2003 Cavalier Timing Chain, common pr...

2003 Cavalier Timing Chain, common problem?

Posted in the Chevrolet Cavalier Forum

cbtamale

United States

#1 Jan 10, 2007
Timing chain jumped on my 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Is this a common problem like my mechanic said, and if so why is there not a recall on this issue? I am having to face replacing the whole engine on this car that is hardly 4 years old because the valves were damaged as a result of this jumping timing chain. Doesn't seem right! How does GM go about deciding what gets recalled and what doesn't?

“03 Cav is costly!”

Since: Jan 07

Leesburg, GA

#2 Jan 21, 2007
Are you sure you need to replace the motor? Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago with my 03. I thought it was junk, but I got lucky. The dealership gave me an 18 page print-out on how to fix it. The only thing bad was the tensioner, but I replaced the sprockets and chain too. I went from 28mpg to 33mpg hwy after I fixed it.***WARNING*** fuel pumps on the 03 last from 60k to 90k miles. This is my current problem... Cost is $264 for the pump with me fixing it. Let me know if you plan to fix it yourself.
cbtamale wrote:
Timing chain jumped on my 2003 Chevy Cavalier. Is this a common problem like my mechanic said, and if so why is there not a recall on this issue? I am having to face replacing the whole engine on this car that is hardly 4 years old because the valves were damaged as a result of this jumping timing chain. Doesn't seem right! How does GM go about deciding what gets recalled and what doesn't?
need those pages

Suwanee, GA

#3 Jul 2, 2011
C Lawson wrote:
Are you sure you need to replace the motor? Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago with my 03. I thought it was junk, but I got lucky. The dealership gave me an 18 page print-out on how to fix it. The only thing bad was the tensioner, but I replaced the sprockets and chain too. I went from 28mpg to 33mpg hwy after I fixed it.***WARNING*** fuel pumps on the 03 last from 60k to 90k miles. This is my current problem... Cost is $264 for the pump with me fixing it. Let me know if you plan to fix it yourself.
<quoted text>
Yout still have the 18 pages you can send me.
Willie

Lafayette, IN

#4 Jul 28, 2011
cbtamale wrote:
for those who might still care, this is not common. Also car companies dont do recalls just because they know stuff breaks, they do recalls if they are going to get in trouble over car safety. If GM recalled everything they made that was crap from 1988 to 2001, they would have sold a net zero cars
chorton

Maple, Canada

#5 Sep 28, 2012
I have a 2003 cavalier and my timing chain/tensioner is done it didn't jump its timing cause we caught it in time but i was quoted $1400 to repair is there anyone out there who can tell me if this is right or not cause i don't want to pay for it... how do we go about fixing the issue .. help! really needing this car for the winter.
chorton

Maple, Canada

#6 Sep 28, 2012
and ya the fuel pump does go at about 90k ours did.. cost me $900 bucks so mad.. labour was cheap part from GM cost an arm and a leg
Ted

Newmarket, Canada

#7 Apr 28, 2013
2003 cavalier 160 000km...timing chain tick.
turned out the long black timing chain guide bolt into the head broke... stripped the head...
replaced, balance shaft chain tensioner and guides
timing chain and guides and tensioner
head (wreckers 100$)
put it all together and I have a tick.......
WTF!
took it all apart again, checked everything...nothing wrong. Put it all back together again.
still ticks. Took everything in me not to take the sledge to it. any ideas??
piston slap? valve spring?
Ive decided to drive the crap out of it and see if it nukes or goes away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
99 cavalier engine will turn over but not start (Sep '06) Jun 25 Keys 246
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Jun 22 Tattoo-D 215
Trouble with my lights (Jun '06) Jun 22 GTGarrison 42
break lights won't come on but other lights will Jun 19 Margie Aini Mercier 1
01 Cavalier lights not on (Sep '06) Jun 16 99 Sunfire Owner 38
Help Jun 15 Ron 1
want to increase horsepower on the 2003 2.2 eco... (Jun '06) Jun 14 Chad 116
More from around the web