Cobalt brake problems??
rhebs

San Clemente, CA

#103 May 16, 2010
i have an 07 cobalt, and the parking brake catch fell off. so when i pull the parking brake up it doesn't stay up, i took the center console apart and cant figure out how to get it back in
gerardo

United States

#104 May 27, 2010
I have the same problem with my 06 cobalt. When I press mid brake it sounds like a metal to metal is tochin .. I still can't find out what's wrong with it.its so annoyin I want to get rid of the car lol!
Jessica

Milwaukee, WI

#105 Jun 22, 2010
I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and am having similar issues with braking. As soon as I put my foot on the brake it shakes violently and makes a horrible screeching noise. My car has just over 60,000 miles on it. I have already had to replace the shocks and struts, the arm bushings, and something with the air/heat. My husband plans to change the rotors and pads with non-Chevy parts. I will NEVER buy a Chevy again. My husband has a Mazda with over 80,000 miles and hasn't had to replace a thing on it yet. Anyone who is considering a Chevy should think again.
Anthony

Kingston, Canada

#106 Jun 28, 2010
Hey there, I have the exactly same problems with my 05 cobalt, scraping and what not when I apply the brakes, I have had it to the dealership and the brakes are fine...
mark

Salem, OR

#107 Jul 5, 2010
looks like i will be joining the forces of " my front end vibrates when braking on my '07 cobalt " will be taking it to the dealership.
Kikal8

Trumbull, CT

#108 Aug 16, 2010
Dean wrote:
Has anyone had issues with pulsing brakes (feels similiar to a rotor out of round)? Car has approximately 1100 miles on it. Dealer could find nothing but when they called GM about it they were told to replace the front rotors even though they showed less than .001 variance. I assume this is a known issue due to their response but there are no SB's or recalls.

rotors usually warp when slammed hard and heated up. its strange that a car with 1100 miles would have warped rotors already but the easiest way to tell if your rotors are warped is go on the highway and hit the brake hard enough to where you can feel the brakes. if the car shakes the rotors are warped usually caused by to much heat and pressure from stopping really hard. if you can feel what you can describe as scraping then you need new pads and if the car has been doing this for a long time the pads may have worn down the rotors to. you have to be careful not to leave bad pads on because they can ruin the rotor as well which can double the cost of the fix. i dont know if this helps at all but yeah haha. But as far as a recall on the rotors i havent heard anything. but it is possible. i have a 2006 chevy cobalt ss supercharged and i got it with 44,000 miles on it and now it has 45,500 and the brakes feel like metal to metal as you can say and the rotors definitely look worn down a bit. i shoud have fixed this immediately but im low on cash.
jb rugrat

Dunnellon, FL

#109 Aug 19, 2010
i have an 07 my wife drives it a 100 miles a day now we have to replace the front bearings and brakes on the front of the car it has gotten soooooo loud that you cant hear the radio not so good or safe
PJH

Ronkonkoma, NY

#110 Sep 3, 2010
jess wrote:
I have a 2005 cobalt that also violently shakes braking at high speeds. Guess I am going to pull off the brakes to check out the rotors. I have 44000 miles on it and have had nothing but problems with this car.
I have the same problem with my 06 cobalt, what i have seen is two things, alot of sand and pebbles end up getting between the brake pad and rotor, causing a groove in the rotor and therefore shaking while braking,also i found that the rotors warp quite easily making the car pull one way or the other while braking, I am going online to see if i can find a brake dust cover for the rim, although this is usually to keep the rim clean i believe that it should help keep the sand and pebbles from getting up there. Hope this help some !
elizabeth

Mansfield Center, CT

#112 Sep 23, 2010
Jessica wrote:
I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt and am having similar issues with braking. As soon as I put my foot on the brake it shakes violently and makes a horrible screeching noise. My car has just over 60,000 miles on it. I have already had to replace the shocks and struts, the arm bushings, and something with the air/heat. My husband plans to change the rotors and pads with non-Chevy parts. I will NEVER buy a Chevy again. My husband has a Mazda with over 80,000 miles and hasn't had to replace a thing on it yet. Anyone who is considering a Chevy should think again.
Hello, Owner of a Cevy 2007 cobalt. I have been having breaking issues since I purchased the vehicle. I have had the car to the dealership over 6 times. Only 35,000 miles on it. They tell me there is metal in the brake pads. It is so embarassing to stop. It sounds like I have been in a terrible accident. People stare at my car. A simple stop at a drive thru coffee shop and they all know who I am. I am to the point where I roll the window down and tell them where I purchased it. The dealership has told me there is nothing they can do to fix it. My husband also says we need non - GM parts. After paying over 14,000 for the car I am fed up. I just hope that the brakes aren't causing other damage. Please Help
chris

Lawrence, MA

#113 Sep 29, 2010
Does anyone know who could we get in touch with our breaks problems please help [email protected]
ryves

Augusta, KS

#114 Oct 1, 2010
Wow finding out more and more that I do not like about my daughters 2006 Cobalt. Her's makes a crunching type noise from drivers side and pulsates as well at most speeds. Again, like most of you the dealer can find nothing wrong. I looked them over real good and could not find anything as well but it sure does bug me.
luv1

