Astro- Misfiring on Multiple Cylinder...

Astro- Misfiring on Multiple Cylinders, Various work been done and no Change

Posted in the Chevrolet Astro Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mark-FL

United States

#1 Feb 7, 2007
Where to start? Having multiple cyclinder misfires according to the scan due to engine light illuminating. They occur when pulling off from stop, changing gears- 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd- cruising at about 80 mph.

I've had the following work done: plugs (platinum), wires (twice), cap (twice) "n" rotor, fuel filter, air filter, catalytic converter (required due to scan).

Since I purchased the van last August, 2006, I've been using mid-grade fuel just to ensure good gas. At my ends now and need some help before I spend anymore money. The latest recommendation was to replace the fule injectors $600+, please advise ASAP
jerome

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Feb 9, 2007
hello there,
change the plugs to the champion auto zone 1.69 ! i had the same issu on a 2002 two days ago, with the bosch platinum. Random multiple misfire was the proble reading on my scanner. i changed the plugs to the cheap ones, and it runs great...go ahead, you would only be out less then 11 dollars !
jerome

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Feb 9, 2007
i can't even type ! how pathetic... sorry. anyway mark...change the plugs
Mark

United States

#4 Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for that info. I'll try it out. Keep me updated as the days and weeks go by because it was about a week later when it started the misfiring again.
Dan

Baltimore, OH

#5 Feb 17, 2007
I had same EXACT problems with 99 Astro. It would not even start after rain and fog. Sprayed bottom of cap with WD-40 and would start right up. Tried everything (coil,wires ,plugs,and 3caps) and Chevy dealer figured out it was bad seals on distributer. Not a cheap fix but its never missed a beat since (2 years).
Dan

Baltimore, OH

#6 Feb 17, 2007
Let me add to previous post that when I put a new part in the ignition system (sparkplugs, etc), it would run pretty well for a month or two depending on weather then right back to square one. I hope this helps because I spent a boatload of money to figure this out. Would have been cheaper to go to dealer first. I would bring this (seals) up to private mechanics and they would laugh and say "Do you know how much a new dist. costs". And I guess if you would like an expensive lawn ornament, they're right! Hope this helps.
jerome

Plano, TX

#7 Feb 19, 2007
Mark,
Perhaps, the distibutor in your van is shot, it is a possibility, however, i personaly doubt it. I recently replaced the plugs on the astro, and is now fine and actually very good. i also replaced the bosch plugs off of an aerostar and it too is now running as it should. i have a chrysler van myself and have regular the platinum AC plugs and it runs fine, but i think that it would run better with standard DENSO plugs(excellent plugs along with NGK). In any case just replace the plugs for the regular 1.69 from autozone., and please let me know what you have on your hands.
Mark

United States

#8 Feb 23, 2007
I appreciate everyone's input into this issue of mine and I am definitely looking into performing the various options. Thanks guys
aut - oh Astro 99

New York, NY

#9 Feb 23, 2007
you guys have it down. i have replaced many parts .
to many to list . one of witch was the plugs . gaped
properly . NGK . the problem still exist. it will start then stall,within 1-2 seconds. i did see where
someone was talking about , key switch.looking for some input.Thanks much.
jerome

United States

#10 Feb 23, 2007
Mark...
any news on your van yet ?
jerome

United States

#11 Feb 23, 2007
hey astro 99...what is your van doing ? does it stall in hot or cold start ? engine light on ?
be interested to know if i could maybe help
aut - oh Astro 99

New York, NY

#12 Feb 23, 2007
thanks. it won't stay running. hot cold wet dry .
it has no special sequence. it will fire start then die.sometimes it will run . just when i think it is solved it acts out (up). what do you think?
jerome

