chevy aveo won't turn over
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
misty

Newport, MI

#1 Jul 17, 2013
Hey, does anyone have any ideas....So i have a 2008 aveo, sometimes it will start just fine, other time it will not turn over at all. When I turn the key, the dash lights will come on then nothing, no sound or anything. eventually it has always started up, but it's really annoying, and i'm starting to worry about getting stranded somewhere.
GM Customer Care

Sterling Heights, MI

#2 Jul 31, 2013
Have you had any luck getting this resolved since you posted, misty? Let us know if you need any assistance locating and/or working with a GM service center to get this checked into. We can be reached via email at [email protected]

Sarah
GM Customer Care
Charlie

Voorhees, NJ

#3 Aug 6, 2013
Spend big bucks at GM Dealer or go to a trusted local professional and have them test the ignitions switch, neutral safety switch and starter. Also have him test the battery and cables, and connections at battery.
misty wrote:
Hey, does anyone have any ideas....So i have a 2008 aveo, sometimes it will start just fine, other time it will not turn over at all. When I turn the key, the dash lights will come on then nothing, no sound or anything. eventually it has always started up, but it's really annoying, and i'm starting to worry about getting stranded somewhere.
Trinka

Lexington, SC

#4 Nov 26, 2013
My 2009 Aveo5 just did the same thing to my husband. Not the battery. Just won't do anything. Did you get this resolved Misty?
Philip

Williamsburg, VA

#5 Jan 17, 2014
My 2009 Aveo has been doing the exact same thing. I turn the key, lights, radio and everything comes on but the car will not crank. It occurs when the car sits overnight but is Totally random, sometimes if I wait 10-20 minutes it will crank up. I've taken in to the dealer and left it with them for 8 days and according to the dealer it started everyday. Only to have me pick it up and the next day it wouldn't start. Any ideas.
Allen

Broadview Heights, OH

#6 Apr 29, 2014
My 2009 Aveo does exactly the same thing! It happens absolutely randomly. The lights ,radio wipers come on and the shift lever will unlock. I can say it starts every time after just sitting for about five minutes. It has never left me stranded. I have been to 3 dealers. At one dealer the problem presented itself. The service manager said since no code appeared on the cars computer he could not diagnose it. Two other dealers replaced interlocks and safety switches, but the problem presented again later and randomly.
Amber

Ottawa, Canada

#8 May 1, 2014
I have an a 2004 Aveo and I've been having the same problem for the past couple weeks, now it will not start at all, had battery replaced and did nothing. I've been to a GM dealer, which has been futile. I really do not know what to do. Please help!
tatiana

Chicago, IL

#9 Jun 6, 2014
Mines ifs happening right now, and it won't turn over at all, tune to get out if this
Derrick

Miami, FL

#10 Jun 21, 2014
My mom's 2006 Aveo does not crank. When she called me for assistance she convinced me it was just the battery. We purchased a new batter and after installing the new battery the problem still existed. I checked all the fusses and they are OK. We had it towed to a certified mechanic who diagnosed the problem and said it was the computer. He said only the dealership can resolve this issue. Does this sound strange to anyone else?
Christopher C

Portland, OR

#11 Jun 30, 2014
Derrick wrote:
My mom's 2006 Aveo does not crank. When she called me for assistance she convinced me it was just the battery. We purchased a new batter and after installing the new battery the problem still existed. I checked all the fusses and they are OK. We had it towed to a certified mechanic who diagnosed the problem and said it was the computer. He said only the dealership can resolve this issue. Does this sound strange to anyone else?
My 2009 Aveo wouldn't start this afternoon. No power, no turn over...nothing. Tried to jump it, but didnt help. Nothing happens when I turn the key.

