'04 avalanche, speedometer
cross 83

Warwick, RI

#164 Dec 6, 2010
My 03 avalanche needles stick and gas gauge,sticks also. I wonder if I don't get it fixed soon will it cause further damge..damn they need to recall this!
cross 83

Warwick, RI

#165 Dec 6, 2010
Recall speedometer NOW!! Its chevy fault it will take sum one to die for them to fix it
capmo

Pleasant Hill, CA

#166 Dec 12, 2010
I've a 2003 Avalance (Blanch) with 71K + and my speedo went south. Been driving since 1965 and never had a broken speedo before! I've signed the petition and wondering how the national class action will take place? I haven't contacted GM yet but Mon I will call and report what they have to say.
SueR

Midland, MI

#167 Jan 13, 2011
Same problem! My oil pressure gauge is topped out too, along with my speedo. My dash is starting to go on the fritz. Anyone got a solution? Thought I got a recall a year or so ago about a speedo, but mine wasn't doing it then and the letter stated they would only fix those that were broken then. Stupid me! Should have had it fixed, now I am afraid I am out a big repair. I was planning to buy a new Avalanche, wondering now!
Jon K

Corona, CA

#168 Feb 4, 2011
I just had my problem fixed for free by Chevy.
I am not the orginal owner and I do not have a warrenty.
I called (800) 222-1020 Chevy, I explained the problem. My vehicle is less than 7 years old and has 66K miles so the rep made an appt with the local dealer and it was fixed in 1 day.
I encourage everyone who has this problem to call
the worst thing they can say is you are not covered under this repair agreement
Gordon D

Lewisville, TX

#169 Feb 21, 2011
Well if you have one of these trucks, with less than 80K miles, contact GM @ 800-222-1020. Have your VIN# ready, they will verify that your vehicle is covered under the extended warranty that Chevy offered for this problem.

IF your vehicle is out of warranty (like mine) then be ready to hand a Chevy dealer about $400.00 to fix this.
Gordon D

Lewisville, TX

#170 Feb 21, 2011
Gordon D wrote:
Well if you have one of these trucks, with less than 80K miles, contact GM @ 800-222-1020. Have your VIN# ready, they will verify that your vehicle is covered under the extended warranty that Chevy offered for this problem.
IF your vehicle is out of warranty (like mine) then be ready to hand a Chevy dealer about $400.00 to fix this.
UPDATE: IF you are willing to make this repair yourself. Try this link.
http://www.autoxpresstech.com/index.php...
jim

Archer, FL

#171 Apr 20, 2011
my 2004 avalanch with 40000 miles on it the speedometer reads 120mph sitting still same as all the others owners w same problems,has anyome gotten the dealers to fix it for free yet,email me at [email protected] s
Peggy Woolfork

Cincinnati, OH

#172 Apr 22, 2011
I am having the same problem with 03 Avalanche.
It will sometimes go back to zero, but it sems that
on hot sticky days it goes out of control. It
is now sitting in the drive stuck at 70, it was at 110. Don't think I want to pay 500.00 to get it fixed. Maybe I will just let the problem ride.
I can ususally tell how fast I am going.
There should be a recall on this problem.
Tim

Canada

#173 Apr 25, 2011
My speedometer went last night on 2004 Ava lanche...Contacted G.M. Canada regarding recall based upon numerous complaints..no resolution even though based upon all these posts this is definately an issue.Stated to take vehicle to local dealer..pay for diagnostic at my cost and perhaps they might? apply a 25% discount to replacement of D.I.C. This will be my last G.M.!!!!
Russ

Brooklyn, NY

#174 May 2, 2011
My 04 Avalanche Has all the typical Chevy Bugs too. First my power window motors started to go ( with 50k ) then My Gauge cluster stopped working . THANKS GM You Guys Need to step it up & do more R&D !! Die Hard Chevy Guy Who is starting to look at Toyota's !
Toni

Cincinnati, OH

#175 May 12, 2011
I also have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche that needs a new cluster. The speedometer does not work, the temp gage does not work and I can never tell how much gas I actually have in the truck. Does anyone know if this has been recalled???
AJA

Brampton, Canada

#176 May 23, 2011
There is a recall on the instrument cluster. Extended warranty up to 70000 miles. I had mine done under warranty (somehow) at 100000 miles. Just go and be nice and they will fix for you.
Michael Winn

United States

#177 Jun 13, 2011
I called GM Customer Service 1 800 222 1020 regarding 2005 Chevy Avalanche speedometer stop working after 55K miles. I was advised to bring my Avalanche to the nearest Chevy dealer to fix it. GM will cover the charge. You can call GM Technical Support Rep 18667905600 Ext 31053.
steve

Jackson, MS

#178 Jun 26, 2011
You also might want to try this quick fix I just did this morning. Pull out the DIC (Digital Instrument Cluster) fuse from the main fuse box at the front in the engine compartment. Then start the truck. Then turn it off and re-install the fuse. This "zero's" the needles and you are ready to go.

Someone else suggested moving the gear shift to "drive" prior to starting the truck...they said this does the same thing without having to remove and re-install the fuse.

also here a good document.
It has great descriptions and pictures on how to fix this problem

http://www.sound-expressions.com/rides/avaspd...
Ernesto

United States

#179 Oct 13, 2011
Damn my chevy got me a ticket for my speedmeter gm got ti pay
Jim

Rexford, NY

#180 Oct 22, 2011
Chris wrote:
I just got home an hour ago from purchasing a 2004 Avalanche. I realized 10 minutes from home that i was apparently going 95 mph and didn't realize it. I swore it seemed like I was going 55. Yeah..it's busted...has anyone figured out if GM will fix this or is everyone screwed into paying?
Just bought a 2004 Avalanche and my speedometer is doing the same thing. Any help out there.
Jim

Rexford, NY

#181 Oct 22, 2011
2004 Avalanche speedometer problems has there been a recall from GMC ? Mine is doing the same thing.
leo

United States

#182 Nov 30, 2011
i have the same problem
Chris

Cedar Hill, TX

#184 Mar 20, 2012
I am having the same problem, gauge sticking at 120 and doing 20. There is obviously a manufacturing defect. Will call GM also, my 05 Avalanche has 77,000 miles.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Avalanche Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AirBag Warning light and DIC (Oct '06) 14 hr kedward09 253
Starting Problem... (Sep '10) Aug 21 Richienoggin 41
painting body cladding (Dec '06) Aug 9 Dufas 24
Avalanche SnugTop XUV shell for sale (Jul '13) Jul 30 Stan RA 28
Cheap Fitted Kitchens Sheffield Jul '16 qantengolo 1
fading body molding on avalanche (Feb '07) Jul '16 STEVE 47
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Jul '16 Jolene 74
More from around the web