97 Astro starting problem
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ryan

Santa Clarita, CA

#1 Jun 1, 2007
Well when I turn on the key I dont hear the regular buzzing of the fuel pump, so that tells me its not working for one reason or another. Does anyone have any idea what would be causing the pump not to work other than the Pump unit itself being bad? I would like to know if there could be any possible problems before I take it to the shop or spend a few days dropping the tank and buying an new $300 pump. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.
DAN IN VANCOUVER WA

Oregon City, OR

#2 Jun 1, 2007
Ryan,
outside, under the hood you will find 2 relays. There will be a short wire lead comming off the box that goes no where. Run a wire from your battery to the lead and the pump should run. If it does, you can eleminate that $300 worry from your list. Let us know, Thanks, Dan
ryan

Santa Clarita, CA

#3 Jun 1, 2007
Well I went out and bought a new fuel pump, and replaced it. It started and ran, but when i step on the gas, there is some hesitation that wasnt there before, maybe some break in? Im going to replace the filter tomorrow, ran out of time today. Any idea on what the lag is from?
DAN IN VANCOUVER WA wrote:
Ryan,
outside, under the hood you will find 2 relays. There will be a short wire lead comming off the box that goes no where. Run a wire from your battery to the lead and the pump should run. If it does, you can eleminate that $300 worry from your list. Let us know, Thanks, Dan
Joe

AOL

#4 Jun 5, 2007
I have a 1997 Chevy Astro Van that won't start. I don't appear to have fuel pressure or spark. I changed the ignition coil, ignition module and fuel pump relay I sprayed either down the throttle body throat, the car cranks strong, but won't start.
john

Columbia, SC

#5 Jun 18, 2007
Joe wrote:
I have a 1997 Chevy Astro Van that won't start. I don't appear to have fuel pressure or spark. I changed the ignition coil, ignition module and fuel pump relay I sprayed either down the throttle body throat, the car cranks strong, but won't start.
check all fuses ..check for service engine light when key is in run position.if not def check all fuses
jerome

Dallas, TX

#6 Jun 18, 2007
Joe..also check the crankshaft position sensor, as it controls the fuel also
Dave

United States

#7 Aug 28, 2007
I have a 97 Astro that has been intermittantly stalling the last few days, sometimes very difficult to restart or starting and not running very long before stalling again. I added fuel drier twice and I just replaced the filter today backed it out of the garage and couldn't keep it running enough to move a few feet. Any ideas? Also it has been unusually damp here the past 2 weeks.
Tom

West Mclean, VA

#8 Sep 3, 2007
My 96 astro is frequently difficult to start. I do hear the fuel pump ru before starting (but not as long as it used to run for).

Sometimes it takes 4-6 attempts to get it started, other time just one. It seems the longer it sits the harder it is to start.

Fuel filter was replaced and no difference. Should I just get a new pump or could it be another problem?
anthony cary nc

Wilson, NC

#9 Oct 22, 2007
hey tom from washington.. if u figuer out that problem can you please email me.. [email protected] i got the same problem.. longer my 97 astro sits. the harder it is to start and forget about if it rains.. van runs like crap if i can even start it.. cap rotor plugs wires o2 sen changed.. i did the fuel pump 3 hrs ago. but it still hums like it always did. thanks.
Richie

Syracuse, NY

#10 Nov 5, 2007
I have a 97 Astro Van AWD that has had starting problems since we purchased it (used). It will Not Start when it is Cold Weather 30 degress or colder. It attemps to start, sputters and if you repeately keep trying to start it if will then backfuire and blow the muffler apart !! This has happened Three times !!
I did also have a problem this summer starting it which was a totally new ordeal , like I stated earlier it was always a Cold weather starting problem previously so I did change the cap and rotor (July) and it started up immediately !!
Well here we are and Cold weather approaching and it Again is reverting back to the Hard starting problem
ANY HELP APPRECIATED !!!
Thanks ,
Mark G

Burlington, Canada

#11 Dec 4, 2007
97 astro, 2nd year that the van will not start if it's damp, raining or gets wet. Once for three days in the garage would not start. Then, with no changes at all it just fired up. Changed the wires, ignition module, alternator and battery. Fried the starter from cranking it so much, changed that too. That was last new years. It ran fine all summer. Now coming back from the outlets in grove city to canada, on the highway doing 60 mph a few 18 wheelers spray the front and it rains like hell. The engine for the first time tried to shut off at speed. It sputtered and kept going, it was like the eletrical was cutting out to the engine. Headlights strong and volts read as usual, about 13. Had to pull off the highway. Would run at low rpm but if you tried to rev it it would cut out. Managed to keep it running under gas station covers to dry out the engine. If I tried running at 65 mph it would cut out, if downshifted it to go up a hill it would try to cut out. No engine codes found with my OBDII reader. Anyone know what the hell I should replace next?

