'97 Cavalier - will turn over for a s...
wes

San Antonio, TX

#63 Sep 8, 2011
Sir

I have one i am trying to fix it has been flooded. According to Alldata the issue is from the instrument panel to the computer which has lost ground. I have been told a fix is to run a wire from the battery ground to the IPC and this should correct the solid theft deterent light.
Eric wrote:
I bought a 95 cavalier and a few days later it wouldn't start. replaced the ignition lock/cylinder problem kept happening. Changed the ignition switch and the problem was fixed. Soon after this my car started dying at stop signs and red lights not restartable for 30 mins to an hour. Changed the Transmission Control sensor so far so good about not dying. Now its just really sluggish until I get to about 45 mph or better. Sounds like a popping noise from the front left side of my car. I am thinking it my have something to do with the TPS being that the most common symptom of a bad or misadjusted TPS is hesitation or stumble during acceleration. Any other suggestions on what it could be.
Debra

Calgary, Canada

#64 Sep 25, 2011
thomas wrote:
its easy to reset the theft system if anyone would like to know how to do it they can e mail me at tom28602HOTMAIL.COM
I am not sure if this is going to work but I am having problems with my 1997 chev cavalier. I will never purchase another chev in my entire life. I have tried every thing to get this damm car started. Please can you help me I will try the reset for the theft system. I am almost at my wits end.
Please help
david

Dubuque, IA

#65 Sep 26, 2011
i changed an injector now car wont run it will start for two seconds then die. what is the problem?
Todd

Hernando, FL

#66 Oct 14, 2011
I went to put my 2003 Cavalier into reverse and nothing happened. Then when we put it back into park it won't catch into the parking gear. It is like it is in neutral. Anyone have any ideas what I need to look for.
Vince

Fredericton, Canada

#68 Oct 30, 2011
My 97' cavalier won't start anymore I think I ran it dry once too many or the battery is dead but when connected to another vehicle via jumper cables for several minutes it still won't start ... Anyone have any solutions I could try??
Debra

Calgary, Canada

#69 Nov 4, 2011
In need of how to disconnect the anti theft system for my 1997 chev cavalier is it just a matter of taking the fuse out? please need help real fast. I think that this is the most stupid thing Chev has ever done to a vehicle, I am down to my nickle bag with this damm car.
Kevin

Staunton, VA

#71 Dec 12, 2011
1997 Chevrolet Cavalier...The theft light stays on solid all the time no start tries to but cranks over a few times the acts like the battery is dead..have check the battery shows great condition..tried the relearn process but that doesnt work either. any other ideals? like the ignition switch..how to test?
JOE Phoenix AZ

Mesa, AZ

#72 Dec 16, 2011
****Let's stick with the MAIN TOPIC shall we?
97-98 Cavalier - will turn over for a second or two, then shut down!=(
NOTE to the other people posting questions off the topic - GET OFF THIS TOPIC and search for your specific topic instead of flooding this post for your stupid questions not related to the reported issue....
Anyways, I just took mine to the STEAL-ership for the recall posted above. I have a 98 Cavalier and it is pretty much doing the same thing. My service tech pretty much told me that this would fix the issue
Anyways, I took mine to the STEALER-ship to get the recall done for the ignition system."Dragon" - my service tech pretty much advised me that this should take care of my hard starting issue. 3 hours later I got a call stating that the car is ready and it is in the "WASH" bay for complimentary wash.
Got to the Stealership 30 min later to pick up the car and talk to a different service tech and advised me that the recall that was done in my car is the ignition harness and doesnt do anything with the hard starting issue. He told me that the problem is the CLUSTER PANEL that sending the info to the car computer to shut down the fuel line due to theft and it'll cost me at least $600.00 to fix it. WTF?
Well, will find out tomorrow morning if the car would start. UPDATE to follow. Fingers crossed.
marietc

Fort Wayne, IN

#73 Jan 23, 2012
looking for a 96 cavilier body to buy contact me through email [email protected] thank you
chris

Casco, MI

#74 Feb 2, 2012
Get in it pump the break 3 times see if the theft light goes off and start it reset the computer is what your doing !
bill

Seattle, WA

#75 Mar 18, 2012
have a 99 cavalier and replaced the dash cluster now key goes in but will not turn at all. tryed turning wheel and all but nothing. anyone have any ideas

Since: Mar 12

Ogden, UT

#76 Mar 19, 2012
check out TPMSManager.com
They have all the information needed to service TPMS including accurate relearns and videos. The software is designed to tire retailers, but consumers can use it just as easily. They got a 7 day free trial. I used it to relearn my 07 Chevy Tahoe and it was pretty sweet.
krystle

United States

#77 Apr 2, 2012
my 97 caviler was hooked up to a computer today and it was running fine before that and now it starts for 1 second and shuts off the place told me i had to replace the computer i am not sure what to do if anyone can help me on what to do please email me at [email protected]
dan

