99 cavalier engine will turn over but...

99 cavalier engine will turn over but not start

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Peter

Salmon Arm, Canada

#1 Sep 30, 2006
I have a 1999 cavalier. The engine turns over but doesn't start. What could that be if anyone knows.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jerry

Memphis, TN

#2 Oct 13, 2006
try having someone bang on your gas tank while you turn it over, possible bad fuel pump and filter
street ghost

Madison, WI

#3 Oct 15, 2006
fuel pump is a good call but I think it sounds like a bad crank sensor.... if you turn the ignition key to the on position you should here a little motor turn on under the back seat. that noise is the fuel pump coming up to presure. turn the key on and off a few times to make sure. the only way to check the crank sensor. is inspection. or replacement. there not very much. and easy. the bad news is if it's the timing belt inside the engine. SG**
terror

Portland, OR

#4 Nov 15, 2006
i am having the same issue with my 1999 sunfire with the 2.4. i was told by the local goodyear distributer that it was my ignition control module but when i changed it it did the same thing. great way to waste 200 on a diagnostic and some parts right? anyway i took it back to the goodyear store and after i left they said it started fine all day, i got in and drove two miles home i get out and try to start it again and it is doing the exact same thing, turning over but not even trying to start. any ideas?
mike

Watertown, WI

#5 Nov 16, 2006
Yeah I have a 99 cav 2.2 had it since new. It turns over and eventually starts some times it fires right up, I put a new fuel pump in it and does the same thing. I havent changed the fuel filter or checked the fuel pressure yet my next steps. I have had the pump in for about a year now I hear rattling in the tank and it sounds like a hose is floating around in the tank now. My truck does the same thing bad fuel pump checked the fuel pressure very low, if I turn the key on - off / back on - off and back on again crank the engine for a sec then crank the engine over it will start right away priming it enough to start. Ill post if I find anything next week on the cav.
Nov 23

Halifax, Canada

#6 Nov 23, 2006
My 99 cavalier does the same thing but when it starts and I drive a few miles the gauges stop/start working and warning lights come on and off. Any ideas?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
alesha

United States

#7 Jan 4, 2007
could be the ignition switch.i had a similar problem with my 02 cavalier..it would turn over but would NOT start...we tried the crank sensor, tested the starter, battery etc..none of that worked..took it to the dealer and ended up paying almost $400 to replace the ignition switch. i think it's about an $80 part
Tammy

Ottawa, Canada

#8 Jan 19, 2007
Hi one and all. My husband has a 99 Cavalier and it won't start. We had very cold weather on Tuesday and Wednesday this week and his car would not start. It finally got milder yesterday and it started for him. However after running for some time he parked it... went outside about 3 hours later and it would not start. It is turning over and it seems like it wants to run but just can't.

We used gasline antifreeze but it is obviously not the problem. He thinks it is the fuel pump but it is only a guess. Anyone have any ideas?
matt

Chula Vista, CA

#9 Jan 21, 2007
Peter wrote:
I have a 1999 cavalier. The engine turns over but doesn't start. What could that be if anyone knows.
Peter
I had that same problem with a 99 cavalier z24. It happened that i had a broken terminal. check your battery connections.
jimmy

Denver, CO

#10 Jan 22, 2007
Have a 98 2.2l Cav. with same prob, turns over but will not start. I tried starter fluid in the air cleaner and got it to run for about a second.
Justin

Charlottetown, Canada

#11 Jan 23, 2007
Tammy wrote:
Hi one and all. My husband has a 99 Cavalier and it won't start. We had very cold weather on Tuesday and Wednesday this week and his car would not start. It finally got milder yesterday and it started for him. However after running for some time he parked it... went outside about 3 hours later and it would not start. It is turning over and it seems like it wants to run but just can't.
We used gasline antifreeze but it is obviously not the problem. He thinks it is the fuel pump but it is only a guess. Anyone have any ideas?
I am having the exact same problem with my 99 Z24 Cavalier in the cold mornings the car doesn't start but when it gets milder the car well start and act just like the day I bought it. Just curious if
you have figured out the problem with your cavalier yet and what was the problem
tyler

United States

#12 Jan 23, 2007
my 1999 Cavalier will turnover but right after it does, it dies. I say its the fuel pump or fuel filter, but the woman of the house says it could be the oil...what do i do?
Alec

Saint Petersburg, FL

#13 Jan 29, 2007
mike wrote:
Yeah I have a 99 cav 2.2 had it since new. It turns over and eventually starts some times it fires right up, I put a new fuel pump in it and does the same thing. I havent changed the fuel filter or checked the fuel pressure yet my next steps. I have had the pump in for about a year now I hear rattling in the tank and it sounds like a hose is floating around in the tank now. My truck does the same thing bad fuel pump checked the fuel pressure very low, if I turn the key on - off / back on - off and back on again crank the engine for a sec then crank the engine over it will start right away priming it enough to start. Ill post if I find anything next week on the cav.
I have a 99 cavalier and there was a recall on the ignition switch. Chevrolet says there have been problems with people holding down the ignition when the car wont start and there is a short that causes a fire. Call them and see if there is a recall for your car. I am having the same problems with the rattling when I turn on the key and I think it might me the fuel pump, but it runs fine, and when I let it prime like you were saying it starts right up.
Ron Odell

Surrey, Canada

#14 Jan 29, 2007
Peter wrote:

I had 1993 sun bird that did the same thing it turned out that it was the timing belt located behind the pasenger side fire wall you'll see the cover. hope this helps
tanyalabbe

Lafayette, LA

#15 Jan 30, 2007
i have a 88 honda civic. i was parked at a store when the engine suddenly died. When I tried to restart the car it turned over but did not start. Later when I tried the lights they grew dim.
bryan nelson

Gilman, WI

#16 Feb 2, 2007
it could be a bad head gasket and no com presin
bryan nelson

Gilman, WI

#17 Feb 2, 2007
i have a 2000 cavalier and ever sinc i had it its had nothing but fual problems i spent 4.000 on it.
ben dover

Saint Louis, MO

#18 Feb 3, 2007
it might be something wrong with the tire pressure
Harry

Livingston, NJ

#19 Feb 4, 2007
i have a 1996 volvo 850turbo and when i tried to start it up, it turns over but shut off right away. any suggestions?
tony

Owen Sound, Canada

#20 Feb 4, 2007
mike wrote:
i have a 99 cavalier 2.2 with the exact same problem. sometimes it will hesitate and then the other times it will fire right up. i was wondering if you found out what was wrong with your cavalier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cavalier automatic transmission won't shift int... 5 hr Walls23 1
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) 7 hr Pelfrey 252
obd wiring Aug 10 racergirl 1
Abs Jul 25 mernzen54 1
turn signals not working on 94 cavalier (Dec '06) Jul 24 Ray simone 10
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) Jul 21 Ben young 154
2001 Cavalier ran out of gas wont start (Dec '07) Jul 21 Amythest2112 34
More from around the web