Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that after my 2004 Aveo wouldn't start about three weeks ago, I had it towed to Chevy and they let me know it was a known issue with the engine valves. Here is the official factory statement:

General Motors: 2004-07 Chevrolet Aveo
Subject: Intermittent misfire with or without misfire codes may be caused by poor engine valve sealing. The misfire may occur under any operating condition and may or may not be noticeable. Revised valves are available to solve the problem, and the bulletin notes that vehicles built before VIN 5B406012 may already have the new intake valves installed. The bulletin includes part numbers but no installation instructions.
Bulletin 05-06-01-030C"

Just so you know it takes the Chevy dealership about 2 weeks to fix properly so I hope you walk to work. That coupled with the six other problems I have had with this car in the past year (including a full-on radiator replacement) makes me about 3 days shy of proclaiming this car a lemon. Good luck to you. As soon as I get it back I'm getting rid of it faster than you can say "Honda Element."

-DF
Chris

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2007

Judged:

Even though its Korean since GM got its hads on it its still junk! Glad I bought a Yaris!
Kim Smith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

Judged:

I just took my 2004 Aveo in because the engine was running rough. They just informed my that the engine needs to be replaced. I only have 67,000 miles on the car! A car engine should last longer than 4 years! I guess I bought a disposable car....
Carol

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Judged:

Took my 2004 Aveo into the shop back in Feb 2008 because the engine light kept coming on. I was told that it was bad gas, they put fuel injector cleaner in the system & reset the codes.(Hmmm I shouldn't have to add anything to my fuel for my car to run properly) The code was a random misfire they said happened at 10k. Recently my car rolled over to 30k, suddenly the car was driving really rough. Shaking when waiting at lights or during acceleration. Would constantly get a flashing engine light. Took into the dealer and was told it was fuel injector #2. They told me it was all good to go and went to pick it up. Got only a block away before the engine light came on, took it right back. Now the car has been in the shop for a week. They are going back and forth with the manufacturer. The last engine light set a code about the transmission. They have since changed out the gas cap and now are stating some wires & possibly the whole electronic module needs to be replaced. hmmmmmmm i have checked out many of these discussions online about the aveo and many of them were talking about the exact same things happening. I'm really concerned about all the postings about the timing belt snapping right before the warranty expires or right after (soo around 50-60k). I have a feeling that once this gets fixed, I'm going to be searching quick to get something new before something else breaks
flyingadjuster

Crown Point, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

Here is my $.02 worth. I have 132000 touble free miles on my Aveo. Now the mis-fire problem started. Jasper Engines has a Bulletin dated 9/06 called "Intermittent Engine Misfire on 04-05 GM 1.6 VIN code 6 engines. This was my fix. Go to Auto Zone have them scan the ECM. Code P1781 and Code P0700 are torgue and warning lite issues. I bought new spark plugs, new plug wires, and a quart of Marel Mystery Oil, and headed home in my sick Aveo. I found instructions to change the plugs by Google search. The top cover comes off with 4 Allen screws. Label the plug wires for postion, twist the wires as you pull to remove. Blow out the plug well with comressed air. I used a computer can from Office Depot. If the well is full of oil, from a leaking cam cover gasket, clean that up. Remove the plugs with a deep well socket. Counterclock-wise to remove. Gap the new plugs to .044 inches, screw back in finger tight. Torque to 18 ft/lbs. Install the new wires in the correct order. Forgot to mention to crank the engine a second or 2 with the plugs out to blow out anything that fell in. Now add 16 oz of MMO to the crankcase, but dont overfill. Add 4 oz to the gas tank. The valves are not closing or seating completely. I suspect this is due to varnish or coked oil on the stems. The MMO is a very light weight lubricant with a solvent property. Aircraft mechanics have used this stuff unofficial for years to solve stuck valves. Get an oil change after about 100 miles, and go easy on the engine as the MMO is thinner then your recommended oil.$75 and 2-3 hours and my light is out and it is not missing at this time. Don't be surpised if the dealer wants to sell you a new engine as it is guaranteed by GM. If they do the valve job, they have to gurantee their work, so they would rather sell engines. This is a shade-tree repair but so fat it beats going to the dealer. Good luck, and for the money, you can't beat an Aveo.
Dante Forbidden wrote:
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that after my 2004 Aveo wouldn't start about three weeks ago, I had it towed to Chevy and they let me know it was a known issue with the engine valves. Here is the official factory statement:
General Motors: 2004-07 Chevrolet Aveo
Subject: Intermittent misfire with or without misfire codes may be caused by poor engine valve sealing. The misfire may occur under any operating condition and may or may not be noticeable. Revised valves are available to solve the problem, and the bulletin notes that vehicles built before VIN 5B406012 may already have the new intake valves installed. The bulletin includes part numbers but no installation instructions.
Bulletin 05-06-01-030C"
Just so you know it takes the Chevy dealership about 2 weeks to fix properly so I hope you walk to work. That coupled with the six other problems I have had with this car in the past year (including a full-on radiator replacement) makes me about 3 days shy of proclaiming this car a lemon. Good luck to you. As soon as I get it back I'm getting rid of it faster than you can say "Honda Element."
-DF
flyingadjuster

