2007 Chevy Equinox
Dana

AOL

#281 Sep 8, 2010
My ignition key is giving me problems as well. I am about to trade my 2007 Equinox. I'm sure I will be "upside down" on the payment since it has almost 100,000 miles. The EGR valve needs replacing now too. That seems to be a common problem with Equinox too. Stabilitrak Service light came on a couple of weeks ago but I have not seen it again and don't want to. Dealership told me that the EGR valve is not covered under GM warranty nor the extented warranty I purchased, which by the way, was a waste of money. It has not covered anything. Strangely, the leaking into the tire well has stopped. Not sure if it is because we haven't had torrential rains or what. I just hope it will stay away until I get this thing traded off.
Kimbra in Frisco Texas

Dallas, TX

#284 Sep 10, 2010
I purchased my car in 2007and this is my first heavy rain with my car exposed to outdoors. I large amount of water came gushing into my car a couple of days ago. I dont know what to do at this point. The dealership is charging me $700-800 dollars to repair.
Kathy

Fort Atkinson, WI

#285 Sep 17, 2010
Just spent $50.00 to have the hatch of my 2007 resealed to prevent water in the wheel well. Took me a while to figure out where the "smell" of wet socks was coming from. I always thought it was my son's soccer shoes! After a hard rain I could hear water sloshing when I turned a corner, opened up the spare tire compartment and couldn't believe the amount of water in the wheel well. The carpet in the back seat area was also soaked. Looked online to see if this was a problem and couldn't believe what I learned. The dealership would not cover the repair and I have yet to see if the repair will fix the problem. This is a definite problem with this vehicle and the company has yet to own up to it. No more GM products for me. I also can't believe it costs $36 to have an extra key made (and with no fob!!)
sonya

Mobile, AL

#286 Sep 22, 2010
I have a 2007 Equinox and it is doing the same thing with the standing water in the tire well,now my brakes lights, wipers, and turning signals do not work, any suggestions on what that problem is?????
Rio

Fairfax, VA

#287 Oct 2, 2010
Same thing has happened to my car and I think I have found the problem. There is a big gap on the tail light on both sides which allows the water to run free into it, from the roof to the side gap of the rear door. The water does not go into the trunk but it goes into the gap allowing the water to run behind the tail light going into the inside body of the car. I believe that from there it is running into the spare tire well and to the back of the car getting the carpet wet. My car got wet and I had it parked for three days in the rain. The water is definetly not coming from the bottom. My solution to the problem was a tape covering the gap for now. Good luck!
bama

Marbury, AL

#288 Oct 4, 2010
I tried the same taping over the gap, with black duct tape, it worked - I haven't had a problem with it since. I did, however, also insert one of those "damp rid" containers in the tire well, and I've changed it out a couple times - it gathers water, but the wheel well stays dry.

I'm trading my '06 in soon, my first and last Chevy.
Marc Charbonneau Ottawa O

Orleans, Canada

#289 Oct 4, 2010
Our Equinox is going back to the shop for a major leak for the THIRD TIME!! The spare tire area has 4 inches of water AGAIN!! GM stills refuses to admit they have a problem with this.
Susan wrote:
Water leaks under front mats. Both sides. Brand new car, already in the shop twice. Cannot correct the leak.
Anyone else with this kind of problem?
Jo-Ann

Sutton, MA

#290 Oct 7, 2010
Karl - Austin TX wrote:
I just found my leak in the spare tire well. Sounds like a known problem now.
What did they day when you tool it to the dealership?
Jo-Ann

Sutton, MA

#291 Oct 7, 2010
What did "Billy's Detailing" say it was?
Mike wrote:
I want to advise everyone that I bought a 2007 chevy equinox and Ive had it for 9 months and I noticed after 3 months that I was getting water coming into the rear tire well every time it rained. I took it to the dealer 4 times and they could not find the problem. Upset about the matter I took my equinox to Billys Detailing and some how he found the problem because I dont get no more water in the tire well compartment. Why is it that the dealer can not find this problem or is it because since it is in warrenty they dont care... just a concern costomer..
Del0627

Harlingen, TX

#292 Nov 14, 2010
Angie wrote:
Our 2007 Chevy Equinox has been having problems with the ignition key not being released after parking and turning the car off. After turning the ignition on and off a few times and jiggling the shift it will eventually come out. We are just worried it will eventually get stuck and not come out. Anyone familiar with this problem?
I also have an 07 chevy equinox LS, bought it in Sept. 07, same exact thing started happening to me all the time but now a few days ago out of the blue my battery was dead, got it jump started but now the steering wheel is completley stuck, couldn't even drive my truck out of the drive way. I had it towed with their wonderful FREE 5year / 100,000 mile roadside assistance, because the dealer also wanted to charge me to have it towed to their service repair. Come to find out this is a common problem with these vehicles. So now I plan to get rid of it before things get worst. I have two more years to finish paying it off and with this economy I don't think I could afford car trouble, too.
wendy

Federal Way, WA

#293 Nov 14, 2010
Leslie L Nova Scotia CAN wrote:
I have a 2007 Equinox and when I drive it in heavy rain the engine starts to make a terrible noise, and gets worse with acceleration and will stop after a few seconds of coasting, but only in heavy rain or really slushy snow. I took it for a test drive with a mechanic and he heard the noise but has no idea what it is. Has this happened to anyone else??
I have had a problem with this, where driving in heavy rain it feels like the car is flooding out and while trying to excelerate and it feels like it is cutting out and of course no one knows the problem!!!
wendy

