Japan: Chevrolet Camaro Sold Out

Japan: Chevrolet Camaro Sold Out

There are 45 comments on the www.edmunds.com story from Aug 18, 2009, titled Japan: Chevrolet Camaro Sold Out. In it, www.edmunds.com reports that:

The new Chevrolet Camaro has not even gone on sale yet, and already it has sold out in Japan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.edmunds.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#1 Aug 18, 2009
The Japanese love our cars. It's time for the Japanese to stop restricting our ability to sell cars over there.
Mr Staples

Gulfport, MS

#2 Aug 18, 2009
I wonder what it would be like if they had the same rules we do? I bet the Japanese people would be happy.
Aqua Back

Duncannon, PA

#3 Aug 18, 2009
I think the Americans living in Japan are buying them.

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

#4 Aug 18, 2009
Hell Yea
The Japs would be driving Mustang GT's

BUT wait oh yea They have "Protectionism" and cant

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#5 Aug 21, 2009
They are suffering as a result of that.
If GM opened a dealership selling Chevy Camaros in Japan it would be a gold mine.
2003emm3

Bangkok, Thailand

#6 Sep 30, 2009
... all 120 of them ... that's great GM, really good achievemnt.
2003emm3

Bangkok, Thailand

#7 Sep 30, 2009
JJFADS wrote:
The Japanese love our cars. It's time for the Japanese to stop restricting our ability to sell cars over there.
so, as an expert on the Japanese culture, how long have you lived in Japan? Or, do you just repeat what you hear on Faux News or CNN?
Micron234

United States

#8 Oct 1, 2009
2003emm3 wrote:
<quoted text>
so, as an expert on the Japanese culture, how long have you lived in Japan? Or, do you just repeat what you hear on Faux News or CNN?
Are you really that stupid to imply that Japan does not have a protetionist automotive market? Or are you just trying to win the internet moron of the day award?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#9 Oct 14, 2009
Micron234 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you really that stupid to imply that Japan does not have a protetionist automotive market? Or are you just trying to win the internet moron of the day award?
I am simply saying that GM sold 120 of these bastards in Japan... Japan may be a protectionist market, but at the same time, why would any sane Japanese buy a POS like that? A few collectors, but the car is absolutely useless for everyday driving in Japan.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#10 Oct 14, 2009
2003emm3 wrote:
<quoted text>
so, as an expert on the Japanese culture, how long have you lived in Japan? Or, do you just repeat what you hear on Faux News or CNN?
I donít watch CNN. Iíve studied and visited the Orientals many times. Why are you so negative and confrontational? Thanks for participating.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#11 Oct 14, 2009
JJFADS wrote:
<quoted text>I donít watch CNN. Iíve studied and visited the Orientals many times. Why are you so negative and confrontational? Thanks for participating.
Not negative - simply stating a fact. A dinosaur like the Camaro is a) too big for traffic in most Asian cities and b) too wasteful. Last I was in Tokyo a year ago, gas was about $5-6/gallon. Here in Bangkok it is relatively cheap, only about $4/gallon. I never cared much for the price of fuel, but there are those who do. Size and bad fuel economy are the main reasons American cars can never make it in Asia. Over several years living in Bangkok, I saw ONE American car - an antique Corvette.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#12 Oct 14, 2009
Same goes for Europe. A mid-size car like a 5-series BMW is often too big for most medieval cities. On top aof that, $9 gas in the U.K. or $7.50 gas in Germany last year would make you think twice before buying a gasoline-powered V8 hog. You may disagree and think that America knows better, but don't worry. $100 oil is on its way back, gas prices will be back above $4 in the States within a year, and this discussion will be pointless. Most Americans are so poor and so much in debt that they will gladly buy an old Civic or a Sentra just so that they can get to work.
Plant Man

Gulfport, MS

#13 Oct 14, 2009
I had no idea that Thailand had such a respect for the Camaro.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#14 Oct 14, 2009
2003emm3 wrote:
Same goes for Europe. A mid-size car like a 5-series BMW is often too big for most medieval cities. On top aof that,$9 gas in the U.K. or $7.50 gas in Germany last year would make you think twice before buying a gasoline-powered V8 hog. You may disagree and think that America knows better, but don't worry.$100 oil is on its way back, gas prices will be back above $4 in the States within a year, and this discussion will be pointless. Most Americans are so poor and so much in debt that they will gladly buy an old Civic or a Sentra just so that they can get to work.
I thought you said that you we're an American citizen?
five dollar foot long

Addison, IL

#15 Dec 15, 2009
i love my Camaro! My family has owned (and still owns) cars from Japanese (nissan, toyota), German(mercedes), and American brands (ford, Chevy, and Jeep)- some of which are over 10 years old now. The way we see it, all automakers are making reliable products. Cars last, so long as you maintain them well. It seems like it's become a fad to hate on American cars. I always ask: "Do you know from experience, or are you talking out of your ass." I think it's all just personal preference. Personally, I really don't like the way most Japanese and Korean cars look. I feel like they look like they have no personally, totally bland. Either that or it seems like they tend to steal other brands identity (Lexus). But hey, everyone drives what they can/want. Some people like chocolate others like strawberry. Just leave it at that and let it go. Go bitch about something else. Good for you, you drive an import - pat yourself on the back :)

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#16 Dec 15, 2009
five dollar foot long wrote:
i love my Camaro! My family has owned (and still owns) cars from Japanese (nissan, toyota), German(mercedes), and American brands (ford, Chevy, and Jeep)- some of which are over 10 years old now. The way we see it, all automakers are making reliable products. Cars last, so long as you maintain them well. It seems like it's become a fad to hate on American cars. I always ask: "Do you know from experience, or are you talking out of your ass." I think it's all just personal preference. Personally, I really don't like the way most Japanese and Korean cars look. I feel like they look like they have no personally, totally bland. Either that or it seems like they tend to steal other brands identity (Lexus). But hey, everyone drives what they can/want. Some people like chocolate others like strawberry. Just leave it at that and let it go. Go bitch about something else. Good for you, you drive an import - pat yourself on the back :)
"Import" is a relative thing for me. We live in Thailand part of the year, and Bavaria for most of the rest. Only spend a few weeks/months a year in the States, but even there I would not touch an American car with a ten foot pole. It is no fad, just experience.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#17 Dec 15, 2009
I like the Camaro too.
Downunder

Balaclava, Australia

#18 Dec 15, 2009
Yes the Japanese people have bought 170 of them.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#19 Dec 15, 2009
Good news!

Where do they park them?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#20 Jan 20, 2010
I finally saw one of these things when I was in the States in December. Parked next to it. Cheap interior (typical of an American car, no surprise here), surprisingly ugly design of the instrument cluster though. The shocking thing was finding how small the brake rotors are on this car. 420 HP and the brakes are no bigger than my old Civic EX used to have! That means one thing: this car does not know how to stop. Cheap.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Camaro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GM Laying Off Over 2,000 At 2 Car Plants As Sal... Jan '17 Trump 4
News Continue Reading (Dec '15) Dec '15 terrain custom 1
News GM pension plan deficits drop slightly, still f... (Jun '15) Jun '15 how does that happen 1
News Exclusive! We Have Performance Numbers on the 2... (Apr '15) Apr '15 JewHunter 1
News Papa John's founder finds long lost Camaro. (Aug '09) Oct '14 Jethro 2
News GM's bold platform plan aims to reduce complexi... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Solarman 1
News GM to build stamping plant for Lansing Grand Ri... (Aug '14) Aug '14 ARMOR LOCK 1
More from around the web