Posted in the Chevrolet Cobalt Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Hey!”

Since: Aug 07

Avon Park, Florida

#1 Aug 5, 2007
I need help. My power steering is on the fritz. When I start the car it drives beautiful but 5-10mins I hear a click comming from the E.P.S. located above the gas pedal and "power steering" is displayed on the screen.When I turn the car off and back on the problem goes away.....temporarly.I also figured out when I disconnect the power the the eps motor and reconnected it the problem went away. I cannot find the module, or the motor, well axcually I can't find ANY parts for sale that even has to do with the steering..... please help me.
nash

Pasadena, TX

#2 Aug 6, 2007
yea go to your dealership and they have to fix it there

“Hey!”

Since: Aug 07

Avon Park, Florida

#3 Aug 6, 2007
nash wrote:
yea go to your dealership and they have to fix it there
yea well i finally found it after three days looking, and i went to the dealer and they did a dionostic and advised me they couldnt figure out the problem bu if i could leave the car there and they would work on it till they figured it out....... i asked them how much the total was already and it was $175.00 so i paid the bill and took my car. if just the dionostic was that much i am not willing to see how much it would have came to........ but if anyone has any input i would appreciate it. thanks
Roy Culp

Southbury, CT

#4 Nov 12, 2007
i fixed it myself, if anyone has questins on how i will explain what i did, it only took me a half hour to replace thewhole electronic power steering assist..... twismtool@hotmail.com
gogetumduke

Nashville, TN

#5 Aug 2, 2008
Roy, I just emailed you for the help in fixing this. Is yours still working ok? Thanks for any way that you could help me. My dealer is saying around $800.00 to fix as my warranty expired around a month ago. I have a Cobalt 06.
Bill

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2008
The dealers do want about $800.00 to replace the unit! You can save yourself about $300.00 buying the part yourself and changing it. It is very easy to do! If you happen to know someone who works for GM you can save even more having them buy it directly thru the GM parts department.
Frank The Tank

Tucson, AZ

#7 Nov 15, 2008
Well for those of you asking Cobalts only have Electrical Power steering, So the problem could be anything, Mine had the same problem and it turned out to be the "STEERING PUMP" my brother doesnt know much about cars and he fixed it in 3 minutes, Oh and the Pump should only cost about $30. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Juliet

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Apr 6, 2009
The power steering came on also for me and the steering locked up. I read a post about the steering pump costing $30 - was that new or used? Any suggestions where I can purchase one and is it difficult to instal? My brother-in-law is willing to assist to save the cost of the dealer.
Thanks
Tony L

Milwaukee, WI

#9 Jun 9, 2009
gogetumduke wrote:
Roy, I just emailed you for the help in fixing this. Is yours still working ok? Thanks for any way that you could help me. My dealer is saying around $800.00 to fix as my warranty expired around a month ago. I have a Cobalt 06.
Did you ever get the problem with your Cobalt 06 taken care of? I'm having the same trouble. If you could email me at tony@resultsfocusedpt.com I would very much appreciate it. I have the car at the dealer now, but no warranty. They haven't gotten back to me yet.
Thanks in advance.
dmecanic 53

United States

#10 Jun 28, 2009
GM ELECTRONIC STEERING SYSTEMS VARY DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR AND MODEL OF VEHICLE YOU HAVE. SOME INCORPORATE A ELECTRIC MOTOR ALONG WITH WITH A HYDRALIC PUMP, AND OTHER ARE STRICTLY ELECTRONIC. THE STRAIGHT ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS USUALLY HAVE THE CONTROL MODULE, ELECTRIC MOTOR AND SENSORS INTERGRATED AS A UNIT UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL AND TOWARDS THE FIREWALL. GM HAS HAD COMPLAINTS OF STEERING LOCKUP WITH BOTH SYSTEMS. THE PROBLEM WITH ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS IS THAT THEY RELY ON INPUTS FOR VARIOUS SUBSYSTEMS IN ORDER TO MAKE STEERING CORRECTIONS. ANY PROBLEMS WITH A SUBSYSTEM THEN CAN ALSO BECOME A STEERING PROBLEM. THEN THERE IS THE SOFTWARE USED TO DRIVE THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS FOR STEERING SYSTEM. ANY PROGRAMMING GLITCHES OR CURCUIT FAILURES HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR STEERING PROBLEMS. OF COURSE THERE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FAIL SAFE FEATURES IN PLACE IN CASE OF SUCH FAILURES. MY POINT IS THAT THESE SYSTEMS ARE TO COMPLICATED FOR THE AVERAGE DRIVER OR HOME MECHANIC. TEST EQUIPMENT IS EXPENSIVE TO ISOLATE THE SOURCE OF FAILURE. THE BEST SOULUTION MAY BE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION ( www.nhtsa.gov )AND LET OPEN A CASE AGAINST GM AND OTHERS TO REPAIR THESE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS UNDER A FEDERAL RECALL CAMPAIGN WHICH THEN WILL PLACE THE COST OF THE DEFECTIVE SYSTEMS ON THE SUPPLIERS AND NOT THE CONSUMERS.
Bob

Dana Point, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2009
Roy Culp wrote:
i fixed it myself, if anyone has questins on how i will explain what i did, it only took me a half hour to replace thewhole electronic power steering assist..... twismtool@hotmail.com
That would be great if you could give me some advise on how to fix this problem, my power steering does not work at all Thanks Bob
alex