Fort Wayne, IN

#115 Oct 15, 2010
wow!!!! everything is going so wrong with my 2006 chevy cobalt!!!! Its doin just like alot of the others......When i come to a stop at a good speed, my car Vigourously shakes.... Its so so annoying!!!! Ive only had mine 6 months.... Do i need (Rotors )already???
Donna

Memphis, TN

#116 Nov 11, 2010
Has anyone had a problem with the brake paddle sticking? My stickes after I stop. I have to put my foot underneath the paddle and lift up before I can move forward.
Jasper

United States

#117 Dec 16, 2010
My girlfriends 2006 Cobalt has been nothing but trouble! First it was the steering rack that Chevy said there was no problem with, that she had to pay out of her own pocket to fix, then finally was a recall for. Now its pulsating brakes. I use to be a auto mechanic and at first I turned the rotors, but it still did it. So I bought new pads and rotors and it still does it. I found that it seems like the root cause is a dragging front brake. It's like the car is braking before you even touch the pedal! This can be very dangerous for anyone driving one of these cars! If anyone is experiencing this same problem, you really need to contact Chevy and create a case so Chevy will own up to the problem and get a recall going. With enough voices they'll do something!
AUSTIN- gulfport ms

Boise, ID

#118 Jan 18, 2011
My brakes do like everyone elses except i have noticed the vibrations and shaking wheel happen only after i have gone about a mile from a cold start. so maybe the brakes are sticking cause the pads to heat up and shake.. i wish i knew a fix for this problem. other than brakes i love my 2006 cobalt lt coupe. has 140k miles and still runnin strong
Kathee

West Mifflin, PA

#119 Feb 26, 2011
Just bought a 2008 used with about 46,000 miles on it. I've driven it less than 400 miles since buying it. It sounded fine when I did a test drive, but, now, the brakes are squealing, loudly. I called the dealership; they said the brakes were replaced when they sold it, and some squealing is normal with new brakes, but they'd get me in to look at it. They didn't call back. Today, I noticed that sometimes when I brake, especially if in reverse or going down a hill, there is a "rubbing" type noise. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, exactly. More like rubbing. Is that my rotors?
Taylor

Harker Heights, TX

#120 Mar 18, 2011
Cobalt's suck. I've had brake problems with my '06 for almost a year. I've replaced all the rotors twice, new brake pads twice, everything been rotated and aligned, I've gotten new rims and tires, and nothing's been able to fix the awful noise when I brake. I've had nothing but problems and I cannot wait until I get a new car. I loved my Cobalt, but I'm spending more money trying to fix it all up, then how much it's actually worth.

I realize this is an old post, but I'm sure people still read it.(:
Taylor

Harker Heights, TX

#121 Mar 18, 2011
Kathee wrote:
Just bought a 2008 used with about 46,000 miles on it. I've driven it less than 400 miles since buying it. It sounded fine when I did a test drive, but, now, the brakes are squealing, loudly. I called the dealership; they said the brakes were replaced when they sold it, and some squealing is normal with new brakes, but they'd get me in to look at it. They didn't call back. Today, I noticed that sometimes when I brake, especially if in reverse or going down a hill, there is a "rubbing" type noise. It doesn't sound like metal on metal, exactly. More like rubbing. Is that my rotors?
I'm having the same exact problem with mine! I've taken it to three different dealerships to have it fixed, and they "don't see a problem". I've had to have my brakes replaced twice, rotors replaced twice, my tires aligned and balanced, front and rear end alignment, and new wheels and tires. None of which has helped. So, if anyone tells you to get that done, don't believe them. I was conned out of so much money! If you do find a fix, please let me know though! I'm tired of listening to it. Ha.
katheek77

West Mifflin, PA

#122 Mar 18, 2011
Taylor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm having the same exact problem with mine! I've taken it to three different dealerships to have it fixed, and they "don't see a problem". I've had to have my brakes replaced twice, rotors replaced twice, my tires aligned and balanced, front and rear end alignment, and new wheels and tires. None of which has helped. So, if anyone tells you to get that done, don't believe them. I was conned out of so much money! If you do find a fix, please let me know though! I'm tired of listening to it. Ha.
I went on a Chevy Cobalt forum somewhere else, and they said it might be brake dust and that I should put some lube on the *back* of the brakes...
2007 cobalt

Enid, OK

#123 Apr 14, 2011
brakes are bad and on;y bring problems

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cobalt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knocking sound near the trunk??? (Apr '09) 18 hr daking wavey 40
Cobalt not starting?? (Jun '07) Sun pat 236
07 Cobalt speaker not working (Jul '09) May 21 sunlife 194
High Coolant Temperature (Dec '07) May 19 Anonymous 134
Cobalt shakes Violently on the Interstate (Oct '06) May 18 Bobbers 28
Reduced Engine Power message (Jul '08) May 17 Frogdog29 117
Cobalt Power Steering Failure (Sep '07) May 15 Drew in newfoundland 1,078
More from around the web