2002 cavalier - abs and trac off ligh...

2002 cavalier - abs and trac off light on dashboard

Posted in the Chevrolet Cavalier Forum

WLABOB

Springfield, NJ

#1 Dec 6, 2010
Both the ABS and Trac Off lights are lit on the dashboard. What do these mean? Is there an easy fix?
Bill Frown

Elyria, OH

#2 Dec 8, 2010
Assuming you have ABS on the car you likely have a defective wheel speed sensor. Each will set its own code when faulty. Don't know if Autozone can read ABS codes. May have to go to Local repair shop. It will not disable normal braking but anti-skid is not functional!
P-ditty

Elmira, Canada

#3 Dec 28, 2012
Ok so my friend and I just finished fixing this problem on his Cavalier. The real clue was when I several posts suggested the light could be cancelled by restarting the car and then ABS worked until you turned one of the wheels. Its the result of a broken wire in the harness that plugs into the ABS sensor.
Auto parts suppliers sell a replacement harness for about $40.00 and it takes about 20 minutes to replace. How do you know which front side is causing the problem? We put the front of the car on stands and stop/started the engine to cancel the ABS/traction light in the dash. Then with the car running and the transmission in gear so the wheels were turning to simulate driving I lightly tugged first on one harness on one side, and then on the other side until one tug set off the dash lights. The tug simulated moving the steering wheel which seemed to be the cause of setting off the lights.

Anyhow. problem solved.
P-ditty

Elmira, Canada

#4 Dec 28, 2012
I should clarify that the harness in question is the one that leads right out to the control arm and plugs into the sensor at the hub. If your ABS works after starting the car, but the light comes one once you've turned either left or right, change the harness. auto supply stores sell so many of these that they keep them in stock! The sensors, on the other hand, are a rare sale cuz they don't go bad unless you've run a very bad wheel bearing for a while.

cheers
help needed

Algonquin, IL

#5 Jun 19, 2014
Would this also cause probles with the ABS brakes when stopping? I have had problems with the lights coming on and they reset when turn off but now am having some issues when stopping..feels like the ABS brakes are catching as if stopping on wet surface.
P-ditty wrote:
Ok so my friend and I just finished fixing this problem on his Cavalier. The real clue was when I several posts suggested the light could be cancelled by restarting the car and then ABS worked until you turned one of the wheels. Its the result of a broken wire in the harness that plugs into the ABS sensor.
Auto parts suppliers sell a replacement harness for about $40.00 and it takes about 20 minutes to replace. How do you know which front side is causing the problem? We put the front of the car on stands and stop/started the engine to cancel the ABS/traction light in the dash. Then with the car running and the transmission in gear so the wheels were turning to simulate driving I lightly tugged first on one harness on one side, and then on the other side until one tug set off the dash lights. The tug simulated moving the steering wheel which seemed to be the cause of setting off the lights.
Anyhow. problem solved.
help needed

Algonquin, IL

#6 Jun 19, 2014
Would this also cause probles with the ABS brakes when stopping? I have had problems with the lights coming on and they reset when turn off but now am having some issues when stopping..feels like the ABS brakes are catching as if stopping on wet surface.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Cavalier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how do you reset a computer on a cavalier 2001 (Dec '07) Aug 22 Todd katz 7
jp Aug 17 JP Jones 1
Front subframe rust and failure (Aug '10) Aug 17 c2vette 8
cavalier engine swap 2.4 to a 3.1 (Jan '09) Aug 15 Button 33
car temp is hot antifreeze boiling over from th... (May '08) Aug 10 Marie xx 20
2000 2.2 starts sometime but I need it to start... Aug 5 cybor462 1
No brake lights or turn signals on 00 Cavalier (Oct '06) Aug 5 Jacqueline 132
More from around the web