brake lights stay on when the car is ...
sean

United States

#61 Jul 16, 2011
What would cause your brake lights to stay on when it is just sitting in the drive way
Rob

New Baltimore, MI

#62 Jul 16, 2011
I have a 02' Grand am GT, i just changed all 4 break pads and rotors, my tail lights wont go off even after i shut off the car, please only if this has happen to you txt me 3135704023, if you know please i beg someone to tell me
Eric

Seminole, FL

#63 Jul 23, 2011
I have a Nissan Altima and,(like many of the comments above) when I turn the car off the brake lights don't go off. I disconnected the pedal brake switch by detatching the wires from the switch so the switch can't be the problem. Also when the key is removed and the lights all turned off there is still a warning chime?
Jerry

Garden City, MI

#64 Jul 25, 2011
I have a 99 Integra and my brake lights won't turn off and my rear tail lights don't work. All blinkers work license plate light works and all front lights work. Any ideas??
rose

Grand Rapids, MI

#65 Aug 4, 2011
I have a ford explorer 2002 and the brake lights will not go out. I have replaced the brake light sensor 7 times in 3 years. What is going on. Igot another one and 2 months later the brake lights are on again.
mary

Phoenix, AZ

#66 Aug 6, 2011
James wrote:
I have a 1995 Geo Prizm. The brake lights stay on...I have looked for a brake switch but could not find one...am I looking in the wrong spot? Thanks
I HAVE THE SAME CAR, AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. the little rubber piece that is apart of the switch, i guess a rubber piece that is between the button and the pedal i think, broke off. i have the piece and i put tape over it and put it back together but i still need a mechanic to put it back on there. If it is a simple problem i might try to figure it out myself
shadetreemech

College Station, TX

#67 Sep 2, 2011
could also, more likely be a plastic/rubber washer that the brake switch pushes up against. $2 and easy to replace. Look on your floor for a small plastic piece or look by the switch...if it is missing you need to put one in there.
Victor

Miami, FL

#68 Sep 9, 2011
I have a 1993 nissan altima and the brake stay on while the car is off. I checked the switch under the dash panel, i removed it and stil the brake lights remain on.
KAPADIA

Houston, TX

#69 Sep 22, 2011
iHI have 1993 maxima stop light and single light stay on when you stop enginee off,when taking out fuse light get off.
Sir, will you please inform why this thing happen
Larry Smith

San Bernardino, CA

#70 Sep 23, 2011
Gene wrote:
I have an 86 1/2 Nissan Hardbody with 299,000 miles on it all original. It still runs fine. My brake lights stayed on after the car was off. I read this forum.
I looked at the brake pedal. There was a small piece of plastic that plugged a hole in the brake lever. When the foot was off the brake the plastic piece depressed the switch on the brake light turning it off. I bought a new one from the dealer for $4.00. Took all of five minutes to fix.
Do u know the name of the part? If not thanks alot ur info was very helpful.
Mike

Clemmons, NC

#71 Oct 25, 2011
I have 92 oldsmobile cutless and my break lights wouldnt go off changed the break light switch and the lights still wont go off., any ideas whatss wrong?
dre2k

New Albany, IN

#72 Dec 6, 2011
Hi, I have a 1995 camaro and my back break ligths stays on even when i have truned the car off. I have tryin puttin a bar under the pad so that the would come off but they still stayed on what should i do?
Male

Decatur, GA

#73 Dec 21, 2011
I have a 2003 Dodge 1500 Truck. My break lights are staying on and I do not know why? Any Suggestions?
Boge

Pawnee, IL

#74 Dec 30, 2011
I have a 2000 blazer and when the car is running the brake lights stay lit, but when u shut the car off, they go off. any suggestions on what to check? i dont need this getting me pulled over for "riding my brakes"
Jay

Waltham, MA

#75 Jan 5, 2012
I have a 2006 Chevy Aveo and my problem is that the break lights (stop lights) are left on which means that both the front and the back are on not just the break lights. Any Idea what this may be?
Joanie

Janesville, WI

#76 Jan 12, 2012
1998 Ford ZX2 do I have a switch in my car? If so I guess that is what it is. I had to pull the fuse to get the brake light out.
Racquel

United States

#78 Jan 20, 2012
I have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder that is having some problems.... Why is it when i turn my truck off, the brake lights stay on? I've tried pulling the pedal up and I've searched for the switch that if supposed to be at the top of the pedal and I can't find it. Where exactly would it be?
Wdod

Winchester, VA

#79 Jan 21, 2012
My 2003 Envoy is turning its rear brake lights on several hours after the car is turned off... anyone have any ideas why??
jamie

New Hamburg, Canada

#80 Mar 3, 2012
hi my 1991 ford f 150 4x4 the brake light stay on wen the truck is off i hade to take the battey off help
ann

United States

#81 Mar 13, 2012
I have a 2001 pontiac grand am and taillights stay on until disconnect battery cable any idea what the problem is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GPS speedometer module Oct 16 munchkinphil 1
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Oct 13 Schondra 256
chevrolet 2002 service light (Jul '06) Oct 13 Brittanycollins 17
2002 Cavalier blower motor problem. (Nov '07) Oct 11 Jandb77 28
'95 Cavalier Stalls and Dies... Fuel Pump? (Mar '07) Oct 10 Collin 103
No brake lights or turn signals on 00 Cavalier (Oct '06) Oct 8 yolanda miranda 141
2002 Cavalier Service, Trac off and ABS lights (Dec '07) Oct 7 Leeroy 84
More from around the web