Colón, Panama

#12 Jan 11, 2010
the cobalt is a mess
paula fort lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#13 Feb 2, 2010
I filed a complaint with NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Agm and they responded and informed me that they were opening an investigation of EPS failure, over 1,000 people already file complaints the number is 888-327-4368, if anyone would like to see a copy of the investigation report my email is pct0314@yahoo.com I have a 05 Chevy Cobalt I only have 56,000 miles and my powersteering is gone please fail a compaint so we can get gm to recall
Lorri

Ligonier, PA

#14 Feb 2, 2010
Hey just heard this on my local news i have been waiting for them to take care of this so maybe we are getting somewhere I copied this a min ago from the net here is what it says..........y Angela Greiling Keane and Katie Merx

Feb. 1 (Bloomberg)-- General Motor Co.’s Chevrolet Cobalt small car is under U.S. investigation because of reports of a “sudden loss” of power steering, a regulatory agency said.

The inquiry was spurred by 1,132 complaints from consumers, including 754 in the past six months, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its Web site. The reports included 11 crashes with one injury, the agency said.

The investigation covers 2005 to 2009 Cobalts and the 2008 and 2009 Cobalt SS models, according to NHTSA. As many as 950,000 vehicles may be involved, the agency estimated.

“We’re cooperating with NHTSA in that investigation,” said Alan Adler, a GM spokesman. He said it was too soon to comment further because the probe is in its early stages.

GM reported U.S. sales of 104,724 Cobalts last year, a decline of 44 percent from 2008. The Detroit-based automaker said last week that it plans to build fewer of the cars through April as it adjusts output to demand.

Karen Aldana, a NHTSA spokeswoman, declined to comment, citing agency policy on open investigations.

To contact the reporters on this story: Angela Greiling Keane in Washington at agreilingkea@bloomberg.net; Katie Merx in Southfield, Michigan, at kmerx@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: February 1, 2010 15:58 EST
LORRI

Ligonier, PA

#15 Feb 2, 2010
i KNOW THERE IS MORE COMPLAINTS THEN WHAT THEY SAY THERE ARE jUST FROM GETTING ON THE NET AND SEEING ALL THE COMPLAINTS SO MAYBE EVERYONE THAT IS ON THESES SITES SHOULD CALL THE NHTSA(National Highway Traffic Safety Agm THE NO. is 888-327-4368, AND OPEN A CASE AGAINST GM AND OTHERS TO REPAIR THESE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS UNDER A FEDERAL RECALL CAMPAIGN WHICH THEN WILL PLACE THE COST OF THE DEFECTIVE SYSTEMS ON THE SUPPLIERS AND NOT THE CONSUMERS.
angel wilkerson

Clovis, NM

#16 Feb 4, 2010
People you should not have to pay for this, this is GM's fault this is happening. I am having the same problem since august 2009. I have only paid my $100 deductible and thats it, i refuse to pay a penny. The dealership says the have fixed the problem but it continues to happen. My car is in the shop right now, it being the 2nd time in 3 days!! They said GM is aware but they dont know how to fix it. A recall needs to be issued or something. If anyone would like to email me please feel free: angdwil2206@yahoo.com. I have contacted NHTSA & GM. I am not letting this problem go until there is a solution.
kristina johnson

Bakersfield, CA

#17 Feb 16, 2010
i had a similar problem with the steering in my 2008 cobalt and googled the problem to find many others with the same issue. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I just had to fill out a form on the web page. If you are having similar problems with your car file a complaint with the NHTSA as well. Car companies should not be able to get away with releasing unsafe products, and on top of that charging the customer to get it fixed.
Liz Green

Alexandria, VA

#18 Feb 17, 2010
I have the same power steering problem with my 2006 Cobalt, only 22,000 miles and warranty expired. The dealer cannot find anything wrong, so the car is parked. I'm afraid to drive. I pray for a GM recall. GM needs to fix this.
Alexandria, VA
soapbox715

Fayetteville, GA

#19 Feb 20, 2010
my daughter was driving home from college the 18th and as she turned off the hwy the power steering light came on and she lost the ability to steer, she is a small girl and could not turn the wheel. She when into a parking lot on the other side of the road and stopped, after calming down she called home and told me what happened (it a 3hr drive on 75 to get home) I had to go meet her and drive the car the rest of the way home. Its was like driving a large truck with a flat on the front, no control both hands and muscle just to go around a curve in the road. Call gm dealer and they said they had not heard of this happening, when I asked for his name he asked me why and I said because when my daughter gets hurt because of this I wanted him and the dealership to be included in the law suit he quickly hung up on me. Filed a complaint with nhtsa and hoe something becomes of it. by the way the parts that are failing are mfg by denso and gm already has a suit against them.
Kasten

Fairfield, CA

#20 Feb 20, 2010
did you just replace the ecu?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cobalt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
07 Cobalt speaker not working (Jul '09) Apr 23 presto 180
Cobalt SS\TC are not fast (May '09) Apr 23 AndrewTheInsane 78
High Coolant Temperature (Dec '07) Apr 18 Jenn 131
Radio problem cobalt 06 Lt (Jul '09) Apr 11 Sabrina 67
News GM says it has fixed 70 pct. of faulty ignition... Apr 11 John Jeffery 1
car 2009 Chevy cobalt Apr 9 Tudy 1
Cobalt not starting?? (Jun '07) Apr 8 Wonderwho 204
More from around the web