Federal Way, WA

#294 Nov 14, 2010
I have an 07 equinox, in the past year I have had a few problems with it!!!! While driving in the heavy rain it will start to feel like the car is flooding and accelerating feels like the car is cutting out. Also the temperature guage is always off (its been where it is all the way at the top or never moves from th bottom), I have had it in to be looked at many times and they never figured out the problem. Right now I am having an issue with the driver side window not working!! Now that Im reading this I apparently need to check to see if I have a flood in the back now. Does anyone have any ideas on any of these??
cj williams braselton ga

Toccoa, GA

#295 Dec 15, 2010
just had to replace a battery that was replace in april of 2009 i have a 2005 equinox that seems to have lots of problems now the spare tire well is full of water i think its comin in around tail light area but not sure. i intend on contacting gm. not the dealer time to start a class action lawsuit
Saran

Bellingham, WA

#296 Dec 15, 2010
wendy wrote:
I have an 07 equinox, in the past year I have had a few problems with it!!!! While driving in the heavy rain it will start to feel like the car is flooding and accelerating feels like the car is cutting out. Also the temperature guage is always off (its been where it is all the way at the top or never moves from th bottom), I have had it in to be looked at many times and they never figured out the problem. Right now I am having an issue with the driver side window not working!! Now that Im reading this I apparently need to check to see if I have a flood in the back now. Does anyone have any ideas on any of these??
I am also from near Seattle and I think the snow and rain recently did something to my 07 equinox as well. Last night was when I first noticed the car...cutting out?, it felt like it was losing power while I was trying to accelerate on I-5, it wouldnt go above 60. It would accelerate but after a few seconds i felt a jolt like it was about to stop. Same thing happened to me today as I was going uphill and my check engine light came on. Going to check for water problems tomorrow morning and take it in to a dealer:| will let you know what I find out.
Tim

Fresno, CA

#297 Dec 23, 2010
For all those having the problem that I've had with the spare tire well filling up with water, i figured out a couple of problems. One thing the grommets for the wiring that goes from the top part of the liftgate to the body aren't sealing properly. I just pulled them back and from the body and put some gasket sealer on there and that solved that part of the problem. The Second is that there are gaps in the seams of the body of the car underneath the weatherstrippingfor the liftgate. The water is actually running underneath the weatherstripping and into those gaps and down into the spare tire well. I fixed this by taking off the rear bumper cover and the weatherstripping, but only the bottom half and resealed the weatherstripping by put some sealer on that seams and also on the inside channel of the weatherstripping. It seems to have worked so far. Hope it was helpful to everyone.
Tim

Fresno, CA

#298 Dec 23, 2010
cj williams braselton ga wrote:
just had to replace a battery that was replace in april of 2009 i have a 2005 equinox that seems to have lots of problems now the spare tire well is full of water i think its comin in around tail light area but not sure. i intend on contacting gm. not the dealer time to start a class action lawsuit
It's actually running in just below the taillights where the screw is at that holds the bumper cover on. It runs down the inside of the weatherstripping and into the gaps that are in the body seams under the weatherstripping. That then fills the spare tire well with water a little at a time. I just posted a way to try and fix it. I have yet for it to rain since i have done it but it doesn't leak with the water hose anymore. if you want to check out if that is where it is leaking turn the water hose on very low and take everything out of the spare tire well and run the water just below the tail lights where that black button covers the screw for the bumper cover and see if it is running inside. Mine was leaking in the corner on each side where that big glob of white sealer is at. you can actually see it running down that white stuff and filling up the tire well. It runs more if you are parked on an incline so it's easier to see if you do it in the driveway or somewhere that the front of the vehicle is higher than the back. Hope it helps.
chevy girl

Dallas, TX

#299 Dec 27, 2010
Well I had my equinox more than 3 years and its working fine.Now of Course all vehicles need a lil maintenance you just got to keep up with checking yalls vehicle from time to time.
Cathy

United States

#300 Dec 31, 2010
Our 2007 Chevy Equinox has been having problems with the ignition key not being released. "I am having the same issue and it can take me up to 10 minutes to get my key to release. I have had the key cylinder changed thinking that was the problem" NOT Do you have any insight?
Dana

AOL

#301 Jan 1, 2011
Cathy wrote:
Our 2007 Chevy Equinox has been having problems with the ignition key not being released. "I am having the same issue and it can take me up to 10 minutes to get my key to release. I have had the key cylinder changed thinking that was the problem" NOT Do you have any insight?

Cathy, I have the same problem. I was told by a locksmith to turn the key back on and quickly turn the steering wheel back and forth a few times. It works.
Jennifer

Olympia, WA

#302 Jan 3, 2011
I have the same issue with my 2007 Equinox I bought three months ago! I live in the Seattle area (lots of rain) My floor boards were soaked constantly I could not figure out the problem until I googled and found tons of forums with this issue. I had 4 inches of ice in my spare tire well and 4 inches of water on top of the ice, black mold everywhere, my car stinks and is soaked through the front seat floor boards. Not only is GM making me pay for the diagnosis but 1000k for the repair also. They claim not to even know about this issue and will not pay since my warantee is out. I am going to clean the car up and trade it in. This car has been nothing but issues since I got it. No more GM cars for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Equinox Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chevy Equinox - PCM Root of Problems (May '08) Aug 23 rob 154
shuts off wwhen driving (Mar '11) Aug 20 JackS 11
2007 Equinox ignition key not releasing like it... (Aug '10) Aug 16 frank2010 123
2005 chevy equinox problems (Feb '10) Aug 12 kennybake 71
Equinox Central.com --- Owners have posted lot... (Oct '06) Aug 6 Cin 556
Equinox air conditioner (Apr '08) Aug 4 Bruisermon 291
Headlight on my equinox (Nov '13) Aug 2 Honeybear 3
More from around the web