If you solve your damp weather astro starting problem, Please email [email protected] I'm stumped.
Mark G

Burlington, Canada

#12 Dec 4, 2007
Kelly

South Haven, MI

#13 Dec 5, 2007
97 Astro AWD. Went out to start his evening (after it had been driven earlier today) and it wont start. I turn the key and the lights turn on and dim immediately out, the head ligts/running lights - the interior lights stay on with no dimming. It seems like it is not going past the relay - I hear a click type noise - like a one way click like it is not completing a circuit or something, from the relay and nothing. It does not sound like the starter engages at all. Anyone that can help would be great.
sdf

Alhambra, CA

#14 Jan 15, 2008
zxfgg
OnSafari

Canada

#15 Jul 30, 2008
Kelly wrote:
97 Astro AWD. Went out to start his evening (after it had been driven earlier today) and it wont start. I turn the key and the lights turn on and dim immediately out, the head ligts/running lights - the interior lights stay on with no dimming. It seems like it is not going past the relay - I hear a click type noise - like a one way click like it is not completing a circuit or something, from the relay and nothing. It does not sound like the starter engages at all. Anyone that can help would be great.
I had similar symptoms as yours. Dimming lights, clock resetting to 1:00, wacky speedometer needle... I would check for a poor ground. Try creating another ground by running a thick gauged cable from the negative terminal of your battery to some bare metal on your engine block. Then try starting your car.
wayne

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Dec 16, 2008
I've a 96 that start great when the temp is above 30, but when it gets cold it doesn't. I have to push it in the garage and after it warms up a bit, it starts fine. I use "Heet" and still no good. I've checked the fuel at the back of the engine and it flows fine. I believe it has to be the fuel pump or the fuel pump regulator. The pump is relatively new. Anyone out there ever solve a problem like this?

Thanks,
Wayne
Jackson

Cambridge, MN

#17 Dec 20, 2008
Have a 96 chevy astro all wheel drive and the longer it sits, the longer it takes to start. Took it to a shop and they said it would be fuel pressure but they were not sure. Has anyone solve this kind of problem on their van and if so, please let me know what you did.
frank

Richmond, IN

#18 Jan 24, 2009
Mark G; sounds like your getting moisture under the distributor cap. check for cracks or poor seal.
Ricky Lee

Sandston, VA

#19 Apr 26, 2009
2000 Astro van.
A few months ago van quit starting in park sometimes so I started using nuetral. About a month ago the gearshift locked up in park and although it was trying to start it would not and the battery ran down. The next morning it started and the gearshift released and was able to get it home. A few days later the same thing happened, it was fine when I parked it but the next morning would not start. It's like its not getting gas or something of that nature. Is the gearshift related or connected to the fuel pump in some way?
Dale

San Antonio, TX

#20 May 5, 2009
We've been fighting a problem on a 1996 Astro. It won't start, when it's wet or humid, until we manually pour some gas in the carburetor. Then it runs fine and will start fine, until it sits overnight. Someone suggested a problem with the distributor cap and rotor, which we replaced. It runs smoother, but didn't fix the problem. The auto shop wants to replace the fuel pump and fuel injectors, but I don't how that could be a problem if it runs after it starts. It's almost like something is telling it not send fuel, until after it starts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Astro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Astro won't start or very hard to start when da... (Aug '07) Jun 23 Herbert Morgan 125
Fuel pressure reglulator Jun 22 david5300 1
astro van rough idle (Oct '07) Jun 22 Dean 36
Water pump and thermostat Jun 5 Theberg78 1
Won't stay running when you stop for a light May 28 oxfordastro 2
Engine shuts down while driving (Mar '09) May 28 Dearun Dumas 48
2002 Chevy Astro Starting problems (May '10) May '16 kenny-g 36
More from around the web