Next Last
ronald terrell

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Oct 19, 2006
how to fix
Tammy

Northbrook, IL

#3 Dec 8, 2006
2003 Avalanche, my speedometer needs replaced. When sticks and ends up going to 120. I have 49k miles so of course no warranty. $394 to replace. I called gm myself and got them to agree to replace as a manufacturer defect. If enough people call on this, maybe they will recall it.
Lee

United States

#4 Dec 23, 2006
My 2004 Avalanche odometer reading is now 39,000 which of course beyond the warranty. The speedmeter is has quit working. Looks like a manufacturer problem. Does anybody know of a recall on it? Can't imagine anything I did to cause the problem, and it looks as though others are experiencing the same.
Jim Crouch

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Dec 28, 2006
ronald terrell wrote:
how to fix
My speedometer went out about a month ago. Frustrating. I am surprised Chevy has not issued a service recall for this problem.
Eddie

Atlanta, GA

#6 Dec 30, 2006
Jim Crouch wrote:
<quoted text>
My speedometer went out about a month ago. Frustrating. I am surprised Chevy has not issued a service recall for this problem.
My speedometer went out on my 2004 avalanche too. how do i contact gm or do i need to go to the dealer?
Virginia

AOL

#7 Dec 31, 2006
This is not good. We were just returning home from our road trip vacation. Woke up this morning for the last leg of our trip and first thing when my husband started driving our 2004 Avalanche, he noticed that the speedometer was sitting on Zero. Then it went up to 120. Now, while it is sitting in our garage, the needle is sitting there on 40 MPH.

I just contacted GM through e-mail to see if there is anyway that they can help me get this resolved.

Glad I found these posts concerning this problem.
Ed Pritchard

United States

#8 Jan 5, 2007
Yesterday I got in my 2004 Avalanche and the speedometer is showing 48 mph just sitting in the drive. The Avalanche just rolled up to 40,000 miles. I plan on e-mailing GM also on this.
Chris

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Jan 5, 2007
I just got home an hour ago from purchasing a 2004 Avalanche. I realized 10 minutes from home that i was apparently going 95 mph and didn't realize it. I swore it seemed like I was going 55. Yeah..it's busted...has anyone figured out if GM will fix this or is everyone screwed into paying?
Kevin P

Somerdale, NJ

#10 Jan 5, 2007
I also have a 2004 Avalanche with 33,000 miles on it. My speedometer just started acting weird yesterday. When I'm doing about 50-60 it says I'm going 80-90.

My drivers side window doesnt work either, the motor slowly started giving out about two months ago. Now it doesnt work at all.

I think I'm still covered under the waranty on both items.

Any thoughts?

New Jersey
Terri B

Fresno, CA

#11 Jan 8, 2007
I am also experiencing the problem that when my avalanche is sitting still in the driveway the speedometer shows that I am doing 30 to 40 miles per hour. Does anyone know where I can go to contact GM about this?
Jeff

AOL

#12 Jan 17, 2007
I am so glad I researched this issue before paying the $400 for a "cluster" on my 04 Avalanche. I had no idea how common this problem was until reading these entries. About a month ago my speedometer began sticking at 80 mph and going up to 120 only to return to 80 mph when the vehicle was stopped. I plan on calling GM and insisting they cover this even though my vehicle is beyond the mileage warranty. This should be a recall item by now.
Jeff

AOL

#13 Jan 17, 2007
Chris wrote:
I just got home an hour ago from purchasing a 2004 Avalanche. I realized 10 minutes from home that i was apparently going 95 mph and didn't realize it. I swore it seemed like I was going 55. Yeah..it's busted...has anyone figured out if GM will fix this or is everyone screwed into paying?
Chris:
I called my service manager at my local Chevrolet dealership and advised him that I found so many people with the same problem as mine and that I felt this item should be covered under warranty. He is reaching out to GM now. This is obviously a manufacturers defect and as consumers we must stick together in order to get them to cover this.

Jeff
Dan

Bolivar, MO

#14 Jan 22, 2007
My speedometer just started acting up as well. I call the local dealer and they told me that it will not be recalled because it isn't a safety issue, so it will cost me about $350 to replace.
Kelvin Drake

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2007
I too have a 2004 chevy avalanche and the spedometer needle is defective. I am going to contact GM and see what they tell me. I have 54,000 miles on it and the driver's electric window is very slow and sometimes has difficulty rolling all the way up. Good luck to everyone.
lisa

North Richland Hills, TX

#16 Jan 22, 2007
My '03 Chevy Avalanche had the blower sticking last year trying to use air. It would give out in horribly hot weather. First, the highest setting failed, then sometimes the air altogether, now again, the highest setting neither heat or cool. About two months ago, the blower would go on under the hood without the engine running. The battery ran out twice doing this. Now, when the temp has dropped in Ohio to below 20, the gauges are all dropped as though the car is off even when it's warmed up for over a half hour. NONE of the gauges work, the speedometer, the gas, the RPM meter, oil, battery, nothing. No gauges working. There had BETTER be a recall on this...
lisa

North Richland Hills, TX

#17 Jan 22, 2007
go here to report a malfunction that the government will force a recall over:

http://www.safercar.gov/defect/...
Armin

Jacksonville, FL

#18 Jan 22, 2007
My 2004 Avalanche speedometer starting sticking, first I thought I was going about 45 mph, when I realized that I was passing everyone. I accelerated and noticed that the speedometer didn't move. Now it sticks at various speeds and stays that way. It has gone past 120 mph.
GM really needs to look at this problem and fix it.
Ray

Irvine, CA

#19 Jan 23, 2007
My 2003 Avalanche speedometer started sticking and fluctuating a couple of months ago. As with the rest of you, I'm calling my dealer/GM.
Nick

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Jan 23, 2007
My 2004 Avalanche speedometer went out on me last night. I called a local Chevy dealership and they advised me that this is a known defect and that it would be about $100 to fix... that's after they charge GM the other $400.
Mike Cadeau

Chatsworth, Canada

#21 Jan 24, 2007
My 2004 Avalanche speedometer stuck at zero yesterday, checked all fuses, seemed to work okay this afternoon, Stuck below Zero 15 minutes ago, stuttered between 20 & 40 on the way home, and right now it's doing 20 parked in the driveway!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Avalanche Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Avalanche SnugTop XUV shell for sale (Jul '13) Apr 29 Nick 26
AirBag Warning light and DIC (Oct '06) Apr 25 dashecky 252
running bad and sluggish Apr 25 Gerami 1
rumble vibration (Jul '15) Apr 17 Richienoggin 2
2002 Avalanche. Has power. Nothing works. Apr 16 Richienoggin 2
Starting Problem... (Sep '10) Apr 10 Richienoggin 37
unknown driver? Mar '16 kevin pelton 2
More from around the web