Crown Point, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2008

Judged:

Pardon my spelling, no spell check on this forum. It is Marvel Mystery Oil, in a red container. They have made this stuff since 1923. You may have to ask for it, but it is in the additive section at Auto Zone. I got the Duralast plut wires, which are American made and half the price of the name brand. Post a question and I will try to help if I can. Don't throw your Aveo under the bus just yet! And get that timing belt changed if not done so at 60000 miles.
Daniel

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

Judged:

Ive had my timing belt slip at 94k it messed my engine valves up Got a new enegine now im having problems with miss fire and it runs fine
Daniel

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

new enegine from the junk yard"
BACL

Pine Grove, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2008

Judged:

flyingadjuster I am a GM tecnician, and we would rather do a valve job than pull an engine. I am changing an aveo motor at work now. Lets just say its not fun. also your plugs and wires is not for every vehicle issue relating to a Check Engine light or no-start condition.

Carol this is a probly just lack of testing by the technician.
Have 2 Aveos

Justice, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Judged:

I drive 170 miles a day and racked up my 2005 Aveo to 120,000 miles and it was losing antifreeze and found out my engine block was cracked. Rather then investing in a new motor and I saw the had new 2008 Aveo's on sale for $8,000, so I bought one. So then I started looking at fixing the old one and letting my son drive it, but did not want to put too much money into it since it had so many miles.
I bought a can of the stop-leak and dumped in into the anti-freeze container and they say your not suppose to use that stuff, but it worked and stopped the leak. So now I have a 2005 and a 2008 Aveo which both run great and I get around 40-44 mpg with them.
You can't go wrong for the price of these cars!:)
tony565565

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2008

Judged:

gm lied to aveo owners, there is no valve problem with the chevy aveo unless a timing belt broke, this cars engine is a 100% deawoo lanos, did the lanos have valve missfires in 1999, short answer heck no. the missfire problem is the acdelco or denso platinum spark plugs they stick in these cars brand new from the factory. the aveo's engine is not a vvt or v-tec, its a basic high compression interference design from the early 90's similar to the mazda protege twin cam 1.6 dohc, the protege had to have copper core spark plugs to run smooth and so does the aveo. all it needs is a set of autolite copper spark plugs part#3923 and the engine will sound like luxury. dont listen to gm. once you put these plugs in your car, you will gain from 103hp to 130hp, you will even be temped to race people thats how fast you car will be. missfires will be a thing of the past. tony565565@gmail.com
John

Bremerton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

My daughter has a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The timing belt broke and now the valves are all shot. The dealer wants 1700.00 to repair the head. Shops want almost the same because (they say) the only place to get the valves are from the dealer. I had a family friend take the head out and now we're looking for wrecking yard valves. Any ideas where?

Thanks...

john liveskydvr@yahoo.com
pablo

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

Judged:

timing belts are not a problem with Aveos.......... Any car with OHC has a timing belt. It does not matter what car you have, timing belt are MADE TO FAIL Take an automotive class, before you slander a good car.
lee

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2008

Judged:

blew timing belt 75k miles, blew engine on 04 aveo. replaced engine with 12k mile used engine, check engine light came on and wont shift to overdrive, codes say intermittent engine misfire and tranny codes. replaced that engine with another engine....(thats 2 engines) same codes and no overdrive. dealer reset computer and shifted now but misfired on commute and got stuck in 3rd again. stopped car and shut down engine, restarted and then it shifted to overdrive but still engine light on.
I replaced spark plugs with copper autolite #3923 and check engine light went off and car runs great. old plugs gapped at .060 and worn to nubs. Dealer wasn't even smart enough to check plugs (2 seperate dealers) and 2 other mechanics. i think I fixed it myself in the end with 8 dollars worth of plugs.
tony 123

