GM will restart the now-shuttered vehicle assembly line at Spring...

Jan 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Tennessean

GM will restart the now-shuttered vehicle assembly line at Spring Hill to begin producing the Chevrolet Equinox.

Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

When?????

“Smoke em if you got em.”

Since: Dec 11

Drink coffee, not Kool-Aid.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Judged:

Who care's?

They have to pay a "BONUS" to the people that were laid off, so they'll come back to work and they still aren't going to hire any locals any time soon.

Forgive me if I keep the champagne on ice for the time being.

Since: May 11

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Judged:

Last I read was that 400 to 500 new hires will be needed above and beyond any currently laid off workers after they are recalled.
And by the way, laid off workers don't need a bonus to be called back to work... simply untrue.

I would suggest contacting GM Spring Hill assembly directly to answer the question as to when or where and how to apply rather than relying on hearsay info on this site.

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Judged:

Here is some current info I have found on a web site, 12/27/2011.

http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information...

It might be of some help, but again it's not the same as info from the Company itself.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Judged:

TaxedPayer wrote:
Last I read was that 400 to 500 new hires will be needed above and beyond any currently laid off workers after they are recalled.
And by the way, laid off workers don't need a bonus to be called back to work... simply untrue.
I would suggest contacting GM Spring Hill assembly directly to answer the question as to when or where and how to apply rather than relying on hearsay info on this site.
I stand corrected, the bonus was for agreeing / signing for the new contract. You guy’s got something like $5,000 wasn’t it?

I’ll believe the numbers of locals being hired when I see it, last time the “locals” are being hired was declared it really didn’t pan out, unless you count working for the suppliers.

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Dang Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
I stand corrected, the bonus was for agreeing / signing for the new contract. You guy’s got something like $5,000 wasn’t it?
I’ll believe the numbers of locals being hired when I see it, last time the “locals” are being hired was declared it really didn’t pan out, unless you count working for the suppliers.
I didn't "get" anything as I don't work there.
As far as how many locals get hired will be a matter of math.
Number of jobs available after the current laid off workers are called back.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

Judged:

TaxedPayer wrote:
Here is some current info I have found on a web site, 12/27/2011.

http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information...

It might be of some help, but again it's not the same as info from the Company itself.
Thanks for the info and link. I'm currently laid-off and second tier pay sounds good to me!

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2012

TN_Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info and link. I'm currently laid-off and second tier pay sounds good to me!
Yer welcome TN_Gal, as far as second tier work goes, it was my understanding at the time that it's not necessarily 'new hires' that set the second tier limit on pay.
What it 'was' supposed to be was certain jobs, offline sub-assembly work, fork truck driver etc. was a second tier pay rate.
Not working the 'line' so to speak, which was first tier pay rate.
IF a first tier job became available and was taken by a new hire, they would get first tier pay.
At least that was what I was told at the time.

Good luck at getting a job, wish I could have been of more help but I've been out of the loop for a while now.
However I would strongly recommend finding someone that does work there to help give you an 'in' so to speak.
About 95% of all the GM employees I have ever known got in by knowing someone. wink and a nod.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2012

TaxedPayer wrote:
<quoted text>Yer welcome TN_Gal, as far as second tier work goes, it was my understanding at the time that it's not necessarily 'new hires' that set the second tier limit on pay.
What it 'was' supposed to be was certain jobs, offline sub-assembly work, fork truck driver etc. was a second tier pay rate.
Not working the 'line' so to speak, which was first tier pay rate.
IF a first tier job became available and was taken by a new hire, they would get first tier pay.
At least that was what I was told at the time.

Good luck at getting a job, wish I could have been of more help but I've been out of the loop for a while now.
However I would strongly recommend finding someone that does work there to help give you an 'in' so to speak.
About 95% of all the GM employees I have ever known got in by knowing someone. wink and a nod.
That's what I am finding out, it's who you know. Oh well, you never know what will happen :)

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

TN_Gal wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I am finding out, it's who you know. Oh well, you never know what will happen :)
Unfortunately life isn't fair, GM/UAW or just about any other large company works the same... sort of.
It's who you know...and the higher up on the food chain (corporate or Union ladder) your contact is the better.

I first learned of this (naive kid that I was) many yrs ago when I put in 4 applications over a 1 yr time frame, I never got a reply.
After someone I knew in Management heard I was applying they said they would put in a good word on Monday...I started working on Thursday of the same week.

