2005 Chevy Aveo HOLD light and steeri...

2005 Chevy Aveo HOLD light and steering wheel shaking real bad

Posted in the Chevrolet Aveo Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Debbie

Suwanee, GA

#1 Feb 25, 2011
I own a 2005 Chevy Aveo. It is a sad day when you have a car problem and the company who builds the cars and sales the cars has no idea what is causing the problem and doesn't seem to care about the customer who bought their merchandise. On early mornings when it is cold out upon cranking the car the steerting wheel begins to frantically shake and the HOLD light comes on. I have taken this vehicle to a Chevy dealer and contacted another. One dealer charged me $111 to fix what they THOUGHT the problem was and then the car acted up the very next day. The 2nd Chevy dealer just commented that he had no clue. I took it to a Ford dealer who at least attempted to figure it out but said I needed to take it to a Chevy dealer, then I took it to two other auto mechanics who also said it would have to go to a Chevy dealer. But so far, no luck with Chevy dealers, they act as if they have never seen or heard of such a thing. It is funny to me that if you go online and google 2005 Chevy Aveo HOLD light, you get a ton of hits with people all around the states experiencing the same problem and no one can figure out what the problem is. So apparently Chevy needs to compensate all of us for buying their vehicle that they can't service and quit selling a vehicle that no one in their company is knowegable about. It is a shame that we spend hard earned money on these vehicles that we can't even get service provided for much less a Chevy dealer with any support. If anyone has experienced this problem and finally found out what is causing it please, I bet of you, please post it so the rest of us poor souls can get our vehicles fixed once and for all and quit spending wasteful money one different repairs of what the Chevy mechanics THINK the problem is, but then never solves the true problem. Thanks, Debbie
Yunus

Dubai, UAE

#2 Jul 29, 2011
I have Chevrolet Aveo 2006. Since 4 months i have problem with Engine light. While driving suddenly the engine light come & the hold light on dashboard start blinking & the gear goes in Safe mode. While accelarating, the car start jerking then if i stop at one place the hold light goes off. I had done Computer testing 2 time & it shows some code with tramission problem. They clear it out & after sometime again i am having the same problem.

Recently i did Computer test & it says "LOST COMMUNICATION WITH TCM". I don't understand what is the actual problem & it don't want to waste more money on computer testing.

It seems that there is a electrical problem or something wrong in Gear.

Please suggest where should i take my car to solve this problem.
Karen Hughes

Memphis, TN

#3 Oct 21, 2011
The hold light issue was finally fixed on mine when my husband replaced the spark plugs and wires.

The shaking has become worse recently and yes, chevy dealers don't appear to know anything about fixing these aveo's.
LATASHA HENRY

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 2, 2011
HELLO MY NAME IS LATASHA I OWN A 2005 CHEVY AVEO..I'VE HAD MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT TOTALLING IN THE THOUSANDS. I AM IN THE MIST OF FILING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST GM. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING ME AND OTHERS TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION PLEASE GATHER UP ALL EXPENSES YOU HAVE PAID TOWARD YOUR CAR SO THAT YOU CAN SUMMIT IT TO THE ATTORNEYS...IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME I LIVE IN ST.LOUIS MO, MY EMAIL IS [email protected]...PL EASE IF YOU KNOW ANYONE ELSE THAT HAS AN AVEO AND ARE HAVING PROBLEM INFORM THEM OF THE LAWSUIT. THANKS AND HOPE TO GET JUSTICE SOON((:
Tim

United States

#5 Mar 8, 2012
The chevy aveo is junk!
Doug

Chillicothe, OH

#6 May 15, 2012
Yunus, my 05 Aveo does the exact same thing yours is doing. Karen, I changed the plugs and wires on mine and it did not solve the problem. Yunus, the code I am getting reads "Multiple misfires" and "upstream O2 sensor" replaced the O2 sensor, and the code is back. I read a post on this forum that said a leaky valve cover gasket was causing the arcing between the plug wires. Have not done that yet, altho I do not see any arcing between the wires. Debbie, Amen, and Latasha - good luck. Tim you are so correct. I am thinking about selling my Aveo to the Pick and Pull. I will not sell any person a car this bad.
Sherrie Reynolds

Concord, CA

#7 Aug 13, 2012
My 18 year old daughter bought her first car a 2005 chev Aveo. She had it a month when the steering wheel began shaking uncontrollably and she lost control, spun out across the freeway, hit the center divide and landed facing oncoming traffic. She was almost killed in this death trap. She was taken by ambulance and broke her wrist when airbags deployed. I want justice.
Demi

