AVEO computer "freezes"
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Canadian chic

Ottawa, Canada

#1 Feb 12, 2007
Hi
My elderly parents bought an AVEO...and the computer died on a 4 lane highway in traffic during a somewhat "cold" day here in Canada....
They were very lucky to be able to coast across a couple of lanes to the side of the road. The dealer went above and beyond to help them till GM's roadside assistance showed up (an hour after the call). But the computer is on backorder.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Canadian guy

Montréal, Canada

#2 Feb 19, 2007
Hi... yeah I experienced this problem... in fact, it was a cold winter night (-25 celcius) and I started the car. The check engine light came up... and I was unable to drive over 40km/h in third gear... first gear shift at 10 km/h, second at 25km/h and the maximum was at 40km/h

The dealership has replaced the computer... The wave of my friend did the same thing...
Brent

Ottawa, Canada

#3 Dec 4, 2007
This just happened to my wife's 2007 Aveo. Cold night (-15C), car started rough, check engine light came on, and car would not drive above 40km/h. Towed to dealer by GM Roadside. Dealer reprogrammed the computer, and everything seems OK now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Scary thing was; since the car had not had a chance to warm up before we called Roadside, I decided to check the dipstick, and there and was a lot more white condensation emulsion than I am used to seeing! Hope this does not become a problem. May have to change to oil more frequently than GM recomends to avoid sludge.
Sue

United States

#4 Feb 2, 2008
I just had the same thing happen to me. I was attempting to leave work last week and could only make it up to 10 MPH, 12 at the most. I called my dealer & they made arrangements to pick up my car and gave me a loaner.

Turns out the throttle body was froze in my 2006 Aveo (we had minus zero weather reently) and they ordered a part to keep it from freezing.

Yesterday, they got the part installed BUT,in the process of updating the computer, they found out they would have to replace the computer as well.

I love my Aveo and am thinking an extended warranty sounds mighty fine about now...
steve snyder

Fremont, OH

#5 Feb 20, 2008
I had the same thing with a new 2006 aveo starting at 9000 miles-stranded me 4-5 times in below freezing weather. Dealer towed it in and had it 4 weeks. Said they had to get the backordered parts from korea.
steve snyder

Fremont, OH

#6 Feb 20, 2008
I have all the codes,,i want to know what they mean,,can anyone help with that??? I also am concerned of the other damage done due to the car freezing up and dying at highway speeds lurching and causing probs with what i already hear has a junk timing belt from the start. I have no trust in my aveo anymore. codes are p0606,,p2106,,,p2105 bulletin 06-06-04-059 applies the dealer said.
Colette Grower

Anchorage, AK

#7 Feb 18, 2009
We had this same problem when we first purchased the car. We took it in and they said there was no fix for it and would call us if one came available. We put a lot of miles on in one year. We paid cash for the vehicle in 2007. It has almost 97000 on it now. The dealer refuses to take responsibility for the fix. Can you give some advice?
Clint Elliott

Sherwood Park, Canada

#8 Mar 23, 2009
I bought my Aveo in June 2008, I live in Alberta, Canada and it has refused to start (even though plugged in) three times now... I too bought the car and will never be buying another GM as long as I live. My wife would love it if the company would take some responsibility, however, they duck the issue. The dealer did try to put some sort of shield around the starter, which they said was freezing with water... however, it does snow in Canada, and the snow must have gotten by the shield... as my car is sitting in the driveway again and I have to cancel appointments, etc... very, very, annoying.
Helen St Cloud MN

Saint Cloud, MN

#9 Jan 4, 2010
We purchased a 2006 Aveo for cash six weeks ago and the engine light has been intermittent since. The local GM dealer repeats the standard we should 'make sure the gas cap is tight'. Uh-hu. THEN we found ourselves in -30f temperatures with the car engine dies repeatedly. Very scary! It'll start just fine but then cut out. A non-GM mechanic tells us the codes are 'numerous' and point to a corrupted computer. This car gets traded ASAP!!!
marlie ray

Gurnee, IL

#10 Feb 14, 2010
My daughter's car died and the check engine light came on. She coasted over to a stop and restarted the car and made it to her destination. The codes I got and later reproduced at autozone were p2106 and p2110. However autozone had no info for the aveo very strange,the computer was no help either.
Cobra

Granbury, TX

#11 Jun 1, 2010
Strange, this happened to my wife's car today. 2008 aveo 5. Error codes 2106 2110 2188 (x2) 2106 (x2) and 2161B.