Good luck.
UAW and Lucky

Columbia, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

Judged:

Dang Yankee wrote:
Who care's?
They have to pay a "BONUS" to the people that were laid off, so they'll come back to work and they still aren't going to hire any locals any time soon.
Forgive me if I keep the champagne on ice for the time being.
GM doesn't pay employees anything to return to their rightful jobs. Shows how little you know about the UAW. Try minding your own business.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

Judged:

UAW and Lucky wrote:
<quoted text>
GM doesn't pay employees anything to return to their rightful jobs. Shows how little you know about the UAW. Try minding your own business.
As a taxpayer and part owner of Government Motors it is my business.
1853 YES

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

UAW and Lucky, you are right on Brother! The whiners complain about not having work, then whine because GM will be hiring. They are clueless! GM has just about paid back their LOAN to the gov't. Having the govt involved may have been a good thing, to get upper management on the ball.
To those looking for work, good luck, It is not going to be the "wink and nod", like in the old days. It hasn't been that way in years! For those that have never worked an assembly line, and think the jobs are gravy, you are in for a big surprise. You may not be able to hang. The last wave of temps they hired were going to lunch and not coming back. Got a taste of reality there.
So Yankee, since your tax dollars are invested into GM indirectly, it would be in YOUR best interest to support GM and their products.
Don't disparage the workers that to the work. They are good people that would help you out in a heartbeat.

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Heh, like a wink and a nod will 'ever' go away is a pipe dream.
2 applications...
One nameless and faceless piece of paper.
And another one with a member of management standing next to it.
Figure out the rest for your self who gets the job.
It's the way any big business anywhere operates.
SpringHillian

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

It's interesting how on the same day Obama tells the press manufacturing jobs are coming back to the USA, GM announces they are building a new vehicle in South Korea and not in Spring Hill.
hmmmmmmmm...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Judged:

SpringHillian wrote:
It's interesting how on the same day Obama tells the press manufacturing jobs are coming back to the USA, GM announces they are building a new vehicle in South Korea and not in Spring Hill.
hmmmmmmmm...
It seems to me that GM would keep the jobs here in the US as a thank you for the bailout/loan.

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Dang Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems to me that GM would keep the jobs here in the US as a thank you for the bailout/loan.
One would think, or expect it anyway.

Since: Jan 12

Spring Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2012

Any guesses as to when exactly GM will begin hiring new assembly-line workers? If they want the Spring Hill plant up and running for Equinox/Terrain overflow by the "second half of 2012" then I wonder when they need to start bringing people in. I've seen reports that say "early 2012" or "spring 2012", but I don't how long it takes them to train entry-level workers for the assembly line.

My neighbor works at the plant and has offered to put in a referral for me once the announcement is made :-) So I am really hoping that is my "in" and that I am fortunate enough to land a job with this first wave of hiring, whenever it happens.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2012

SpringHillDad wrote:
Any guesses as to when exactly GM will begin hiring new assembly-line workers? If they want the Spring Hill plant up and running for Equinox/Terrain overflow by the "second half of 2012" then I wonder when they need to start bringing people in. I've seen reports that say "early 2012" or "spring 2012", but I don't how long it takes them to train entry-level workers for the assembly line.
My neighbor works at the plant and has offered to put in a referral for me once the announcement is made :-) So I am really hoping that is my "in" and that I am fortunate enough to land a job with this first wave of hiring, whenever it happens.
From my past experience,(for example) if they're looking to start the lines up in say Sept, they would need to start getting a few folks on board in June/July. These people would finish setting up the jobs and begin running rabbits through the conveyor lines to see how everything meshed.

The employment of operators would increase beginning in August and increase as the line speeds were increased. More than likely full employment wouldn't be reached until end of Sept beginning of Oct (again assuming a projected Sept startup).

Once steady state was achieved, some manpower would possibly be moved around/increased/deceased as the production flow settled out.

Hope this helps out.
Agreed

Columbia, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

To all the naysayer, sour grapes, jealous people out there, take a pill.
Don't disparage those who will get a job. Don't dispargae or berate those who are in the industry.
The majority of people working in the industry are hard working individuals, give back to their comminities, and depend on their job to provide for their families.
Don't believe that the few the media picks out as bad workers, represents all.
About the LOAN the gov't had with GM? Paid back 100% so GM owes the taxpayer nothing. If the taxp[aer still owned part of GM, then it would be in your best interest to promote the product.

Let me say that if YOU were working at GM you would understand. YOU would be spending money in your community, helping small businesses, giving to local charities, etc.
Be glad that GM is still in the area, hiring the local people. Be glad that there are jobs coming.. When jobs leave some of you whine about it. Now you have jobs coming, and you whine just the same.

Dang Yankee and Taxed Payer, if you knew what was up, you'd know the 2 vehicles slated for Spring Hill were brought back from planned production in Mexico. They aren't going to bring all production back to the US, but this is a start.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Aug 17 Maggie 96
Putting 08 equinox 3.4 engine into 05 equinox w... Aug 8 DMoore 1
Engine Misfire/Sputter (Jan '11) Aug 8 Ryan 86
Equinox air conditioner (Apr '08) Aug 6 javapatriot 271
Equinox 2006 Battery Issues Aug 6 Sura 1
2006 Chevy Equinox heater blows cool air? (May '08) Aug 4 Rachel 703
2007 Chevrolet Equinox Aug 4 2007 Equinox 3

Search the Chevrolet Equinox Forum:

Buy a New Car

Zipcode: