2001 cavalier service light plus quic...
Peter Krause

Aurora, CO

#61 Feb 17, 2008
I had a bad hose leading from the windshield wiper motor to the wiper blades, cracked underneath the battery mount. I now have the same issue with the flashing light indicator and the service light. Replaced hose, replaced motor( for the windshield fluid) and now need to check the harness beneath the battery mount.
Jayson

Grimsby, Canada

#62 Mar 2, 2008
Did you figure it out yet? Just replaced headlight on 2000 Cav this morning in my driveway.

I live in Burlington.
vince wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you replace the bulbs. I can't seem to figure it out or how to get at it.
Ashley

Syracuse, NY

#63 Mar 11, 2008
I just went out to start my 2001 cavalier and the service light came on and I hear a clicking sound coming from the dash, any ideas?
james

Lakewood, NY

#64 May 1, 2008
i have a 2002 cavalier auto i want to take off the shifter how do you do that?thanks
Dennis

Saint Petersburg, FL

#65 Jul 2, 2008
My low beams don't work but high beam and day running lights work fine. However service light comes on when you put trans. in gear. I removed one of the headlight asmbly and determined no votage was reaching the low beam. I purchased a headlight/turn signal/cruise/flasher/dimmer switch. So far I haven't determined how to get the lower steering column cover off. Three screws come out of the bottom, top half snaps off but bottom half must clear the tilt steering lever and ignition switch on opposite side. Any suggestions?
Christina

Shippensburg, PA

#66 Sep 10, 2008
I have an '01 Cavy 5 Spd and I started having the same type of problem today. I've found out that wires in the harness are corroded. Backyard Mech knows what he's saying. Go to your local auto store and buy new wires and replace them yourself. It's not a hard fix if you know what to look for. I suggest replacing ALL the wires though, not just the one that's corroded. Could save you money in the long run. For specifics go to http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2001-chevy-cava...
The guy who added this post even put pics up to show what to look for! Hope this helps!
Nick

Dushore, PA

#67 Oct 20, 2008
i have an 01 cavelier and something is messed up i have no highbeam or daytime running lights if some one could tell me y let me know....pleaze

Since: Nov 08

Mexicali, Mexico

#68 Nov 5, 2008
I discovered this before having a mechanic look at it. They would have replaced the wheel sensors. There is a bulletin on the web which describes this... the short occurs in the wiring harness section where it attaches to the suspension usually on the left side. It's not the sensor reporting incorrect speed; it is reporting a malfunction in the signal it receives; Chevrolet has a part number for a replacement-left-side-harness. It is:Part No. 12187091-- they call it a jumper harness.

Here is the article I found:

ABS and/or "Traction Off" warning light on, codes stored. The owner of a 2003-04 Chevy Cavalier or Pontiac Sunfire may come into your shop complaining that the ABS and/or "Traction Off warning light on the dash is illuminated. When he does, grab your scanner and start checking for DTCs. If you pull codes C1223 and C1225, chances are good the front wheel speed sensor jumper harness has an intermittent connection.
For some reason, the left-side harness seems to be affected much more so than the right, says GM. The car maker also warns that the connection may appear good in the shop when the harness is checked with a DVOM, because it's not subjected to the movement, vibration and flexing that occurs on the road. Visually inspecting the harness connector for wire pullout is a much more accurate diagnostic approach. If you find that the wires have indeed unseated from the connector, replace the jumper harness with a new, more durable design, Part No. 12187091.
To install the new harness, get the car on a lift and remove the three forward harness routing clips. These will be reused. Now remove the remaining two clips at the control arm and toss them (new ones are provided with the new harness). Next, disconnect the wheel speed sensor connector, plug in the new harness, route it properly and install the five clips.

Continue the repair by cutting the tape and pulling back on the conduit of the old harness. Using the new harness as a guide, cut the wires, strip the ends and splice the wires together using the splice clips provided with the updated harness. Push the conduit back over the new harness, then seal up the repair with electrical tape. To complete the fix, lower the vehicle and take to the road to ensure that the warning light(s) stays off.

Use your best judgment or consult a mechanic before attempting this. Good luck and I hope it helps.
chevyguy

Mount Pleasant, PA

#69 Dec 7, 2008
confused wrote:
<quoted text>
I have this problem with my 01 cavalier. I took it to the dealer and they want 1400 to replace the front wiring harness. I have to find someone to fix this. It is really annoying that I have to be home before dark. The dealer also let me know that if ignored all the headlights will eventually stop working. Someone Help!!!
just replace the harness yourself, it's extremely easy!!! You don't NEED to replace your harness though unless it has been changed from it's original making, you just have a broken wire, they usually always brake off on the driver's side where they all come together (Left and Right), take out the driver's headlight, there they will be!
Luis

Chicago, IL

#70 Jan 7, 2009
Argh, I have the same problem. When starting the car everything is fine. But When I switch gears i.e. R,N,D the following occur.
1.) Daytime Running Lamps flash 7 times and go off.
2.)Service light immediately comes on.

However in my situation if your turn your headlights on right away the service light wont come up. And in my case only the LEFT headlamp doesn't work when it's in the low setting, however in the high setting both lights work.

Apart from that also my LEFT turning indicator and brake light do not work.

For the headlamp I will be replacing the light bulb, and for the turning indicators and brake light I will be switching the fuse near the steering column, with any luck everything should be as good as new.:)
Chuck T

AOL

#71 Feb 15, 2009
wesley bellah wrote:
2000 cavalier-blinking drl light then no drls or highbeam headlights. This all starts when car is put into gear, the drl indicator blinks then the drls go out then the service light appears, light resets after car is turned off. Changed bulbs and combination switch in steering column did no fix the problem. The solution was to remove the headlight wiring harness that is pluged in toward the back of the battery box, it goes to your headlights, parklamps, windshield washer and horn. Stripped all insulation from wiring and repaired splices that are hidden under the wrapping, put harness back in and everything works great, was going to put in new harness, dealer says 500.00 dollars, I think not, if you remove the harness there is a grounded block mounted below the battery that has to be taken loose, take the windshield washer bottle loose and pry it over and you will be able to slip the plug from the wiring harness out and repair the harness. The removal process is easier if you remove the headlamps and plastic cover over the radiator, I wish you all the luck, I fought with this car for some time, now the problem is solved.
. This post saved me a small fortune , thanks !!!!
Luis

United States

#72 Feb 21, 2009
Well I had the same issue with the headlamps but apart from that I recommend that everyone fixes the wiring. Mine had become so bad that it affected my turn signals and break lights. 300 Dollars later I have brand new wiring, guarantee, and all my lights work again. It was nice because I was able to tell the mechanic exactly what I wanted. I'm happy it's not the best car but it's my car until something better is withing my grasp.
jmj

Phelan, CA

#73 Mar 13, 2009
have a 2000 cavalier right headlight is real low. changed bulb same thing i checked fuses for lights. no help left fuse turns off lights right fuse does nothing when taken out not sure of where to start with the wiring/electrical problem. any help is appreciated
l white

Cordova, TN

#74 Apr 1, 2009
heallights not working and service light on when put in gear is caused by battery acid leakage on the wiring harness connector directly under the battery. this is located on the frame rail and consist of roughly 15 or so wires. this shorts and will have to be replaced. fairly time consuming and best done by an auto electric tech. [email protected] for more info.
WitAd9aolcom

Schererville, IN

#75 Apr 27, 2009
Christina wrote:
I have an '01 Cavy 5 Spd and I started having the same type of problem today. I've found out that wires in the harness are corroded. Backyard Mech knows what he's saying. Go to your local auto store and buy new wires and replace them yourself. It's not a hard fix if you know what to look for. I suggest replacing ALL the wires though, not just the one that's corroded. Could save you money in the long run. For specifics go to http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2001-chevy-cava...
The guy who added this post even put pics up to show what to look for! Hope this helps!
Christina, could you please send me the exact web address link while you are looking at it, the one here does not lead me to the article your talking about with the pics and such. I am having the same issues. On my name just add the at sign and dot where needed to mail me this.. thanks much.
kelownabc

Canada

#76 Nov 28, 2009
2001 Cavalier Z24. I had the full extent of the problem as it progressed over a year from no DRLs and flashing to service light, to no highbeams, then finally last week, no headlights what so ever.
Using the advice in this post I concluded it was corroded connections in the front wiring harness.

1. Remove the covers in th engine and all lights.
2. Remove front left tire, left and right inner fender shields, and unbolt front plastic bumper.(It can be done without this, but its really a lot easier if you remove the bumper, and it doesnt take long.).
3. Remove battery
4. Unbolt windshield fluid tank and lower air intake black plastic tube cluster.(3 points)
5. Remove all bulbs front connectors.
6. Unpin wiring harness at 3 points along inside of front bumper.
7. Hardest part......Just inside radiator wall, almost under the battery tray, just above the upper left rad hose, there is a 10mm bolt holding a ground grouping. Grab a socket and extension and flashlight, and you should be able to get this one out.
8. Reach under the battery tray and pull out main harness connection.
9. Feed the entire harness out. Strip ALL protection. There are 4 main factory splices along the main strip. 2 of which were completed corroded on mine. Check all of them though.
10. I also recommend checking all the branches and individual wires for corroded sections, as I found three wires corroded right through.
11. Replace all bad connections and retape entire harness.
12. Re-install in car and replace all parts.

Took me about 6 hours start to finish, but I did know exactly what to do at first.
jkk

Davenport, IA

#77 Dec 13, 2009
Remove battery and plate unwrap the wraped harness the clean the corrosion off the connection heat shrink and wrap and seal up
Mitch

Sherwood Park, Canada

#78 Dec 31, 2009
Same problem turned out to be headlight out.
Robert

Bellflower, CA

#79 Jan 30, 2010
I went to george cheverloet and they told me to turn the ignition on with the engine off push the gas pedal (5)five times then turn the key off that is suppose to reset the service light,hope it works for you?
Joseph

New Orleans, LA

#80 Feb 9, 2010
Christina wrote:
Although no recall, the 01 Caviler has a well known problem with the body & front headlight harness... Just keep driving, it shall catch fire eventually.. The problem is always first manifested with quirky lights, dash irregularities..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cavalier engine swap/interchange (Mar '07) Jul 26 Chris chriss 217
News Cadillac finally pulls the plug on the Volt-bas... Jul 19 Ray 1
Location of Back Up Lights switch (Nov '06) Jul 19 Ray 10
2002 Cavalier Service, Trac off and ABS lights (Dec '07) Jul 18 Service track ABS... 79
95 Cavalier violent shaking (Jul '08) Jul 17 Austin 8
brake lights stay on when the car is off (Aug '06) Jul 15 Jessie4harrison 143
1994 Cavalier DRL Location Jul 2 ve6mts 1
More from around the web