fading body molding on avalanche

fading body molding on avalanche

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
earl

United States

#1 Feb 13, 2007
what can be done about this ?other than armour - dillo ,or armour all etc.
bob

United States

#2 Feb 18, 2007
try gator back
Jake

Wallingford, CT

#3 Mar 4, 2007
Buy new plastic for about a Gazzilion dollars, G.M. put quality first.
TOYOTA RULES

Casper, WY

#4 Mar 4, 2007
Jake wrote:
Buy new plastic for about a Gazzilion dollars, G.M. put quality first.
..........GM use quality LOL.
04 lanch

Seattle, WA

#5 Mar 16, 2007
i used a mothers product called back to black it takes very little time to rub it in and off and it lasts , i live in seattle it is always wet hear but the product makes such a difrence try it and use some elbo greese
fishstronamy

Jupiter, FL

#6 Apr 1, 2007
I'm thinking of buying soon and understand about the fading problem. Has anyone bought the truck with painted moldings and still had problems??
fishstronamy

Jupiter, FL

#7 Apr 1, 2007
04 lanch wrote:
i used a mothers product called back to black it takes very little time to rub it in and off and it lasts , i live in seattle it is always wet hear but the product makes such a difrence try it and use some elbo greese
I have tried all of the above products. Many work but when it rains the products streaks the paint. If left that way in the sun it becomes very hard to take off.
jaywallace99

Harrisburg, NC

#8 Apr 19, 2007
I took my avalache into the chevy dealer for some warrenty work. They applied some dye to the faded plastic and it looks like new. It has been almost a year and still looks good. I don't know how much it would cost to get done, there was no charge.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#9 Jun 10, 2007
There is a kit you can use if you have experience with auto painting you can find it here

http://gatorbackcoatings.com/faq.htm
Z66LBC

United States

#10 Jul 12, 2007
does eneyone know how much it is to make my 02 Z66 in to a EXT cad.
Z66LBC

United States

#11 Jul 12, 2007
Gears 411 or 373 what would be my rpm at 80mph. im doing abiut 2200 at about 80 mph
bill saylors

AOL

#12 Oct 3, 2007
Read GM cladding issues on painting cladding is not the answer and will peel off www.armordillots1.com
bill saylors

AOL

#13 Oct 3, 2007
Gatorback Coatings claims of being a permanant fix is bogus.Gatorbacks disclaimer is always the same when a customer complaint arises. They always blame the problem on bad prep. According to GM engineers and Automotive International paint coatings will not adhere to TPO plastic. Don't take my word for it get it from the experts.Read important info on GM cladding issues before you paint and have a peeling issue. What is GM thinking? [email protected]
rfgjfyj

Woodbridge, VA

#14 Dec 19, 2007
I didn't apply anything to my 2002 avalanches cladding for over a year and it was very very faded (all oils were out of the cladding). I then removed all the cladding and sanded it smooth and had it painted about 1.5 years ago and it has held up 100%. It's all in how you approach it.
KStuck

Walls, MS

#15 Dec 31, 2007
I would love to see some pics of AVs with painted molding. The cladding on my 2002 Northface looks like crap. I do not drive off road, I think painting the plastic would make my 22s look better. Some where out there, some guy or gal has figured out a cheap way to make there cladding look great. Please post pics.
john

Naples, FL

#16 Jan 8, 2008
gator back coating is covered under warranty. take to any Chevy dealer that still has body shop and tell them you want it done. i had mine done and it looks great. just expect to be with out it for at least 4 days.
Camshaftit

Detroit, MI

#17 Feb 19, 2008
Bumper fascias are TPO and painted and do not peel.
Bill Saylors

AOL

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Will GM stand behind Gatorback Coatings when it fails to perform as claimed? You will have no recource against GM unless your service manager provides a written guarantee that Gatorback is a permanent GM warranty repair. In a year or so you will most likley have a faded peeling mess on your hands. Don't take my word for it, read what GM engineers have to say about painting TPO plastic parts.
visit [email protected]
2 AV owner

Pekin, IL

#19 Sep 3, 2008
This IS the best fix for this problem. Lasts longer than anything else...
http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/c...
Michigan

Jackson, MI

#20 Oct 24, 2008
I have a 2004 Avalanche. The dealer told me that GM doesn't have a fix for the problem other than you purchasing a pad of armordillo from them for fifteen dollars, It looks good for about three weeks then back to the old crappy look. Back to Black Mothers)the same thing looks good for about three weeks then back to crap. Why doesn't GM fix this problem rather than expect us to keep buying packets of Armordillo/Mothers every month. My dealer said nothing about gatorback other than I could pay for it if I wanted to try it.(NOT covered.) I think it's time GM steps up to the plate and takes care of the problem they have created for us. If they can put vinyl on a roof and have it look good why cant they do the same for the avalanche.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Avalanche Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Avalanche SnugTop XUV shell for sale (Jul '13) Jan 25 DLombardi 20
AirBag Warning light and DIC (Oct '06) Jan 20 bruce7329 247
Starting Problem... (Sep '10) Dec '15 Alex 30
Back window holder Nov '15 Trever24 1
Rear end problem (Jan '07) Nov '15 CAN 90
News GM Avoids Recall of 2 Million Trucks for Corrod... (Apr '15) Oct '15 Ben C Franklin 3
Dead Batteries in 2007 Avalanche (Nov '06) Sep '15 Ryan 20
More from around the web