Third-party auto warranties may have a catch | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Teddy Johnson's 2003 Cadillac CTS looks good. Its dark-blue finish is as shiny as ever.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Nov 22, 2010
Hmmmmm

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2010

How do you know which one is good or bad? These 3rd party auto warranties should the attorney general have these on file and would BBB have a rating on them?
Honest Abe

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2010

The dealership that sold the policy should also be accountable.
They made a profit and should back up what they sell.
When I buy something like this I overwrite on the terms to what makes me happy.
Then I tell the seller sign on my dotted line!
Most of the time they will sign just to get the sell.
If they are confident in thier product, they should back it up.
Wait What

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2010

A good friend of mine had a 3rd party auto warranty from a company that has gone bankrupt and disappeared.

That's a different wrinkle on this situation.
Dan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2010

those warranties are nothing but a cheap lousy insurance policy. buyer beware
AreUserious

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

What is the point of this article? What the customer bought was an extended service CONTRACT. A contract is a legal document binding 2 parties. First of all, what idiot pays nearly 3 grand for something and doesn't even read it and secondly, legally this company "Warranty America" cannot pay this claim. It would be a breach of contract. These warranty companies are owned by insurance companies, which in turn pay the claims out of a central fund. If the contract doesn't cover a repair, they cannot get the necessary funds to cover the claim. Come on dude, did you serious spend 3 grand on a contract and not read the fine print. You're stupid, stop blaming the warranty company, they did nothing wrong/illegal/unjust. They are just adhering to the contract you paid for and agreed to.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••