Canton, PA

#78 Apr 17, 2012
Rory Schneider wrote:
I replaced the ignition on my '96 Chevy Cavalier and the theft light came on. When this happens, the computer cuts the fuel to the engine and prevents the car from running. All you have to do in order to reset the computer is:
leave the battery connected, turn the key forward (don't start the car) and let the theft light blink. When it stops blinking (after about 30 minutes) it should be solid. Then, turn the key forward (don't start the car) until the dash light turn on and then turn the key back - do this three times and the computer will reset. Hope this helps!
it worked like a champ.. thanks
rose

Altoona, PA

#79 May 17, 2012
my boyfriend has a 1999 chevey cavalier race car he put a new computer in it and it wont start and stay running any ideas
rose

Altoona, PA

#80 May 18, 2012
the theft light dont flash so how do we reset it if it dont flash like in the instructions
ljkss69

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#81 Sep 12, 2012
Mark wrote:
My 1996 had the same symptoms. Here is what I have so far:
Two different shops said that the problem is with the ignition system (ignition cylinder, its housing, and the ignition switch). Apparently they are sending a theft signal to the computer which causes the engine to die immediately after start up.
The (reputable) mechanics at City Garage gave me the straight story but admitted that they could do nothing as it would involge proprietary equipment at a GM dealership to be able to resolve a problem involving the computer.
The Dealership told me the same story about the theft signals and said the ignition components would have to be replaced. They'd be happy to do it too, for a mere $1500. Yeh, I just bet they would.
A little research later and I discovered that there are recalls involving the ignition system ( http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ ), fuel pump, accelerator control cable, steering, rear suspension, and air bags. The recall on the ignition system states that it is a safety issue and that it could suddenly burst into flame at any time. Funny how the dealership wasn't aware of this...
So, the car is at a different dealership for the recall work and I'll post the results when I get her back.
Cheers
!!!!!! UPDATE !!!!!!
The recall ID is NHTSA: 02V070000.
I have had the car back for a week now and it has started the first time, every time. I have not seen the annoying Anti-Theft light even once.
If you choose to have your car serviced for this issue, make sure they check it out for the others I listed. According to the NHTSA, all of the issues except the fuel pump and air bags can cause loss of control and crash. The fuel pump in my car went bad and cost me more than $500 before I realized it was a recall item. And, of course, you don't want the air bags to fail if you need them.
Cheers
"mark" this has to be the MOST informative "post" ive EVER obtained off the web! cant T H AN K Y O U ENOUGH!!
joshua

Watauga, TN

#82 Oct 10, 2012
Rory Schneider wrote:
I replaced the ignition on my '96 Chevy Cavalier and the theft light came on. When this happens, the computer cuts the fuel to the engine and prevents the car from running. All you have to do in order to reset the computer is:
leave the battery connected, turn the key forward (don't start the car) and let the theft light blink. When it stops blinking (after about 30 minutes) it should be solid. Then, turn the key forward (don't start the car) until the dash light turn on and then turn the key back - do this three times and the computer will reset. Hope this helps!
My light don't blink it just stays solid until you try to start it then it blinks for about 2 seconds then returns to solid I'm stumped any help would be great
Kevin

Los Angeles, CA

#83 Oct 18, 2012
Has anyone come up with how to fix the 97Cavalier start only run couple sec one problem I just want to replace mess with switchs and a push button don care want or need key tell me how my email is [email protected] THANK YOU VERY MUCH U LIVE IN SOCAL WILL BUY A BEER
Kevin

Los Angeles, CA

#84 Oct 22, 2012
Sasha wrote:
My 1997 Chevy Cavalier Has A 2.2 OHV Engine, Approx. 150,000 Miles..
My Problem: When I Turn The Key, The Engine Will Turn Over, And Will Sometimes Run For 1-3 Seconds (if At All), And Then Shut Down. When It Shuts Down, You Have To Turn The Key Back Off, And Then On Again To Get It To Try To Start.
At First, None Of The Dashlights (including The Gear Shift Indicator Light) Would Come On. Since Replacing The Electrical Part Of The Ignition Switch, The Lights Now Come On.
We Have Replaced The Battery And Had The Alternator Tested. Have Replaced The PCM (powertrain Control Module), Still Nothing.
This Is My Only Car, my budget is very tight, and Any Help/advice You May Have Will Be VERY Appreciated!!
Thanks In Advance!
(can email [email protected] or reply here)
I'm having the same problem so how can I fix this problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Wed kesterkid 250
Abs Jul 25 mernzen54 1
turn signals not working on 94 cavalier (Dec '06) Jul 24 Ray simone 10
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) Jul 21 Ben young 154
2001 Cavalier ran out of gas wont start (Dec '07) Jul 21 Amythest2112 34
Help with knowing about a 1989 Chevy Cavalier... Jul 18 DVC 1
switching back lights Jul 13 Josecarranza3 1
More from around the web