United States

#8 Oct 3, 2012
Sherrie Reynolds wrote:
My 18 year old daughter bought her first car a 2005 chev Aveo. She had it a month when the steering wheel began shaking uncontrollably and she lost control, spun out across the freeway, hit the center divide and landed facing oncoming traffic. She was almost killed in this death trap. She was taken by ambulance and broke her wrist when airbags deployed. I want justice.
I shouldn't have read this...&#58383 ;
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#11 Feb 7, 2013
Chevy Aveo plastic thermostat housings are junk and melts. Auto Zone sells it but they call it a Water-Works" outlet for $40. Its cast. The dealership wants $90 for a replacement cast one.
Valve cover gaskets leaking and oil pooling up around the spark plugs and causing them to foul out? Tighten gasket bolts 89 inch ponds.

Me? 149,000 miles so far at 33 mpg on highway.
Karen Hughes

Memphis, TN

#12 Feb 7, 2013
To update, my tension knob broke into three pieces causing the timing belt to slip off. Apparently this is a known issue since it is a plastic piece and not metal. Chevy has done nothing to correct the problem, nor issued a recall, or even sent out a warning notice to have it replaced. This generally causes major engine damage. Chevy does say to change the timing belt. Unfortunately the timing belt isn't the problem, its the tension piece. If you look around online you will find multiple postings about this. It was cheaper by far to get my old 98 S10 that hasn't run in two years repaired. I've never owned a vehicle that wasn't a chevy but will never buy another, when I replace this aveo it will be pretty much anything else.
Jim Alsup

Bremen, IN

#13 Feb 11, 2013
Sorry your having troubles. The Aveo is definitely a
hands on vehicle. Thers a few "Time Sensitive" parts on this vehicle no doubt. Whats sad is that before you got it from the dealer or Buy Here / Pay Here lot all ready knew about the 60,000 mile belt issues and should have in good faith just paid their mechanic to change the belt and water pump out for the heck of it. The complete kit is less than $174 and only 2 hrs labor. I will give advice where I can.
steve

Holland, MI

#14 Jul 11, 2013
I had the same trouble for about 2 mo. then the timing belt went out. had it fixed had all the pullis to the timing belt replaced as well one was busted this has fixed it
Alan

United States

#15 Aug 13, 2013
Jim Alsup wrote:
Chevy Aveo plastic thermostat housings are junk and melts. Auto Zone sells it but they call it a Water-Works" outlet for $40. Its cast. The dealership wants $90 for a replacement cast one.
Valve cover gaskets leaking and oil pooling up around the spark plugs and causing them to foul out? Tighten gasket bolts 89 inch ponds.
Me? 149,000 miles so far at 33 mpg on highway.
this is exactly what happens to one of mine! oil around the spark plug wires. i will try sir hopefully it works
Pete

United States

#16 Sep 17, 2013
My 2009 chevy aveo has the same problem. I also noticed that when the hold light comes on my coolant temperature guage goes out and my ac doesn't blow cold air. I'm guessing its a bad sensor due to the weather changes.
GM Customer Service

Sterling Heights, MI

#17 Sep 18, 2013
Good morning Pete,

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I'd like to look into your concern. If you'd email this description, your VIN and the current mileage on your Aveo, I'd gladly research some options that may be available to you. Please send this information to [email protected] Attn: Marlea W.)

I look forward to your response and working with you. Have a great day!

Marlea Wilson
GM Customer Service
Pete wrote:
My 2009 chevy aveo has the same problem. I also noticed that when the hold light comes on my coolant temperature guage goes out and my ac doesn't blow cold air. I'm guessing its a bad sensor due to the weather changes.
thomas

New York, NY

#18 Feb 11, 2014
My hold light come on what mat be causing this problem and where is it located at when the hold light comes on car stay running by no elcelaration .can some one tell what I need I need to do thanks t homas
patty

United States

#20 May 28, 2015
My daughter's 05 aveo has had all the stuff mentioned replaced....she can't get a sticker...the engine lite is blinking and shift light is on...u have to stop car and then start it....what can itvbr.she just lost her job I'm paying and that is a problem..I'm. Disabled....help please....
Flood404

Davenport, IA

#21 Jun 5, 2015
patty wrote:
My daughter's 05 aveo has had all the stuff mentioned replaced....she can't get a sticker...the engine lite is blinking and shift light is on...u have to stop car and then start it....what can itvbr.she just lost her job I'm paying and that is a problem..I'm. Disabled....help please....
The engine light blinking means a misfire is happening. It can damage the catalytic converter which is very expensive.

