Cobalt not starting??
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#1 Jun 19, 2007
Anyone else having an issue with your cobalt not starting??
Tara

AOL

#2 Jun 19, 2007
no trouble starting my car- but today I was driving down the street and it stalled while moving so I through it into neutral and started it back up. That hasnt happened to me before so Im hoping I did something to cause it and not some random thing. My car stereo has locked up a couple times since I go the car 2 months ago. I had to shut off the car and restart it and it was fine!
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#3 Jun 21, 2007
Mine is such a pain.. Sometimes I can't even get it started at all! But to get it started, when ever it desideds not to, you have to give it a little gas and move the gear shifter really fast through all of the gears all at the same time while trying to crank it! Then, whenever it feels like it, it will start.. Not sure what is wrong with it... dealership could not duplicate it.
Joseph Atlanta GA

United States

#4 Jun 23, 2007
Brand new 07 Cobalt, not even 3.5K miles. For the 2nd time it will not start up for no apparent reason. First time it wouldn't start for 30 minutes then magically it started up.
Had it towed to dealer but they couldn't get to it that late in the day. Drove it for 4 days, no problem until today. Wife has it, won't start. We're hoping 30 minutes is the key. Its going to the dealer's shop today.
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#5 Jun 26, 2007
Joseph Atlanta GA wrote:
Brand new 07 Cobalt, not even 3.5K miles. For the 2nd time it will not start up for no apparent reason. First time it wouldn't start for 30 minutes then magically it started up.
Had it towed to dealer but they couldn't get to it that late in the day. Drove it for 4 days, no problem until today. Wife has it, won't start. We're hoping 30 minutes is the key. Its going to the dealer's shop today.
I have found that if you put your foot on the break and the other one on the gas, if you give it a little gas, then move the gear shifter through all of the gears really fast and slam it into park, then it will start. it takes a few trys but you can eventually get it started...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bunny

United States

#6 Jul 5, 2007
I went out to my garage only to find that my 2006 Cobalt would not start. It only has 14, 000 miles on it and there is no reason why it should not be starting. I will be calling the dealer in two hours and 10 minutes because this is totally ridiculous. Daniellee I am glad you found a way to get yours started but all I get is a sound like someone is shooting at me. My car payment just came out of my bank account I am not willing to have to finagle through the gears and all to get a car that is one year old to start.
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#7 Jul 12, 2007
Well, today, mine would not start at all! I suggest if you are having issues with a cobalt to get in touch with GM immediatly!! Mine has been in the shop way to many times, and I still cannot get relife from this problem!
Bunny wrote:
I went out to my garage only to find that my 2006 Cobalt would not start. It only has 14, 000 miles on it and there is no reason why it should not be starting. I will be calling the dealer in two hours and 10 minutes because this is totally ridiculous. Daniellee I am glad you found a way to get yours started but all I get is a sound like someone is shooting at me. My car payment just came out of my bank account I am not willing to have to finagle through the gears and all to get a car that is one year old to start.
Lynn

San Angelo, TX

#8 Jul 13, 2007
Just got a used 2006 Cobalt, 1 week after, it was at the Chevrolet dealer. The battery turns over but the car will not actually stay on, like it's not getting gas. Sometimes it starts & actually stays on, sometimes it doesn't. They replaced the ignition switch & had no problems for 6 whole days. Now, it's doing it AGAIN!! Does this sound like the same problem? Has anyone heard or figured out what could be the cause or fix to this? Any & all help/advice would be appreciated.
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#9 Jul 26, 2007
GET RID OF IT!!!! Call GM immediately and start getting into the lemon process. These cars are BAD. they need to recall all of them! I will never buy a chevy again! I am looking in to a PT cruiser. they are cool. But get rid of it!!!!!! The dealership will keep trying and trying to duplicate the problem and they won't be able to! It is electrical or something bit no one could figure mine out!! I am telling you take it back and get rid of it!! you will only have more problems!!!
Lynn wrote:
Just got a used 2006 Cobalt, 1 week after, it was at the Chevrolet dealer. The battery turns over but the car will not actually stay on, like it's not getting gas. Sometimes it starts & actually stays on, sometimes it doesn't. They replaced the ignition switch & had no problems for 6 whole days. Now, it's doing it AGAIN!! Does this sound like the same problem? Has anyone heard or figured out what could be the cause or fix to this? Any & all help/advice would be appreciated.
Nathan

Lynden, WA

#10 Jul 28, 2007
The only time my car hasn't started was when the battery has been pretty close to dying. I have a 2005 and that has only happened to me twice. What you need to do is turn off everything electronic (radio, what not) and unplug anything that might be plugged in (phone charger, iPod, anything) give it 10 minutes then try. If you here a click when you turn the key but its not starting, that's your problem. Also could be the BCM. I had that go on me twice now. After 2 and a half years of getting it fixed, it works like a dream lol. Any problems, you can contact me at [email protected] I have had a lot go wrong with my car so I know most of it by now. Hope it helps.
Danielle

Leesburg, FL

#11 Jul 30, 2007
It isn't the battery. There are electrical problems with some of these cars. Also, you may want to get them to change the fuse box. I have heard that it may be the problem. If it is, they need to recall it.
Nathan wrote:
The only time my car hasn't started was when the battery has been pretty close to dying. I have a 2005 and that has only happened to me twice. What you need to do is turn off everything electronic (radio, what not) and unplug anything that might be plugged in (phone charger, iPod, anything) give it 10 minutes then try. If you here a click when you turn the key but its not starting, that's your problem. Also could be the BCM. I had that go on me twice now. After 2 and a half years of getting it fixed, it works like a dream lol. Any problems, you can contact me at [email protected] I have had a lot go wrong with my car so I know most of it by now. Hope it helps.
Jenn

