Don Pattison

Lansing, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

I went to open the back hatch and it wouldn't open. You can't get the key to turn nor does the remote open the hatch. I took a quick peak through the back seat to see if it has the emergency trunk opener but it didn't appear to have one. Has anyone else had this problem?
mcthumber

Harvard, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

I recall reading on one of the Aveo discussion pages (maybe this one, but I can't find it) about a rod that becomes disconnected from the latch mechanism. You have to take the inside panel off to access the mechanism & re-attach the rod. I also recall a fix with a tie wrap so it can't happen again.

I'll keep looking for that post with the fix and post here when I find it.
Craig Farhood

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2009

Thanks for the post and suggestion - it just happened to me today. I'll open up the panel tomorrow and see if that's the case... and save myself some $$!
Craig Farhood

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

Yes, that was exactly the problem. Taking off the panel simply involved removing two screws by the inside handle (ie. what you grab on the inside when you go to close the hatch) and popping the fastener plugs by pushing on the center of each.
STILLSMILLING

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Don Pattison wrote:
I went to open the back hatch and it wouldn't open. You can't get the key to turn nor does the remote open the hatch. I took a quick peak through the back seat to see if it has the emergency trunk opener but it didn't appear to have one. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have been fighting this problem on my 2006 Aveo Hatchback for awhile now....I'm on my 11th trip to the dealer to have it 'fixed'. They can't find how to fix this...they just keep hooking it back up only to fail again...in 2 hours, 2 days, 2 months....
I am SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated with this!
jcoulter

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2011

This is the third time I've had this problem. I'm going to try to fix it myself this time
gerald

Collierville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2011

Don Pattison wrote:
pull down backseat; on driver side look for handle mechanism; probably what has happened, is latching mechanism lost its keeper. the little shaft comes out, and key cant operate the release latch on back hatch.
bobw

Frederick, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2011

jcoulter wrote:
This is the third time I've had this problem. I'm going to try to fix it myself this time
i had the same problem. replced the plastic clip and no problem since.. part at dealer $11.76 +tax auto body supply 17cents ?????
Tiffany

Bullhead City, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2011

Craig Farhood wrote:
Yes, that was exactly the problem. Taking off the panel simply involved removing two screws by the inside handle (ie. what you grab on the inside when you go to close the hatch) and popping the fastener plugs by pushing on the center of each.
once i figured out how to open the hatch from the inside taking off the panel was super easy thanks to your instruction
one small problem

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2011

exactly where is the release from the inside? Is it the little silver piece on the driver side of the inside of the latch opening. It appears to be a flat surface that you should be able to push as a release, but mine might just be stuck. So it that it?

Everything else so far is making perfect sense, just can't get that release to work.... if that is the release.... Help!!! Thanks!!!

Since: Feb 10

Gardner, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

It took a while but I finally found the fix--

"My latch on my 2006 aveo5 quit working and since the dealer wanted $100 just to look at it, I decieded to tear into it and see if I could save some bucks.

I had to let down the back seat and down where the inside latch is, there is a trip button to release the latch which I did.

After opening I push in the plastic panel interior pins and pulled them out of the interior panel and unscewed 2 panel screws by the handle pocket and removed the panel (5min).

The handle on the outside is supposed to be connected to the rod which when pulled, moves the rod down which pulls ever so lightly accross to the the release latch. The rod had poped out out of the handle retaining hole. You could operate the latch easly by pulling the rod that runs across to the the hatch latch so I knew that part was OK.

The rod would not stay in the handle and I am sure this bad design will show up with other Aveo owners.

The fix is to put the rod back into the connector and plug into the handle hole. then zip tie the connector to the handle arm and since the zip might try and slide off go ahead coat the entire connection lightly with shoe-goo or silicone and put the door back together (5min) and this should last as mine has lasted fine ever since.

You can razor cut the zip tie and silicone if you ever need to remove the handle."

This came from another Aveo chat site.
Morgan

Brownstown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

I have a 2005 Chevy aveo and cannot get the trunk open for anything! I've looked for a button in the glove department and beside the driver side door, there is no button to be found! It has a lock on the trunk but I've tried unlocking it and it just doesn't seem to want to come open, it makes a lock noise but doesn't open... What do I do?
ororama

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

got same problem,backdoor open won't even with the key,so i tie a wire to that lever so that when u pulled the wire , the metal side tongue(don't know the name)will hit the protruding side pin on the latch door mechanism and unlock the plasticlock but u have to keep holding the wire to open the door. this mechanism is located @ the back , put down the passenger back seat, and on the body bottom lock mechanism, u can push that lever to unlock but u have to keep pushing to open but for me i i tied a wire. this is just a temporary solution,maybe i'll open the handle on summetime, it's so cold out here to work outside.
Sam

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jul 30

bobw wrote:
<quoted text> i had the same problem. replced the plastic clip and no problem since.. part at dealer $11.76 +tax auto body supply 17cents ?????
. Yes same here but the dealer charged $150 in labor to "fix" it. Wish I knew better.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Chevrolet Aveo Forum right now

Search the Chevrolet Aveo Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) Thu newstyles 321
Aveo running hot Jul 28 Tracy 5054 2
owner repair manual Jul 28 Tracy 5054 2
04 aveo engine shut down wont start. (Aug '09) Jul 24 T from Dallas 26
Timing belt catastrophe (Oct '07) Jul 23 bob 152
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Jul 22 07 mountianeer 440
2011 Aveo Problems (Jan '12) Jul 21 Maybelle 20
•••

Buy a New Car