Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 16, 2014
kathleen

Sudbury, Canada

#1 Dec 26, 2010
Just had a used engine put in my aveo as the timing belt went and damaged engine. I have had the car back for one day and the yellow engine light came on and is flashing. Is a flashing engine light more serious than a solid engine light on a chevrolet?
Alice

Peterborough, Canada

#2 Jul 27, 2011
We also had our engine replaced with a brand new engine in our 04 Aveo--flashing engine light also appeared--we've had our mechanic check it 3 times and he can find nothing wrong suggesting that it may that the new engine does not 'fit' with the old sensor...he also said that the solid light means whatever problem there is would have happened prior, and when it is flashing the problem is current. Hope this helps.
sam

Raleigh, NC

#3 Jul 10, 2012
I too have had the engine replaced and have a check engine lamp flashing at Above 45MPH or under load. P0300 is the code - mine is a manual transmission. I have had to the dealer twice to have the crankshaft relearn done. did not fix it. They found cylinders # 1 and 4 had identical missfire counts. Checked timing, compression,new plugs, wires, coil, camshaft sensor and still has check engine lamp flashing. I cannot find the solution. 04 Aveo with newer model engine.....
starmike

Arouca, Trinidad and Tobago

#4 Aug 1, 2012
check my last post
hope it helps ..
and maybe i will start taking donations..

Since: Jan 13

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Jan 7, 2013
Hi guys, did anyone find out whats the cause of the flashing light? I'm having the same problem
danielle

Euless, TX

#6 Feb 10, 2013
I have the exact same problem got my engine rebuilt in my 04 aveo..now the check engine light comes on flashing if it goes over 2 rpms. Very shaky and kicks-putters-wants to go while stopped and going. Its crazy. Please someone help me know what's wrong with it. I've been to autozone they say code is TCM ECM. transmission control module and ecm is something with the computer.
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#7 Feb 11, 2013
whynot81 wrote:
Hi guys, did anyone find out whats the cause of the flashing light? I'm having the same problem
The first thing i would do is remove the cover on the left side of the engine to see / inspect the "Timing Belt" with a flash light for fraying etc. Note* The timing belt cover (top) is black and behind the serpentine belt.
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#8 Feb 11, 2013
next I would see what the codes are with a scanner. get your neighbor to check it or drive it to Auto Zone, Advance Auto and write the codes down on paper. The auto store guy should be able to tell you what the codes mean vaguely. As soon as you go home, get back on the internet to look up those codes and or to research other web sites to research. I will tell you that the "Aveo Forum" is an excellent site with 1,000's more articles / blogs then here. Familiarize yourself with the site under "General Discussions" and in-put your question there. You should be able to find what you want without asking any questions because the story is all the same problems.

Me? 149,000 miles 2005 Chevy Aveo.
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#9 Feb 11, 2013
My 2005 chevy aveo had both a "Service Eng Light and a Flashing HOLD Light". The Transmission will always default to this and make the transmission run only in 3rd gear. If the engine is running sluggish and not creating enough power then it will go to this mode. The Hold light is also known as the "Limp Mode". Lots of things will cause this from faulty plugs, plug wires, faulty coil pack etc.. For me, the scan code was #0107. It ended up being a $80 "Map Sensor" that i replaced in 2 minutes. The map sensor is on the top right side of the engine, the size of a black zippo lighter and has one bolt holding it. It has an electrical cable going to it.
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#10 Feb 11, 2013
RockAuto has the cheapest prices on Aveo parts Ive ever seen. A MAP Sensor from them is only $42 and a Coil Pack is only $60. Sure Ive replaced some parts unnecessarily but then again, I didnt pay a mechanic $300 for something that only costs $42 that only took 2 min to replace. Auto Zone wanted $80 for the map sensor. Its a great site but you MUST familiarize yourself with the site first. I do know that the "Complete timing kit" with the tentioner pulleys, belt & water pump is only $122 vs Auto Zone at $174.

Since: Feb 13

Bremen, IN

#11 Feb 11, 2013
whynot81 wrote:
Whats the car actually doing??

Since: Feb 13

Bremen, IN

#12 Feb 11, 2013
For what ever its worth and if you dont have a scanner, simply disconnect Neg side of battery for 10 min and then after 10 min, reconnect Neg battery cable back up and make sure all accessories are off like the blower, radio etc.. This should wipe out the ECM computer so that you can further diagnose the problem. The Eng light may come back on 25 miles later or it might not. If you dont have a scanner then go to the auto store for a free scan to see what codes come up and seek the advice of the auto sales person. I would replace the map sensor right off the bat.
amanda

Danville, KY

#14 Oct 12, 2013
Its the crankshaft relearn procedure. You have to take it to a dealer bc my auto guy in town said he did the procedure 3 times and it didn't work. After spening 2500 dollars on a used engine and labor I took it to a chevy dealer spent 150 dollars and it was fixed with the relearn procedure. Once the new engine was put in, after my timing belt slipped at 59, 000 miles, it would not go above 40 miles per hour. My car was in the shop for over a month and all it took was the relearning procedure. It is a computer procedure where the service worker has to drive the car with the computer plugged in and teach it how to drive again. Pretty crazy but its true and it worked for me. A month of research and I finally shut the private auto worker and their crazy ideas down and took it to the chevy dealer. The auto worker was about to take it to his buddy at the transmission shop...what a waste of time
lori

Dayton, OH

#15 May 2, 2014
2010 chevy aveo hatchback-check engine light is on again-what's wrong with this car?
richard S

San Francisco, CA

#16 Jul 15, 2014
Post #14 saved my life and the life of our car....when you replace an Aveo engine with a used engine....have the computer reprogrammed immediately, or you will have weeks of grief with your mechanic not being able to fix a car that is running perfectly, but the check engine light is flashing....thank you aveo forum...twice I have gotten accurate information from these posts.

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#17 Jul 16, 2014
I have a 2004 chevy aveo, will crank but will stall out, if it doesn't cut off the rpm will go up an down and stutter, i hear the fuel pump cut on, spark plugs are new, put fuel injection cleaner in it worked for about a day and decided it didn't want to crank again..... Been sitting a couple days, tried to cut it on an it cranked, rpm stayed in one spot but the car still sputters???? any idea of what it could be?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Aveo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
09 Chevy aveo won't start (Feb '13) Aug 29 Irfan 12
Chevorlet Aveo 2009 Not starting Aug 29 Irfan 1
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) Aug 25 I love my blue aveo 336
Chevy Aveo 2007 Aug 25 GM Customer Service 2
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Aug 23 Jay 441
04 aveo engine shut down wont start. (Aug '09) Aug 23 Ian 27
GM recalling 1,968 cars for braking defect Aug 14 laura ryals 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Chevrolet Aveo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••