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#12 Aug 10, 2007
I just got my cobalt about 3 weeks ago & it has been in the shop twice & tomorrow will be the third time
Mee

Atlanta, GA

#13 Aug 23, 2007
I've had my 2007 for a year now with 24,000 miles and haven't had a single driveability problem.
Andrew and Melissa H

Croydon, PA

#14 Sep 5, 2007
My wife had leased this car about a 1-1/2 year ago. Personally I hated this car to begin with but it was all cosmetic. Now this terrible problem started about 2 mos. ago and it only happened once. Now it has happened again 2 days in a row. I actually left work to come help her yesterday and I had no luck with it. The car wouldn't start. Not even an attempt, clicking of the starter .. nothing! I also noticed she wasn't getting power (radio, lights, or gauges/dummy lights). The most frustrating part of the issue is that it wouldn't let the keys out of the ignition!! I tried to lock the car but the key fob wouldn't work. So I called road side ass. and they told me I needed a jump and that this happened because the battery was dead. I had to get back to work so I left it in the parking lot. Well when my wife got home she was walking to the car to attepmt it again she noticed the radio on and she then was able to start the car with the keys stuck in the ignition!?!(mind you this all happened with out getting a jump).
Today it happened again!!! so we took it to the dealership. The service desk was no help they weren't going to get the car looked at till Mon. and it is now Wed! So we followed a tech out to the parking lot to move my car and we asked him if he had seen this issue before. He told us that in the past 5 monthes he's seen this same problem 5 times!!! He said it is has to do with the shifter. Apparently, it doesn't recognize the shifters in park. The tech was actually nice enough to go back to the service desk and tell them what the problem was. Now he said if they don't know what it is tomarrow they will give us a loaner. So we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.
Andrew and Melissa H

Croydon, PA

#15 Sep 6, 2007
It's us again and we won't write nearly as long this time.
It turns out all these problems were related to the shifter not recognizing that it was in park.

GO TAKE YOUR CARS TO THE DEALER IT IS UNDER WARRNTY. TELL THEM IT IS THE SHIFTER.
Dan Miles

Castle Point, NY

#16 Sep 8, 2007
Well lets see i installed a new CD deck into my car...worked fine...then decided to hook up amp and cap with subs...worked fine...but once i turned off car then came back...car didnt want to start...unplugged everything including the radio...now the car wont start at all. Tried to jump the car...didnt work...clicking noise started to come from Fuse box's...blown fuse? or what!?
Lynn

Bonham, TX

#17 Dec 5, 2007
After posting my stalling problem in July 07, our '06 cobalt was put in the shop again. This time they said the fuse block was not grounding and it was replaced. We have had no more stalling problems since! But today my daughter isn't able to take the key out of the ignition!?!
kris

Niagara Falls, NY

#18 May 20, 2008
Tara wrote:
no trouble starting my car- but today I was driving down the street and it stalled while moving so I through it into neutral and started it back up. That hasnt happened to me before so Im hoping I did something to cause it and not some random thing. My car stereo has locked up a couple times since I go the car 2 months ago. I had to shut off the car and restart it and it was fine!
I have a 2005 cobalt that has started stalling and acting like it isn't getting enough gas. Wells just had it checked and it is NOT a fuel related prob but most likely electrical as my locks go haywire when it rains (going up and down on their own repeatedly as I drive)
kris

Niagara Falls, NY

#19 May 20, 2008
I have a 2005 cobalt that has started stalling and acting like it isn't getting enough gas. Wells just had it checked and it is NOT a fuel related prob but most likely electrical as my locks go haywire when it rains (going up and down on their own repeatedly as I drive)
Stasia

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 May 21, 2008
I have an 05 SS/SC Cobalt and it did that stalling thing one night after I got on the highway. All the gauges went down and my tachometer wasn't working. The engine was still on but it could not keep its idle. It kept going up and down and I thought it was going to die but it never did. So I turn it off and back on and it was still doing it and the check engine light was on so I call the tow truck to have them tow it to my mom's house. Well, ten minutes before the tow truck gets there my fiance shows up and wants to see what it is doing. I start it up again and it runs just fine. I'm like what the hell! I have it towed anyway cuz I didn't want to take the chance of it doing that again. The next day I have my mom follow me to Advanced Auto and have them do a check engine light on it and it says Crank Shaft Position Sensor. So I get it replaced for $20 and I have my brother do it. Well turns out when you replace that sensor you have to have the computer recalibrated for it or it doesn't even know that you changed it, so I found that out the hard way.;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cobalt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knocking sound near the trunk??? (Apr '09) Mon Jake 43
front speakers never worked Sun Gaudet98 2
07 chevy cobalt obd2 does not work (Apr '09) Apr 22 IJM81 14
Cobalt brake problems?? (Jan '07) Apr 18 Searingvision 175
Reduced Engine Power message (Jul '08) Apr 14 Rosie Westbrook 135
2006 Chevy Cobalt tire wobble Apr 11 ChevyJake 1
2006 Chevy cobalt lt coupe radio question Mar 29 Pascorib 1
More from around the web