'95 Cavalier Stalls and Dies... Fuel ...

'95 Cavalier Stalls and Dies... Fuel Pump?

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Morari

United States

#1 Mar 21, 2007
My 1995 Cavalier has, since last summer, developed a rather annoying problem. It seems to putt to a stall and then die, as if running out of gas. This seems to only happen at lower speeds and has an especially nasty habit of doing so in stop and go traffic, when one is stopping or accelerating from a stop. Sometimes you can immediately start it back up, other times you have to wait several minutes to half an hour.
This problem only occurs after the vehicles is properly warmed up, and seems even more prevalent after it has been driven and then sits shut off only to be driven again (parking, going into a store and coming back out, for example). Furthermore, it doesn't do it AT ALL in colder weather, which is why I am beginning to worry about it again now that summer is approaching.
I've had a lot of different guesses as to the cause proposed, including a bad fuel pump, bad connectors going into the fuel pump, or just a sensor glitch. I'm hoping for a sensor personally, so I can forgo the multi-hundred dollar repairs. I just wanted to try to gain some more information bout the problem before taking it down and having the computer hooked up.
rossridge

United States

#2 Mar 27, 2007
We have a 95 Cavalier also. It did EXACTLY the same thing as your car. The first time it had two problems. The head was warped and the timing was off. We bought a new timing chain and then took the head to a machine shop, had them grind it down and it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, it got a radiator leak after that, over heated (my son continued to drive it. :-( and warped the head again. We just took it in yesterday and got it fixed again. We changed the fuel pump first but that was not the problem even though everyone thought it was. I would venture to say your head on there is warped and water is getting into your cylinders. Good luck. They are a pain the a** to work on cause there is no room inside. If the head is cracked you should be able to find another one at a salvage yard. Just take it to a machine shop and get them to grind it down. Autozone has a Hanes manual and it can help you take it apart. Good luck
Haxsaw

Moseley, VA

#3 May 4, 2007
Morari, has this problem been resolved, I have a '96 cavaleir that is doing the exact same thing, just like someone turned the fuel off.. I've replaced the fuel filter and gas cap tp dat ebut has not fixed the problem.. it will run for days or even weeks befor eit does it again, then does it every day for a while then clears up.. HELP!!
Colin

Canada

#4 May 9, 2007
I'm not sure if you've resolved the issue yet since my posting comes a bit late. However, I also have a '95 Cavalier. My car has had problems with fuel pressure, a lot of engine chugging, and problems starting up the vehicle. I have had the fuel pump replaced, which stopped the chugging for the most part. But after that, the head was warped so I took that to a machine shop. Now, I can barely get the car started. Usually takes 15 minutes of turning the ignition to actually get the car moving. What I would suggest is getting a very knowledgeable mechanic to go through EVERY possible theory because I've been given different answers and it just seems to go from one problem to the next and I'm already past $2000 in repairs and replacements.
Alex

Richelieu, Canada

#5 May 9, 2007
i have a 97 chevy cavalier and i have the same problem, the problem is the fuel fump, this is the main problem of GM cavalier 1995 to 2005 its the same problem !!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Will

Peace River, Canada

#6 May 15, 2007
I have a 96' cavalier as well, and its doing the same thing, it starts, then shuts off almost immediatly after. I just bought a new fuel filter in hopes that it wil solve my problem. Judging by the blog, I'm thinking that it won't :(
I'm just hoping I dont have to machine the head!!! Anyways thanks for everyones quick tips. I'll post weather or not the filter changes anything ;)
loretta

Alamosa, CO

#7 May 17, 2007
Morari wrote:
My 1995 Cavalier has, since last summer, developed a rather annoying problem. It seems to putt to a stall and then die, as if running out of gas. This seems to only happen at lower speeds and has an especially nasty habit of doing so in stop and go traffic, when one is stopping or accelerating from a stop. Sometimes you can immediately start it back up, other times you have to wait several minutes to half an hour.
This problem only occurs after the vehicles is properly warmed up, and seems even more prevalent after it has been driven and then sits shut off only to be driven again (parking, going into a store and coming back out, for example). Furthermore, it doesn't do it AT ALL in colder weather, which is why I am beginning to worry about it again now that summer is approaching.
I've had a lot of different guesses as to the cause proposed, including a bad fuel pump, bad connectors going into the fuel pump, or just a sensor glitch. I'm hoping for a sensor personally, so I can forgo the multi-hundred dollar repairs. I just wanted to try to gain some more information bout the problem before taking it down and having the computer hooked up.
Well at least I'm not the only one. my 95 is doing the same thing and form what I'm hearing I quess a new fuel pump is the way to go.Of course it has to be the more expensive option, I too have had the head worked on and still the problems
kyle

Stratford, Canada

#9 Oct 5, 2007
if the fuel pump doen't work try replacing the crank sensor
hassan

Liberty, NY

#10 Nov 17, 2007
yo morari i got a 98 and before i got my 98 i was going to get the 97 and i found out from the dealer that year has a bad crank sensor problem. cheap to cheap but a bitch problem to find.
Mary

Lancaster, NY

#11 Dec 13, 2007
I have a 97 Cavalier, with only 35,000 miles and it stalls out while driving, usually when coming to a stop. Mechanics have checked it out and could not find the problem. What next?