Fredericton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Judged:

timing belt issues with the aveo were started in the factory!!!!! interference engines with very little piston to valve clearence need to have a reliable/lifelong timing belt on them in order to avoid simple breakage at 50k.water pump seal leaks and unforseen pully breaks may happen and cause belt breakage,regular belt breakdown seems to be whats going on here.poor belt design,gm don't even want to go there!!!! recall is the proper thing to do.give your customers some faith in their aveos for gms sake!!!!!! money/money/money/money/money/ money??????????
chevelle 66

Broadway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

John wrote:
My daughter has a 2004 Chevy Aveo. The timing belt broke and now the valves are all shot. The dealer wants 1700.00 to repair the head. Shops want almost the same because (they say) the only place to get the valves are from the dealer. I had a family friend take the head out and now we're looking for wrecking yard valves. Any ideas where?
Thanks...
john liveskydvr@yahoo.com
just did a valve job and bought the valves at Advance auto.
dnick

Carlsbad, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

I have an '04 Aveo that just spit a piston (or what's left of one) out through the engine block. I want to put a newer ('06 or '07) Aveo engine in it, if all of the "bolt-ups" are the same. Does anyone out there know if this will bolt up the same to the transmission & engine mounts; and if all of the mounting bolts are the same (to put on all the old manifolds, sensors, etc.)?????
tony565565

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2009

remember platinum plugs + cheap 87 octane gas = black carbon valves, then eventually burt valves. if you use cheap gas you need to use champion copper plugs. otherwise you must use 91 or higher premium gas in your aveo to prevent valve damage.
dnick

Carlsbad, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2009

FYI folks,
I went ahead & got a 2006 engine at a local junk yard, and the head & block are exactly the same. BUT, the valve cover, intake manifold, throttle body, etc. are different (has "drive-by-wire" throttle). So all I had to do was take my old intake system off & put it on the newer engine. Still working on getting it back in the car (lots of clean up of old parts), but looks good so far. No problem using the newer (06 or 07) block/head.
:-)
dnick

Carlsbad, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

Judged:

Hi all,
Well, got the engine replacement done on Tuesday, and she's running great.'Got a bit of a scare when we started her up,'cause there was a good amount of valve rattle - sounded like maybe we got a older engine than planned. But, turned out it just took a few minutes of running (actually a couple of miles of driving) for the lifters to get loosened up. They had probably been sitting undisturbed for a few months in that junk yard & just needed to get pumped back up again. Also had a hefty amount of smoke when we started her up, due undoubtedly to the oil in the exhaust system that had been stoking out through cylinder #1 where the piston had broken down to mush in the old engine. That cleared also after several miles of driving also. Now she purrs like a near new car .... all except for the failure to shift into 4th gear. FYI, I discovered after some research; you need to have the dealer (or someone with a diagnostic scanner) do a "Crankcase Position Variation" relearn task. That's why it won't shift to 4th. This programming is no big deal, but has to be done whenever an engine or certain other sensors/parts are replaced.
Summary: 2006/2007 Aveo engine block & head are interchangeable with 2004/2005 types. Intake manifold (& mounted sensors/fuel system), harness, & valve cover are not, so plan on reusing those from your old engine. Everything bolted up beautifully, so if you have to get a replacement engine, go for a newer one, especially since 2004s are hard to find anyway (so many have had to be used, given the crappy timing belt / valve train design). Good Luck Gearheads!

:0)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of135
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Chevrolet Aveo Forum right now

Search the Chevrolet Aveo Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) 12 hr Flood404 276
2004 Chevy Aveo bogging Apr 13 irritatedlady 1
Timing belt catastrophe (Oct '07) Apr 9 Sarah 149
2004 aveo radio (Apr '12) Apr 4 the king 8
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Apr 2 rafael 433
GM recalls 1.3 million Chevrolets, Pontiacs and... Apr 1 Rick 1
Aveo Sedan 08 powered window problems (Nov '07) Mar 26 Marsomi 3
•••

Buy a New Car