99 cavalier engine will turn over but...
Jen

Bronx, NY

#141 Jul 25, 2010
Recently had a problem with my cavalier, replaced fuel pump and filter brand new but it didn't fix it. Found out it was a $10 part the crank sensor, so def check that before buying a fuel pump!
Nathan

Winston Salem, NC

#142 Aug 16, 2010
Most newer cavaliers have a security switch and if goes bad will kill the fuel injectors and will start and run for like 5 sec.
frank

United States

#143 Oct 7, 2010
2000 cavaler was running. was on hiway when car die out. it has gas,fuel pump is working,new fuel filter,has spark on all plugs,but no fuel to injectors,but havefuel pressure all the way their.and car turnover but no start what could it be pcm
The Cavalier Guy

United States

#144 Oct 7, 2010
I've have numerous Cavalier vehcles with the same issues. If there is no fuel to the injectors and the fuel pump works, then more than likely it's your PCM.
frank

United States

#145 Oct 8, 2010
The Cavalier Guy wrote:
I've have numerous Cavalier vehcles with the same issues. If there is no fuel to the injectors and the fuel pump works, then more than likely it's your PCM.
if i were to get one off same car,motor,and year would it work or sould i get new one
The Cavalier Guy

United States

#146 Oct 8, 2010
You'll be better off getting a used one from someone who can recalibrate it using the service and/or the hardware numbers on your existing PCM. That way your VIN will match the PCM and you don't have to go through the lengthy process of resetting the theft system. I buy my PCM's from various sellers on eBay who can recalibrate GM PCM's. When it arrives all I have to do is reconnect the wires and the engine is going again.
art

Philadelphia, PA

#147 Oct 13, 2010
1999 chevrolet no fire from engine i changed the coil pack still no fire from engine.
brian

Lake Zurich, IL

#148 Oct 20, 2010
i have a 97 cav with 2.2 i changed engines and now i hav no spark. the engine ran b4 putting it in and i didnt change anything on it. i have changed the ignition switch checked all the sensors and ignition module if anyone can that would b great.
mickey

Huntington, IN

#149 Oct 24, 2010
Just had a new water pump and all the gaskets replaced and now the car isnt leaking but its running hot so now what should i do?
Josh Y

Lincolnton, NC

#150 Dec 15, 2010
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am having the exact same problem with my 99 Z24 Cavalier in the cold mornings the car doesn't start but when it gets milder the car well start and act just like the day I bought it. Just curious if
you have figured out the problem with your cavalier yet and what was the problem
Yes Please have you figured out what is causing our cavaliers to have this problem? Send me a message please as soon as you can. Thank you. joshuayelton@rocketmail.com
Dalton

Dunbar, PA

#151 Jan 17, 2011
Peter wrote:
I have a 1999 cavalier. The engine turns over but doesn't start. What could that be if anyone knows.
my cavalier z24 had the same problem maybe check your fuel injectors they might be clogged up
Brandon

Olympia, WA

#152 Jan 22, 2011
terror wrote:
i am having the same issue with my 1999 sunfire with the 2.4. i was told by the local goodyear distributer that it was my ignition control module but when i changed it it did the same thing. great way to waste 200 on a diagnostic and some parts right? anyway i took it back to the goodyear store and after i left they said it started fine all day, i got in and drove two miles home i get out and try to start it again and it is doing the exact same thing, turning over but not even trying to start. any ideas?
All cars are the same! You need fuel,spark and air. All at the right time. First check for spark. 2 grab coil wire to see if you have spark from the coil. 3 if you get a good shock hook back up and remove spark plug wire. 4 if shocked spark is good. next remove fuel line and crank if fuel sprays your good. last check if you car is in time
GIL1982

Caldwell, ID

#153 Feb 20, 2011
I HAVE A 1999 CHEVY CAVALIER WITH THE 2.4 ENGINE,I DON'T HAVE SPARK, I HAVE REPLACED CRANK SENSOR, CAMSHAFT SENSOR, IGNITON COILS, IGNITION SWITCH, CHECK FUSES THEY ARE ALL GOOD, I DO HAVE GAS, BUT IT JUST TURNS BUT WON'T FIRE, NEW SPARK PLUGS,IS THERE ANYTHING THAT IM MISSING? ANY IDEAS, ALL LIGHTS IN DASHBOARD WORKS, BUT COULD IT STILL BE A BAD PCM, OR IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT CHECK BEFORE THE PCM? THANKZ EVERYONE IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP
Jeff Sapp

United States

#154 Feb 22, 2011
1999 cavalier has no fire and ciols and ignition module has been checked and tested ok. Can someone help
Jeff Sapp

United States

#155 Feb 22, 2011
no spark
nick

United States

#156 Mar 5, 2011
i have a 96 cav with a 2.2 im lso having the same problem with cold starts , has new fuel pump , im thinking its plugs and wires will see
Bill

Bay City, MI

#157 Mar 16, 2011
I have a 93 cav with a 2.2 and I am getting gas and I have changed the plugs. The problem is on/off. You can drive it for a short distance and it will shut down. It has set in the driveway for a couple of months as no one wants to take a chance with it. I'm going to change the fuel filter next but if that isn't it does anyone have a suggestion?
neli

Cedarville, WV

#158 Mar 23, 2011
wont start wrote:
I have a 1999 Chev caviler 111,000 miles on it. for two years now, when the engine is warmed up and turned off and set for an hour or more. The engine will not start right up. After about 15 to 20 seconds of cranking then it will start.
When the car sets all night and the outside temp drops below 40 degrees the car will start right up. only hard to start when the outside temp is above 40 degrees..any help out there for this. I have replaced the battery, Alternator, starter, MAP, plugs, wires, and everything that makes a spark. I have had this car into two different dealership all saying they could not find anything wrong. fuel pump works fine fuel l pressure has been checked both hourly and over night. still same old problem. When its hot its not when its cold it starts ok ??????????
it is your coolent temp sensor, when they go bad tells comp. it is very cold outside. had ford f150 do same thing changed it woork fine
kris

Oakland, CA

#159 Mar 31, 2011
tyler wrote:
my 1999 Cavalier will turnover but right after it does, it dies. I say its the fuel pump or fuel filter, but the woman of the house says it could be the oil...what do i do?
thats what i am expierencing right now with my 99 2.2L cavalier and like it starts runs a lil then dies but when i start it back up and give it gas the gas goes there to the carb but then dies from the gas... any one knows what going on??

someone email me at krismotorcross91@yahoo.com
Speedy

Irvine, CA

#160 May 24, 2011
99 chevy cavalier 2.2 gets gas has spark turns over but doesn't start

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
service light stays on (Jun '06) 7 hr Millerpaul9940 101
changing the shift knob in chevrolet cavalier (Feb '07) Feb 15 Travis currie 5
Setting the clock in a 2003 chevrolet cavalier (Feb '07) Feb 11 Jacquelyn 15
Speedometer Problem (Nov '08) Feb 11 Jacquelyn 62
Rear Window Defrost: Root Cause Repair (Nov '07) Feb 10 Stracy Peeples 107
Swap 2.2L for 2.4L Feb 5 Fender Bender 1
key codes (Feb '07) Jan 30 Armymom 10
More from around the web