aveo better performance advice

Posted in the Chevrolet Aveo* Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tony565565

Elgin, AZ

#1 Dec 27, 2008
rule number one,copper plugs only. never use platinum spark plugs in a aveo. only use champion part #71 or autolite part#3923.the aveo will get 40mpg, you will beat every stock honda civic you get next to at the light from 103 to 130hp (GAURANTEED),also be sure to pump tires between 30 and 32 psi at night only. buy a k&n washable air filter and wash it each oil change. change spark plugs every few oil changes. gap plugs to .44
pablo

Canada

#2 Jan 13, 2009
tony565565 wrote:
rule number one,copper plugs only. never use platinum spark plugs in a aveo. only use champion part #71 or autolite part#3923.the aveo will get 40mpg, you will beat every stock honda civic you get next to at the light from 103 to 130hp (GAURANTEED),also be sure to pump tires between 30 and 32 psi at night only. buy a k&n washable air filter and wash it each oil change. change spark plugs every few oil changes. gap plugs to .44
Seek Mental help
Robot B9

United States

#3 Feb 25, 2009
Surely you can not be serious Prof Hawking! Going from 103 to 130 hp with only a plug change? Unbelievable!
pablo

Canada

#4 Mar 10, 2009
whats wrong w/u. ya ya just change the headlight fliud, and you will gain 34.25hp
Daryl1

Memphis, TN

#5 Apr 4, 2009
2009 Aveo, how do you get the spark plugs? I put 185/70-14 tires on the car, they are 6.2% larger in circumference, picked up 1 to 1.5 mpg in town, 0 on the road, I think the in town was because the engine does not contribute to slowing down the car as much when I take my foot off the gas. It drives and handles WAY better. B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A 185/70-14. Just put AMSOIL in it today, getting 30.5 to 31.5 in town (not a lot of stop and go for me), only 34-34.5 on the road.
Thank you
Harold

Charlotte, NC

#6 Sep 6, 2009
Where is a good site to find parts for an 05 aveo?
AveoRacing

United States

#7 Sep 15, 2009
Other than common parts for your car that you can find at Kragen's or Autozone, then ebay.

Also, that guy that did the original post is nuts! 27hp from plugs?? No 30-32psi on your tires. Your door sticker says 30psi, so put it at 30psi. Dork!

Since: Sep 09

Ottawa, Canada

#8 Sep 18, 2009
Sorry to be the severed finger in this bowl of nut soup, but that's not what he meant.

"you will beat every stock honda civic you get next to at the light from 103 to 130hp"

it's obvious he means you can beat and honda civic which has between 103 and 130hp. not to say that i agree with the claim, but you geniuses grossly misread his post.

now
I agree that more expensive platinum or iridium sparkplugs are not going to get you anything extra with an engine like this.

overpumping the tires slightly may cause a little more wear down the centre of the tire, but you will save massively at the pump, and generally speaking you are more likely to have under-inflated than over-inflated tires. a cold tire pressure of 37 psi or so is perfect if you drive alone. btw the sticker on my car recommends 33 psi when driving alone.

a K&N washable filter will work great if you wash it, and save the average idiot a LOT of money at the dealership (see http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-av... )

changing spark plugs every 2 oil changes can be excessive. yes, copper plugs wear out a lot quicker, but changing them once every year at the most should be enough.

I have one point to add myself. Use full synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1, 5w30 if you live in a cold area, or 10w30 otherwise, and change it about once a year, twice if you rape your car daily in a dirt environment (see: major cities)

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#9 Sep 25, 2009
pablo wrote:
<quoted text> Seek Mental help
Pablo confine your stupidity to yourself. We have enough goofs in this world.
Mike

Keyport, NJ

#10 Sep 29, 2009
screw K&N I pet a AEM cold air intake in my 04 and its crazy. The sound from the engine compartment is great and it goes faster to.
pablo

Surrey, Canada

#11 Oct 5, 2009
Garry K wrote:
<quoted text>
Pablo confine your stupidity to yourself. We have enough goofs in this world.
What are you going to do about it tough guy
Seattle to LA

