Historic Marble Cliff home goes on auction block

Full story: Columbus Dispatch
Auctioneer Robert Cassel will wield the gavel on Saturday to sell this 1940 Cadillac Fleetwood touring sedan with only 39,000 miles on the odometer. Full Story
stopthewars

Lancaster, OH

#1 Sep 25, 2009
yes lets see-1.1 million-500,000 dollars to the leaches-lawyers, brokers re agents, taxes-no wonder the dude in the picture was smiling-greed is it not wonderful???? Ms. Pastor-may peace be with your soul-no bastards will ever able to auction off your memories.or what is left of your memories ..
MISS ROSIE

Beaver Falls, PA

#2 Sep 25, 2009
How do you convince a woman suffering from dementia to sell all of her belongings.Doers she even know what she is doing or agreeing to? Does she not have family to help her. Can't the court appoint some one to look out for her interests?if there is family, she can give a certain amount to them for the rest of her life every year and not have to pay tax on it. I hope there IS, someone who is watching over her..........not for money, but because they care for her.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Bloomingburg, OH

#3 Sep 26, 2009
These people are not leaches.This is the way of doing business.If you sell your house the real estate agent get 6%.When a person passes away and the estate has to go through probate it is all set in stone by the state of Ohio how much everyone gets paid by percentage of what the estate sells for.There are no scams here.Everything is accounted for.If i was guessing the auctioneer most likely did this sale for 15-20%.But there are several hundreds in costs to put an auction on.1st there are people to sort through and prep the sale,2nd there is the cost of newspaper advertising.Have you price this lately.It is outrageous.3rd there is the help the day of the sale.There maybe 1-3 auctioneers and they all have to be paid.Then there are clerks for each auctioneer to write down on those little cards who bought it and for how much.Then there is the clerk that takes your money when you are done buying.Then at auctions end there is the cleanup.i.e. taking down the tables,cleaning up all of the junk that was left behind in the yard.Now,this Cassell was selling the house.He has to take the time to show the home to potential buyers.Then he has to also run ads in the papers and real estate to get interest in the property.He gets 6% for this service.This is no different than if this women would have listed it with a realtor.Then everything sells,the house,the cars and the contents of the home.The state of Ohio then dictates how much the attorney gets for filing all of the paperwork through the courts.The exactor is paid i think it is 8% of the total the sale sold for.Then there are state,federal and county taxes that need to be taken care of.So as you can see there is allot of cost when a loved one passes away.Not everyone is a crook.
MISS ROSIE

Beaver Falls, PA

#4 Sep 27, 2009
An estate does not have to go thru probate if there is a will or estate planning ahead of time.This lady needs someone looking out for her best interest.From the story I read, it doesn't appear to be that way. I could be wrong......and I hope I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cadillac Fleetwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Celebrating a colorful car culture (Apr '12) Apr '12 paul shykora ARTs 1
Classic cars, trucks on display at Glennville D... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Anon 1
Hate It Or Love It - 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood - ... (Dec '10) Dec '10 Bripery 2
Cadillac Fleetwood Resource Center (Jun '09) Jun '09 Jason Nickolay 1
Lac (May '09) May '09 lcdc 1
Hate It Or Love It - 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood - ... (Jan '09) Jan '09 budzz 1
Evidence links human remains to missing person (Oct '08) Oct '08 Relative 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••