Since: Dec 07

Memphis, TN

#12 Jan 2, 2008
I HAD THAT PROBLEM AND TOOK THE CAR TO GET AN ENGINE OVER HAUL AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE... IT WOULD STOP AT A STOP SIGN OR IF I STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT 200 DOLLARS
Mark

Toronto, Canada

#13 Jan 4, 2008
I recently purchased a 95 cavalier in the summer which was having this problem. Its a real stupid problem that alot of people seem to have but know one seems to know about it. The cause of this is the solenoid in the transmission. What happens is when you take the car over 60km/h - 40 mp/h the solenoids opens which as far as i was told it gives the car better fuel mileage while on the highway and what happens is when you are slowing down its supposed to close but it gets stuck open which chokes the engine and causes it to shut off. Now you don't need to replace this right away all you have to do is locate it. Now its pretty easy to spot out, look at the front of your transmission and you should see a light blue harness connected to it, simply just disconnect it and your problem should be fixed unless it is something else. And if you would like to get it replaced it costs around 100 bucks plus an hour labour (not 100% sure though). Ive been driving with it unplugged for about 3 months now and hasn't caused a problem accept alittle bit of fuel mileage lost on the highway.
Randy

Independence, MO

#14 Jan 10, 2008
i just incountered this problem on my friends moms car... it was doing the same as all you are saying...it had a code and the check engine light was on aswell ...So first i replace the MAP sensor($36 carquest) light was still on but seemed to fix it but only for a day and started acting back up today...So todday i replace the O2 sensor($25 carquest)and pulled the positive battery cable for a couple minutes and then it started fine and drove fine...So thats my two cents on the problem ill keep posted if the stalling and dieing returns
Rhonda

Las Vegas, NV

#15 Jan 25, 2008
1993 z-24 cavalier was running great and just(after 12 degree weather ) on nice day stalled and now will drive sometimes 2 hours and stall again. the anti-freeze s/b stronger is all i noticed that day. my mechanic has put a crank sensor on it. but now says its blowing a fuse everytime and thinks it might be the new fuel pump doing it. any ideas
Mark

San Antonio, TX

#16 Feb 13, 2008
!!!!!! SOLUTIONS !!!!!!
My 96 Cav was serviced for an ignition recall and has not had the start and die issue since. There is also a recall on the fuel pump, steering, rear suspension, and accelerator control cable.

Cheers
Kylee

Oakville, Canada

#17 Feb 23, 2008
ok 1st of all lets all vow to never again buy (or in my case receive as a gift) a 1995 cavalier EVER AGAIN!! lol ok so my car just decided one morning to not start, apparently gas is not going to the spark plugs, which honestly i have no idea what means because i know nothing about cars. could this be a fuel pump problem or a computer related issue??
Road Runner 2000

Orlando, FL

#18 Mar 26, 2008
My early 1998 Cavalier had exact the same problem while coming to a red light stop after it's been driven for two and a half years. The fuel pump was replaced. The car has been running good until now. Hope this'll be useful.

Beep Beep !!!
steve sweeney

Camden, NY

#19 Mar 27, 2008
ok.ive owned cavaliers my whole life have done all my own work..but i see alot of the suggestions here,,and some are probally rite..but ive had those problems before..and what was happening is the coil is getting hot or malfuntioning yes they will do this at stops and take offs as well ..coils on cavaliers are known for this...ive had a few do it to me .hope i helped someone steve
1999 plymouth

Carmel, IN

#20 Mar 30, 2008
I ALSO HAVE THE PROBLEM BECAUSE WHEN I STOP AT LIGHTS OR TAKING OFF IT SEEMS LIKE IT WANT TO DIE. SOMETIMES IT DOES AND SOMETIMES IT DOES NOT CUT OFF. I CHANGED EVERYTHING LIKE THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE, THROTTLE SWITCH, CAM SENSOR, MAP SENSOR BUT I HAVE NOT CHANGED THE CRANK SENSOR WHICH I AM GETTING EVERYONE IS TELLING ME. I AM TIRED OF SPENDING MONEY AND THE PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS.
indiekrushdotcom

Las Vegas, NV

#21 Jun 27, 2008
so i have the same story.....i think i am going to print this screen and take to to a shop. then have them go at it. it seems to have to many variables.
my check engine light goes on and off. with the light on my car stalls. i recently had my transmission rebuilt. thats when the symptoms started. i drive around for more than 25 mins or so then my car stalls at a stop light. wait a few mins car starts. drive a little longer. stalls. wait a few hours car drives fine for another 25 mins or so. i dont think the vegas heat helps much either.
this is a list of all my options from reading this forum:
1.fuel pump
2.fuel filter
3.gas cap
4.O2 sensor
5.map sensor
6.warped head
7.crank sensor
8.throttle switch
9.idle control valve
10.cam sensor
11.coil
im taking this to the shop. you should too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Cavalier ran out of gas wont start (Dec '07) 12 hr Amythest2112 34
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) 16 hr LindaPickles 153
Help with knowing about a 1989 Chevy Cavalier... Jul 18 DVC 1
switching back lights Jul 13 Josecarranza3 1
No brake lights or turn signals on 00 Cavalier (Oct '06) Jul 12 Tony 140
2003 Cavalier stalling (Jul '07) Jul 7 Nicholee_amari 59
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Jul 7 Geremy 249
More from around the web