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Oct 5, 2009
So, back to the original post. .... I have changed my plugs to the copper Autolite plugs and my mileage went from 17mpg to about 22mpg. This is based on 3 fill ups since changing the plugs.
Harold

Charlotte, NC

#13 Oct 17, 2009
choclat_shotgun wrote:
I have one point to add myself. Use full synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1, 5w30 if you live in a cold area, or 10w30 otherwise, and change it about once a year, twice if you rape your car daily in a dirt environment (see: major cities)
Isn't oil changes every 3 months to 3,000 miles? Or have I been asleep the last 2 years!
Harold

Charlotte, NC

#14 Oct 17, 2009
Excuse me, Synthetic's I think are in the ballpark of 6,000-7,000 miles!
Tony565565

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Sep 25, 2010
If you tried my advice above with no success, try the NGK (bcp6es) copper plugs, If you insist on using platinum plugs, i tried a denso plug. Its a denso (pq16TT) TT means titanium tip. there like $9 a piece on amazon. i got good MPG but car was slower because the O2 sensor cutsback on gas when it detects that much heat. These titanium tips are a little like the split fire platinum classics. Hey anything is better then using BOSCH or acdelco.
poor guy

Toronto, Canada

#16 Aug 9, 2011
just did this job on 2009 aveo grab the plastic engine cover on right side and pull up this will expose coil pack, unplug coil pack on right side it has a retaining clip which must be removed first then remove two allen bolts on coil pack, lift coil pack straight up which now exposes the spark plugs, remove old plugs put anti seize on new plugs, gap is .044 torque plugs to 18 ft lbs reinstall coil pack put allen bolts back in, plug coil pack in with retaining clip, snap plastic cover back on,you're done very easy job 20mins start to finish, by the way same engine in 2009and up g3 and suzuki swift so same instructions apply.
Aveo owner

Fargo, ND

#17 Sep 24, 2012
thanks for all the advice, but don't you guys have anything better to do but male posturing? by the way changing the plugs took me 15 minutes and I am a girl.
Aveo Geek

Lewisville, TX

#18 Sep 28, 2012
I have had my 09 4dr aveo for 2 yrs. when i had stock tires i ran them @ 44 psi. Rides a little stiffer and yes does wear a little on the tires but it hanles alot better. Now i have 195 45 16's @ 45 psi and it really drives better. although i can more so tell that i need to replace my lower control arms due to worn out bushings. nervos radle noise coming from the front end. also lowering springs will help too. strut tower brace, control arm brace and K member brace should really improve my ride as well.
Sekmor

Issaquah, WA

#19 Feb 26, 2013
Aveo owner wrote:
thanks for all the advice, but don't you guys have anything better to do but male posturing? by the way changing the plugs took me 15 minutes and I am a girl.
LOL Was just thinking the same thing!

ANd yes the K&N will help it breath better. Combined with a plug that has an all copper core you could indeed see greatly improved has mileage. And yes, unless you drive like a squid you shouldn't need to change them more than once every 10-12k miles.
aveo5

Chicago, IL

#20 Oct 1, 2014
The aveo5 has a paper type of oil filter and oil will break down this filter in time. I would recommend not going over 4000-5000 between oil changes. Check your owners manual for the right mileage. I do mine every 3000. The oil in your car is the life of your car. Change it often

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Aveo* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aveo Exterior Door Lock Question. Please Help! (Sep '08) Apr 12 david 85
2010 Aveo Coolant Circulation Issues - Overheating (Sep '14) Apr 11 Brittney 20
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) Apr 6 Andrew Starks 540
2006 Aveo will not start - Not starter itself (Jul '11) Mar 29 Robert 9
2011 Aveo Problems (Jan '12) Mar 28 emily89 38
Tire monitoring system 2009 aveo Mar 20 Jim 1
Intermittent random Problem - Help please Mar '18 Wimsey 2