rick 101
Water Noise In Dash/Heater Core (2006 Equinox) (Apr '12) Mon daughtryfan114 17
2005 chevy equinox problems (Feb '10) Sep 9 James 44
interested- class-action for key ignition issue... Sep 8 Lkelly 3
2010 equinox Sep 8 dave 1
Chevy Equinox - PCM Root of Problems (May '08) Sep 6 Jim 130
Engine Misfire/Sputter (Jan '11) Sep 5 Mrsplachta 87

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••