Sounds like a similar issue....do you get it resolved?
Allen

Broadview Heights, OH

#13 Jul 18, 2014
A local mechanic told me that if the negative cable is not attached with a "gap" or is even slightly loose, this problem will occur. He reattached my ground on 7/16/14. We will see if it happens to me again.
William popow

Lacombe, Canada

#14 Sep 9, 2014
Christopher C wrote:
<quoted text>
My 2009 Aveo wouldn't start this afternoon. No power, no turn over...nothing. Tried to jump it, but didnt help. Nothing happens when I turn the key.
Sounds like a similar issue....do you get it resolved?
It's the nuteral safety switch this happened to me the nuteral safety switch is what tells your car the clutch is pressed all the way in
mkhalimm

Pretoria, South Africa

#15 Oct 15, 2014
My Chev Aveo 2005 is not startin even if the deshboard is on, please assist don't know what to do now.

Mzwandile
Norma

Michigan City, IN

#16 Nov 15, 2014
My son bought his 2011 two years ago, it ran fine until last year, and he was having same problem. He had battery replaced three times in Texas. Now it is left with me in Indiana, I have took it to my reliable mechanic that works on my family vehicles. He replaced battery, because he told me it had a drained cell. Two days later we had to have it jumped, took it back to him, said battery was fully charged and could find and problem with charging systems, and of course it started every time for him. It runs fine once started, but 90 % of the time it has to be jumped to get it started. Glad i'm not the only one with this problem, but the question is, did anyone get it solved? please help
pipatty

Essex, MD

#17 Nov 19, 2014
same problem with 2009 aveo, today went out and radio won't work stopped to get gas ans car wouldn't stop running even with the key out of ignition, got home still wouldn't stop running left and went in the house came back out 10 minutes later car had stop running. When neighbor who is mechanic came home car wouldn't start at all. No, turn over tried to jump it still nothing.
jrob53

Pittston, PA

#18 Dec 5, 2014
My mother-inlaw has a 2009 aveo and every December the battery has to be replaced. I guess Chevy way of saying Merry Christmas. Had it to dealer and they replaced it under warranty several times but last year they said this is the last since the warranty expired. Guess what happened today Merry Christmas from Chevrolet. The original dealer it was purchased from blamed it on her not driving enough and the battery going bad from that. This year it was driven much more and still happened. They told us the one time the battery went dead because the car needed a software update. How the battery knew this I don't know. IT seems like a lot of people have this issue and there has been no resolution or remedy from Chevy.
Allen

Broadview Heights, OH

#19 Dec 5, 2014
Allen wrote:
A local mechanic told me that if the negative cable is not attached with a "gap" or is even slightly loose, this problem will occur. He reattached my ground on 7/16/14. We will see if it happens to me again.
It happened again. I can't believe GM can't diagnose this. The car always starts after about 5 minutes--no rhyme or reason
Roland Castillo

Sacramento, CA

#20 Dec 30, 2014
I have a 2010 Chevy Aveo LT. Driving fine. Started up fine. Went to the auto parts. Engine wouldn't
Shut off with ignition in off position. Got home. Still running with ignition off. Finally pulled main power relay. Engine shut off. Now it won't start. Everything lights up, but it won't start. Also lost power to cigarette lighters. Radio goes on. Everything is fine, but won't start.
Cionx34

Clinton Township, MI

#21 May 12, 2015
misty wrote:

It's the ignition harness just fixed mine and it's like brand new trust me. It's not the timing chain. It's not the pcm. Simply ignition wiring
neron

Riverside, CA

#22 Jun 3, 2015
Derrick wrote:
Hello everyone.... is not your battery is not your computer, the problem is your shifter so after the shifter has been moved to the park position, it suppose to go left almost as if it was pulled by a spring, give it a try manually pulled the shifter agaist your right leg and then try to started up... it might or might not start at fist try, but I can assure you the you are not going to purchase anymore battery's or useless computers....
I undertand that required some type of selenoide to make the shiter work properly (I just don't know which one is it)

Thanx for the opportunity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Aveo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 Aveo Engine Valve Problem (Jul '07) Wed Tonya 156
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) Apr 20 Roy 450
Oil in coolant reservoir (Aug '15) Apr 16 GRAFIXMASTER 6
2011 Aveo Problems (Jan '12) Apr 16 higgy270 31
oil in coolant Apr 16 Jewlz3124 2
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Apr 15 Joe 483
2010 Aveo Coolant Circulation Issues - Overheating (Sep '14) Apr 13 Tarsha 10
More from around the web