United States

#13 Feb 23, 2007
ok, does it have at least 50 psi + of fuel at the rail ? if not, i would start looking for a fuel pump replacement and or a fuel pressure regulator as well.
also, because it dies right away, you do not know if it is starving for fuel or if the sparks stop sparking..correct ?. one way would be to unplug your coil wire to eliminate sparks for sure and see how much fuel pressure is at the rail by cranking it over for a few minutes and see if it holds that pressure too. Another possible option is that your air mass, or air flow meter is tired. The little wires in there get very very hot, if they do not have the proper resistance...good luck. may as well make a phone call to the moon.!
Look, contrairly to what most so call mechanic out there will tell you, engines are all the same, from a one cylinder lawn mower to a v12 Benz, the concept is all the same, they all need fuel, sparks, and oxygen to run. Combustion engine are simple , they are however all made a bit different from one another but the basic is all the same.Your van is no different. if you have a vacuum leak after the air mass, the computer will not know that extra air is getting into the engine and it will run too lean. If your o2 sensors are out, it will be either too rich or too lean.if you have a faulty ignition something somewhere you will get a misfiring somewhere.If it jump time it will sound like someone is banging the motor with a hammer and will backfire all over. If it starts fine and dies, you are getting closer to a fuel or spark issue. if you get no spark at all, you have a few options. Cap, rotor, wires,coil, camshaft position sensor.
The crankshaft position sensor under the crankshaft under the front of the engine controls the fuel discharge in the cylinders and it is located on the timing cover if yours as one.
i need more infos from you as i think that we can narrow your hick up down without replacing parts left and right.90% of the time, it is a simple fix, and rather inexpensive, but if you give it to someone who does not understand what all the sensors do in your engine, well, get a subscription to Auto zone. In order to fix it, you must first understand exactly how everything works together. An engine temperature sensor acts as a choke by sending a signal to the computer telling it that the water/engine is below certain temperature, which in turn will add more fuel until it warms up to operating temperature then the fuel will decrease and will idle lower. So you see as complicated as it looks or sounds, all those engines out there are the same, they look different, but work the same way. some will need more things to make them and keep themn running, others won't.
tell me more specifics and like type of sounds, or smell, like too much fuel, tell me if you have the light on on the dash. i need to know more infos to help you better.
Hopefuly i did not write all this down for nothing.
Then, once it runs fine, i'll tell you how to fix the light on your radio that are burn out too
aut - oh Astro 99

New York, NY

#14 Feb 24, 2007
no thanks
jerome

Coppell, TX

#15 Feb 24, 2007
ok...well sorry to have bothered you.thought i was helping.guess i was wrong
Mark

United States

#16 Feb 27, 2007
Jerome, in aut-oh Astro 99 defense, I think he just forgot to put a comma in between no and thanks. I hope that was the case, it would seem he was saying NO- it was not a waste of time- and Thanks- for your input.
Mark

United States

#17 Feb 27, 2007
Jerome, I'm out of town so I have not had a chance to experiment as yet, thanks for asking
jerome

United States

#18 Feb 27, 2007
Mark,
thanks for letting me know that i had not written this entire text and short explaination in vain...
take care
hey mark

Northbrook, IL

#19 Mar 12, 2007
My 99 Astro is also misfiring but not all the time. It runs great then at times you can feel it misfiring, jerking a little. I changed to plugs, checked the coil and plug wires. All seemed fine. Seems it acts up when it is cloudy ( more humid ) out. I though maybe the spark was jumping wires but it does not do it all the time. Frustrating. I am nervous to take it on any long distance trips. It has 110k miles.

I have already replaced the gas pump 6k miles ago. This is my 2nd chevy doubt I will buy another one. Did you replace your distributor? How is the van running now?? I am reluctant to take it in to be diagnossed $65/hr to have it checked for drivability 2 hr minimum.

Ken B.
steve ss

UK

#20 Mar 13, 2007
i have recently purchased a 93 astro with the digital dash and the temp gauge is not working. any ideas? i have just ordered a manual (3 weeks del) but would like to get it sorted asap.i live in the uk so may have to sendaway for parts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Astro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1997 astro not starting Wed Paul jt 2
89 astro 4.3 clicking noise (Oct '08) Wed starcraft 3
1989 Astro 4.3L Vortec V6 Drive Belt Routing Di... (Oct '06) Wed starcraft 5
2000 astro van eating antifreeze Tue rick 2
97 Astro starting problem (Jun '07) Aug 22 Carl 62
Windshield washer fuse or? (Oct '07) Aug 20 Rodney 3
95 Astro loses power when accelerating hard. Bo... (Dec '07) Aug 20 Wolvie72 17
More from around the web