1999 cavalier water pump
mrbill669

Jenks, OK

#1 Jan 21, 2007
car over heats instantly when started. is ther a way to test the water pump before replacing?
Alec

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Jan 29, 2007
mrbill669 wrote:
car over heats instantly when started. is ther a way to test the water pump before replacing?
I had to replace the water pump on my 99 cavalier. Before you start the car make sure there is enough water in the reservoir. Mine was leaking from the bottom, back of the engine so I knew it was the water pump but I dont know how else to test it. I had it replaced and it cost me a little over 300.
mrbill669

Jenks, OK

#3 Jan 29, 2007
Alec wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to replace the water pump on my 99 cavalier. Before you start the car make sure there is enough water in the reservoir. Mine was leaking from the bottom, back of the engine so I knew it was the water pump but I dont know how else to test it. I had it replaced and it cost me a little over 300.
That's the funny thing, It DOES NOT leak a drop, It only gets hot and over flows.
Neil morgan

Newtownards, UK

#4 Feb 7, 2007
Is it an airlock in the system? Water doesn't expand much until it turns to steam which normally rises to the top of any system. For it to overflow suggests that an air/steam pocket is expanding and forcing the water down in that area and up elsewhere
angela

Longwood, FL

#5 Mar 19, 2007
mrbill669 wrote:
If it's overheating instantly than chances are it's not just the water pump. When I had that problem with my cavalier, it ended up being a problem that started with the water pump and radiator and ended up being warped head gaskets because I rode around in it to long with it overheating.
Tim

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Mar 20, 2007
check your radiator for hot spots. Also test your thermostate. If the thermostate isnt working properly it will not open when anitfreeze gets to the threshold temp. Test the thermostat by putting in boiling water to see if it opens. on 99 thermostat is on the lower radiator hose not the top like some 2.2 motors
mrbill669

Jenks, OK

#7 Mar 26, 2007
angela wrote:
<quoted text>
If it's overheating instantly than chances are it's not just the water pump. When I had that problem with my cavalier, it ended up being a problem that started with the water pump and radiator and ended up being warped head gaskets because I rode around in it to long with it overheating.
How did you find out it was the head gaskets?
jeremie

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Apr 15, 2007
Look under the water pump to see if it is leaking. There is a little hole there and if the seals are bad it will leak coolant. It only costs $23.00 for a new one.
linda

Glens Falls, NY

#9 Aug 28, 2010
my 99 cavalier is leaking coolant but only when you shut the engine off-not running hot at all-anyone have any ideas?
philard

Mountlake Terrace, WA

#10 Feb 5, 2011
mrbill669 wrote:
if your car over heats instantly this sounds like u may have a blow head gasket, and water is leaking into your motor, check the oil and seee if it has water drops or is milky if so this is your problem. but then too the water pump could be bad, if so it would be leaking water from the pump. to check you will have to fill up the radiator with water, and look all around the motor to see if water is leaking out, if you can afford to take it to a repair shop they will pressurrize the system and if the pump is bad, water will leak out fast.good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Cavalier ran out of gas wont start (Dec '07) 11 hr Amythest2112 34
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) 15 hr LindaPickles 153
Help with knowing about a 1989 Chevy Cavalier... Jul 18 DVC 1
switching back lights Jul 13 Josecarranza3 1
No brake lights or turn signals on 00 Cavalier (Oct '06) Jul 12 Tony 140
2003 Cavalier stalling (Jul '07) Jul 7 Nicholee_amari 59
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Jul 7 Geremy 249
More from around the web