The causes of a misfire could be these.

Bad Spark plugs, Spark plug wires where it attaches to the plug is covered in OIL. Usually from a leaking valve cover gasket. Or bad spark plug wires, Bad Coil. To test the coil start the car and spray water on it and it you got alot of blue sparks from it the coil needs replaced.

The other thing that can cause it bad valves which there is a TSB on them. I am sure that was only in the 2004's. I had a 2004 Aveo that needed a replacement head because it was overheated. It would misfire when cold. I had the P0300 code and it was cylinder 3 and 4 that were misfiring.

I suggest you remove the E-tech cover by removing the 4 allen bolts.
Then pull off each wire and checking for oil on the wire and spark plugs.

Then try the starting the engine and spraying the coil with water to check for sparks.

On the automatic transmission aveo's whenever there is a P0300 code the hold light will flash meaning its in limp home mode. I want her to take this to autozone to have the codes read and let us know what they are. I know 100% there is a P0300 code and a transmission code. I will assure you the transmission is fine. Its just misfiring and the P0300 code causing this.
patty

United States

#23 Jun 11, 2015
Flood404 wrote:
<quoted text>
The engine light blinking means a misfire is happening. It can damage the catalytic converter which is very expensive.
The causes of a misfire could be these.
Bad Spark plugs, Spark plug wires where it attaches to the plug is covered in OIL. Usually from a leaking valve cover gasket. Or bad spark plug wires, Bad Coil. To test the coil start the car and spray water on it and it you got alot of blue sparks from it the coil needs replaced.
The other thing that can cause it bad valves which there is a TSB on them. I am sure that was only in the 2004's. I had a 2004 Aveo that needed a replacement head because it was overheated. It would misfire when cold. I had the P0300 code and it was cylinder 3 and 4 that were misfiring.
I suggest you remove the E-tech cover by removing the 4 allen bolts.
Then pull off each wire and checking for oil on the wire and spark plugs.
Then try the starting the engine and spraying the coil with water to check for sparks.
On the automatic transmission aveo's whenever there is a P0300 code the hold light will flash meaning its in limp home mode. I want her to take this to autozone to have the codes read and let us know what they are. I know 100% there is a P0300 code and a transmission code. I will assure you the transmission is fine. Its just misfiring and the P0300 code causing this.
Thank you I had that all fixed and didn't help.engine light still on now can't get it out of gear which was fixed last year ...auto zone couldn't. Help and. Need to go to Chevy dealer which is going to cost over 100.00 to put on scope..I wAnt to blow that crap car apart.all the money I put into it.
Flood404

Davenport, IA

#25 Jun 11, 2015
patty wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you I had that all fixed and didn't help.engine light still on now can't get it out of gear which was fixed last year ...auto zone couldn't. Help and. Need to go to Chevy dealer which is going to cost over 100.00 to put on scope..I wAnt to blow that crap car apart.all the money I put into it.
Also there is a TSB on the fuel rail getting dirty. It can cause misfires. On the older Aveo's there was no fuel filter. There was only the basic sock filter that is in the gas tank which was only replaceable if you replaced the whole fuel sending unit inside the gas tank.. It would not trap small particles which will get trapped in the fuel rail. Since this is a returnless fuel system. There was something about it will misfire worse when turning corners. The fix was to remove the fuel rail and the 4 fuel injectors and clean them out by hand. This will require some basic tools to do.

Its about 6 bolts that needs removed. 4 of them for the support bracket and two holding the fuel rail on. The fuel line is a quick disconnect type. I would just unplug the AC pressure switch connector. The intake temp sensor connector and the map sensor and throttle and idle air control valve sensor connector. Just leave the injectors connected since they are difficult to unplug while they are on the fuel rail. Then remove each injector from the rail and clean them make sure the rail is clean by using carb cleaner. You might get away reusing the o-rings on the injectors but better off replacing those.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Aveo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the chevy aveo's big secret power all owners mu... (Oct '08) 3 hr Worriedfemale 451
chevy aveo won't turn over (Jul '13) Thu Chasexx23 30
2004 Aveo Engine Valve Problem (Jul '07) Wed Tonya 156
Oil in coolant reservoir (Aug '15) Apr 16 GRAFIXMASTER 6
2011 Aveo Problems (Jan '12) Apr 16 higgy270 31
oil in coolant Apr 16 Jewlz3124 2
Trouble filling gas tank (Nov '06) Apr 15 Joe 483
More from around the web