Only big difference was that it wasn't cold outside. It was 98f. Hot summer texas day. strange. I'm guessing that if i replace the ecm everything will clear up... i hope.
george norwalk ct

Floral Park, NY

#12 Feb 10, 2011
my 2006 aveo started to choke up when i would step on the trotel and it would shut off,i smeled a bad oder it smeld like rotten eggs. replced catyletic and and now the car won't go over 15 mph took the car to auto zone and they told me that the ecm was no good that i have to re place it. its about 300 hope this will fix the prablem wish me luck.
Kesatria

Singapore, Singapore

#13 Mar 23, 2011
My 2006 Aveo also has issues. It has a serious misfiring problem recently. Sparkplugs & ignition cables are okay. The workshop said it's a faulty coil and replaced it. Does not help, still misfiring. Ended up they said it's due to a faulty computer. Swapped with another computer, works fine for a while and then back to the misfiring problems again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?
Jesse G

Edmonton, Canada

#14 Nov 14, 2011
I have a 2006 aveo and live in Edmonton (now) before that in Saskatoon (where it's COLD in the winter).

I found out the solution was to purchase a $20 battery blanket, and plug that in as well as the block heater. Problem totally solved.
Valerie

Prince George, Canada

#15 Jan 20, 2012
Thank God for google. My Aveo is exactly the same frozen ,I finally got it going only to get to my destination and have it do the same after sitting only 1 1/2 hour, and I had the key in the off position when it decided to start. And also I had taken it out of gear and it started moving.I must say that I am really dissappointed as this was my first new car.Buy the looks of it we should not have bailed them out when the company was going broke, this car was made as a promo for bailing them out .Thank you Chevrolet. I do hope you read all these testamonials.This is a summer driven car only, so I ask you Chevrelet what is the point of that. Please be honest with future customers.
Henry

Rome, NY

#16 Feb 11, 2012
Have a 2007 and it started doin all the above, misfiring, not goin ove 30mph at times, engine light on off on off, start no star, finally now there's no spark. Just put a coil on still no spark. Put a cam sensor o, by the way that was a joy and still no spark. The check engine light isn't on so it won't even read any codes. This makes me feel like it's the computer, I hope so.
kevin ontario canada

Waterloo, Canada

#17 Feb 15, 2012
My 2007 wave is having the same problem.I've twice replaced the throttle body.it will last about 2months and needs replaced yet again at nearly 500 per time. My warrenty is about up at 5yrs and I'm selling this pos fast. Also wheel bearings. I've replaced every one twice. Its just crappy manufacturing
jamie

Meadville, PA

#18 Jul 21, 2012
i have 20087 aveo hatchback and it was running fine than it just turn off and it wont start and whan you take the key all the way out the lights stay on.... its the lights that whan you start you car up them lights stay on whan you take the keys all the way out .. deoes and one no what would be wroung
smitty bristol pa

Bristol, PA

#19 Sep 1, 2012
what a pos same thing stars stalls no power cant get over 15mph bucks stumbles stalls . replace crank sensor ,should have throne money in street can anyone tell my what next before fire sale.....
Jbolongo

Oconomowoc, WI

#20 Dec 23, 2012
marlie ray wrote:
My daughter's car died and the check engine light came on. She coasted over to a stop and restarted the car and made it to her destination. The codes I got and later reproduced at autozone were p2106 and p2110. However autozone had no info for the aveo very strange,the computer was no help either.
I' ve been experiencing the same cold weather issue with this car since I bought it new in 2007. Dealer never did fix it and the warranty ran out leaving me with a 2000 lb lemon. It runs great in the warmer weather , but its still a huge mistake to trust this car in cold temps below 32 degrees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Aveo* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) Sep 14 flood404 528
Oil light timing off Sep 5 Jenn67 1
Chevy aveo Sep 5 flood404 2
Chevy aveo 09 1.6 Sep 5 flood404 2
Hope it not the alternator Sep 5 flood404 2
hold button flashes and trans stopd (Jan '16) Aug 23 Kellykl 3
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Aug '17 Jbutl2 503
More from around the web