Gas Gauge Malfunction

Nokesville, VA

#61 Nov 8, 2011
I have a 2002 Chevy 1500 truck with 168,000 miles and the gas gauge has started to do crazy things with the low on fuel light coming on all the time. Even with a full tank the problem continues. I have been told that this problem is caused by the float in the gas tank having come loose from its mounting in the tank. It appears to have not been bolted in place but GM used some form of adhesive to hold it in place and this has lost its ability to keep the unit in place so it can work properly. The tank has to be dropped, the fuel pump removed and the float system reattached to the gas tank. Chevy should have a recall on this poorly engineered system that is causing this type of problem. We did not have this problem with older vehicles when the unit was bolted in place within the tank.

Columbia, TN

#62 Nov 12, 2011
I have a 2007 Trailblazer with only 44000 miles and the gas gage goes to empty while running. What's that about American made?
robert jones

Davenport, FL

#63 Dec 6, 2011
chevy venture 2002 fuel guage stuck on quarter with odd time movement any ideas
Carol and john

United States

#64 Dec 29, 2011
Pat wrote:
I jus bought a 2001 chevy blazer and I've noticed that the fuel guage always messes with me as I had to slam on brakes for the first time, and the car made a loud noise, and I assume that it was just downshifting...but I've never driven a car that made that kind of noise before when I slam on brakes..afterward when I pushed the gas petal it felt a little stiff, and as if I broke something lol.. I dont know what to do about the gas guage, I've heard that if it says that it's empty it's possible for the car to act as if you dont have any gas in it and not start up for u.. this might be common for some of you guys, but this is one creepy car for me.. rear hatch doesnt work..or I dont know how to open it..
hi, no, I think you know how to open the hatch, it's just messed up, just like my 2002 blazer, the power locks don't work, and the gas gadge doesn't work right when it gets below a half tank. Seems to be common in the trucks. I'm trying to figure out how to fix te problem my self, with out having to take it in to a shop.
Charlie from West by GOD

Winchester, VA

#65 Jan 4, 2012
Dan wrote:
Have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, wife ran out of gas and gauge has not worked right since, it bounces around and light comes on even when tank is full, any suggestions, no I will not get a new wife lol
thanks for any help at all
1999 S10 Gas gauge was fine even after a fuel pump replacement,. However I began keeping my tank full and even at almost empty the gauge shows full,.. But as others I just watch the odometer and work it from there .... Oh Yea much cheaper to keep'er
Chevy Girl

Fayetteville, NC

#66 Jan 7, 2012
My 99 s10 trucks gas guage jumps from full to empty all the time. Its annnoying cuz I have to play a guessing game and she sits on 43s.. I can get about 120 miles on a tank on long trips if traffic is good and in town depends on traffic and how hard I drive her.. My brothers 01 silverado does the same thing.. It should be free for chevy to fix their fuck up. Funny thing is my 89 s10 blazers only problem is sometimes when I use my turn signal the wipers will go one time..

United States

#67 Jan 18, 2012
95 s10 fuel gauge acts like the ground is bad goes to empty when you turn the key on bit as soon as you start it goes to half past full tried another sending unit and cluster same thing any ideas
savion richardson

United States

#68 Feb 22, 2012
Dan wrote:
Have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, wife ran out of gas and gauge has not worked right since, it bounces around and light comes on even when tank is full, any suggestions, no I will not get a new wife lol
thanks for any help at all
i have a 87 an mines da same when i ran out of gas it has not worked

Gloversville, NY

#69 May 11, 2012
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer, gas gauge only works when tank is full, rear window wipers hasn;t worked for at least 5 yrs. The other day it was pouring rain and my car would not start, cried, yelled made phone calls, prayed 15 minutes later it started up beautifully, 4 days later today does not want to turn over AAAAARGH... Any ideas??? would appreciate any info... Thanks Angela

Fall River, MA

#70 Jun 16, 2012
I just bought a 2000 blazer how much would it cost to change the floaterr

Saint Louis, MO

#71 Jul 11, 2012
Is anyone who knows about this just glad to see people spending money on stuff they don't need. GM has a replacement harness and wiper arm for the fuel level resistance grid (the wiper arm is the real culprit). I don't know the part number.
Richard C

Ottawa, Canada

#72 Aug 4, 2012
I have a 2004 4x4 Blazer and today I went to fill-up my gas tank and I could not pump any more than 1-2 liters, less than 1/2 gallon of fuel when it started overflowing. I am told that the fuel ventilation system is probably clogged up. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so could you help me out on how to go about fixing it. Any help from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Blake Miller

Hitchita, OK

#73 Aug 27, 2012
I have a 2001 chevy blazer and i bought it used.. My fuel gauge is stuck on full unless it's shut off then it moves down to a half of a tank. or if hit the gas while the car is shut off it goes to empty.. Any ideas what this might be?

United States

#74 Aug 27, 2012
well as far as i can tell mine goes from full to half and back to fulll before it runs out im told its the sending unit in the tank, about $300
as for broken passenger seat lever i got a $1 pair of vise grips on the shaft

Riverton, NJ

#75 Oct 2, 2012
You can fix it yourself. Buy a corvette.

Fredericton, Canada

#76 Feb 12, 2013
m1kark4ng3l wrote:
i have a blazer where the fuel pump works but the car wont start
Try turning the key ahead but don't turn engine over wait for the security light to stop flashing ( may be 10 min ),turn key off count to 8 try starting.

United States

#77 Feb 22, 2013
My parents bought me a 2000 blazer. The fuel gauge is messed up, it will stay on full until about halfway thru the tank, then it will drop to e, gas light will come on then after a few seconds then it'll. Jump back to full. When I'm really on e the meter willdrop back to e and the gas light will go on for about 30 miles, til the engine stops. And the service engine soon light has been there since they bought it, sometimes it'll just be there, other times it'll flash.

Rides very well tho. I hope nothings wrong with it

Cincinnati, OH

#78 Mar 15, 2013
I have a 2000 blazer only 86k I got used and my gas gage is floating too I can't stand it could someone give me a solid solution to the problem..
Heather B

Mansfield, OH

#79 May 19, 2013
We have a 2004 Chevy blazer 4x4 replaced everything to do with the fuel system. Had some tranny problems and after the tranny was replaced the gas gauge stopped working. Cannot figure out why? Wires are fine everything in tank is fine have any ideas please let me know. Thanks
old toyz57

Valley Stream, NY

#80 Dec 19, 2013
I have a 1999 chevy s10 step side pickup the gas gauge reads full then it jumps to empty anybody have any idears

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Blazer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
96 blazer overheated 44 min MicheleLeigh 1
News Blazer Electric Rear Hatch Will not Open (Sep '06) 5 hr Todd 61
1998 blazer interior heat Sep 26 Steve Stuelke 1
97 Chevy Blazer Will Not Start (Nov '06) Sep 26 mike 189
1998 Chevy Blazer 4 wheel drive and right front Sep 22 Crystal 1
1996 blazer ls 4.3l no start Sep 12 cndz 2
Desperately Seeking Advice Sep 12 farrah 1
More from around the web