Cavalier dashboard problem
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
dorrisgaston

Humble, TX

#1 Nov 24, 2007
I have a 2000 Cavalier convertible. The dashboard right under the windshield has cracked in 6 places. This is the plastic panel that sits right behind the windshield. I could understand maybe 1 crack from the sun or weather, but for it to keep on cracking, does not make ant sense. Has anyone else had this problem? Or do you have a solution for this, ie where to get the aftermarket part?
Lee

Richmond, KY

#2 Nov 25, 2007
I have the same problem. It seems to me that the plastic is just cheap and can not withstand the weather and just gets dry and cracks. I have seen several other Cavaliers with the sam problem too. As far as the aftermarket part I am not sure what to tell you on that one.
dorrisgaston

Humble, TX

#3 Nov 25, 2007
The reason I am asking about the aftermarket part, is obviously, the factory made part is flawed. It seems to me, it is a faulty part to begin with. I would like to replace the part, but don't want to have it turn out the same way.
Lee

Richmond, KY

#4 Dec 2, 2007
If you get another aftermarket one you are probably looking at athe same problem again. Given it took awhile for it to happen to mine so a new one would probaly last awhile but if you are planning on hanging on to the car for awhile you will most likely have another cracked dashboard. I have not had much luck finding an aftermarket either.
dorrisgaston

Humble, TX

#5 Dec 3, 2007
Thanks, Lee. If you haven't found one, what are you basing it on? I thought maybe an aftermarket, which would not be the original equip. mfg, might be better quality material. It took mine about 4 years before the first crack. You may be right, Just wanted to try someting. It looks terrible because it just continues to break.I plan on keeping the car forever.I also have cracks around the round part above the steering wheel and above the radio.
Lee

Richmond, KY

#6 Dec 8, 2007
Mine just cracked around the area where the vent is. In all honesty I probably just have not looked hard enough to find one yet. I have had alot of other problems out of mine and I think it has reached the end of it's rope, so I am not looking into it that hard.About the best I have found is covers to go over the original dash. Don't know if that would interest you but check out pitstopautoparts.com if you maight be.
dorrisgaston

Humble, TX

#7 Dec 10, 2007
Thanks. I have seen the covers for them. That didn't interest me in the least. This is my 3rd Cavalier Convertible and I love it. My first was an 87 which I loved, the second was a used 96 from Hawaii which I found had been run into the ground, naturally. I have had no problems out of this one other than I put a VERY expensive fuel pump on it. And the dashboard problem, which is a just an eyesore. Thanks for your responses. Hopefully someone else out there has this same problem and can lead me to the correct solution.

Since: Dec 07

Memphis, TN

#8 Jan 2, 2008
LMAO I WENT TO THE SALVAGE AND EVERY CAVALIER HAD THAT PROB. MY OLD 99 CAV DID AND MY 2003 DOES TOO. MY 99 WAS BAD THE 2003 HAS MINOR CRACKS. THE 99 WAS MISSING PIECES, GETTING A RADIO INSTALLED MAKES IT WORSE. UGH.
lewis

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Mar 29, 2008
I have the same problem and am wondering if you ever found a place to buy the dash. I searched over 10 parts stores on the internet and ebay with no luck. Mine cracks more every day. All of my cracks are around the defroster.
gusbar

Lytle Creek, CA

#10 Jul 18, 2008
To any one here does anybody know where to get a new dash board for 96 cavalier please let me know thnx 5523
chris

Washington, IL

#11 Jul 27, 2008
lewis wrote:
I have the same problem and am wondering if you ever found a place to buy the dash. I searched over 10 parts stores on the internet and ebay with no luck. Mine cracks more every day. All of my cracks are around the defroster.
I have seen, on ebay, the piece which often breaks next to the windshield. They fit over the cracked piece and costs about $130.00. If by chance, you need/want the whole dash assembly, I have one. contact [email protected]
chris

Washington, IL

#12 Jul 27, 2008
Previous post PS..this is for a 99-05 cavalier or Pont Sunfire.
jared

United States

#13 Sep 17, 2008
lewis wrote:
i have the whole dash piece. im looking to sell it. it has no cracks in it.
jared

United States

#14 Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone wantn to buy the whole dash piece. It has no cracks in it
henry

United States

#15 Sep 20, 2008
Hey jared... how much u want for the dash???
kcw

Garland, TX

#16 Sep 22, 2008
This happend to mine as well. Also the front part has started to crack in many places around the wheel and radio.
Dan

Honolulu, HI

#17 Oct 18, 2008
I'm VERY interested in the dashboard piece as well. How can I contact you, this board would not let me post my phone number.
Nicole

United States

#18 Oct 27, 2008
My dash piece ('01 Cavalier) is cracked in SIX PLACES! it's driving me crazy. I can't justify spending $200 for the OEM piece that is surely going to have the exact same issues in a few years. I'm currently looking at junkyards and found one that's around $100, but I'm sure it'll be cracked in no time. And there's quite a bit of labor involved in installing one of these, so it's a pain!

They really need to make an aftermarket part that isn't hard plastic and could actually absorb Formula 2001 or something.(My interior is charcoal gray, by the way, in case anyone runs across one of these!)
Brad

Aspen, CO

#19 Oct 29, 2008
I have the same issue as everyone else only I only have one crack at the moment. I have dealt with a lot of this sort of thing, I am a mobile electronics installer, and i see cavalier dash cracks a lot. one thing I was thinking of is taking the piece and having the texture matched in vinyl fabric at my local auto interior place, then have the vinyl stretched over a new OEM replacement piece, this would completely protect it and it would look better.
lindsey

West Des Moines, IA

#20 Nov 17, 2008
I have an 01 Cavalier and the dash was fine until just this year, and now it has cracks in three places. I found replacement dashes for around $100 at Coverlay Mfg and Howell Automotive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
car temp is hot antifreeze boiling over from th... (May '08) Sep 18 Danah 29
2004 cavalier airbags Sep 17 maxology 1
interchangeable Sep 9 44cheyan ktown 1
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Sep 9 44cheyan 254
2002 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 L motor Sep 6 Jack 2
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) Sep 3 Scott 155
service light stays on (Jun '06) Sep 2 rls2457 100
More from around the web