buick skylark-1994 3.1 v6 PLEASE HELP

Posted in the Buick Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bob

United States

#1 Sep 22, 2006
hi i could really use help tryin to find out what is causing my skylark to frikin leak oil. I had a guy look at it and he found a loose bolt on the back gasket which leaked like a siv. so he tightend it to the best of his ability that fixed the problem for most of the day... could the oil sending unit be bad and causing it to leak. and if its possible that that may be it can u give me an idea of ware it should be on this model car. cause i cant find the dumb thing.

another problem but this one isnt as bad ok.... if u let the car just sit in the same spot for about 20 mins and then u start it up and give it some gas (normal acceloration) it will quit almost guarenteed but then it starts right back up again and drives away without a hitch could that be a bad connection with the gasline line connecting with the engine because it would seem that when u get a steady streem of gas going through that the car runs like a champ. but when u dont run it seems to get like a spot in the line with no gas. that is the best i can describe the problem and thanks a ton if u can even hint me on what it might be. The mileage of the car is 128000
Thanks
Bob
Perspective

United States

#2 Sep 23, 2006
Your oil leak could be either of your valve cover gaskets (on front and back sides of your engine); at the oil pan (underneath), or at the oil pressure sending unit. Those are, at least, the three most likely places.

Provided that you've changed your oil regularly, the oil-pressure sending unit is the most likely source of your leak.

On a 3.1-liter V6, I believe the sending unit is toward the back, upper side of the block. Go down to your local Murray's or Autozone, and look in a Chilton's or Haynes manual. Figure about $20-$45 for a sending unit, depending on whether it incorporates fuel pressure cut-off. It's an easy replacement (screws in).

As for your other problem, I'd recommend you first check for any vacuum/ exhaust leaks. There aren't too many vacuum lines on a 3.1-liter V6, and you'll want to make sure all of them are solid, and firmly connected. Then, change the following:

* air filter
* six spark plugs
* PCV
* fuel filter
* O2 sensor

Depending the quality of parts you get, figure at least $70.

Having changed these, disconnect your negative battery cable for, oh, about a minute. Reconnect it, restart the car, and watch for a Check Engine light.

Have your local Autozone diagnose the code, and then change what comes up, disconnecting the battery again to clear the code. If changing the fuel filter does not solve it, my guess would be an EGR-related problem.

Hope this helps.
bob

United States

#3 Sep 23, 2006
thanks alot i do change the oil every 3000 miles and not one over. i change the oil filter att he same time. youve been a big help.
thanks again
BOB
iowa wrench

San Francisco, CA

#4 Oct 31, 2006
bob wrote:
hi i could really use help tryin to find out what is causing my skylark to frikin leak oil. I had a guy look at it and he found a loose bolt on the back gasket which leaked like a siv. so he tightend it to the best of his ability that fixed the problem for most of the day... could the oil sending unit be bad and causing it to leak. and if its possible that that may be it can u give me an idea of ware it should be on this model car. cause i cant find the dumb thing.
another problem but this one isnt as bad ok.... if u let the car just sit in the same spot for about 20 mins and then u start it up and give it some gas (normal acceloration) it will quit almost guarenteed but then it starts right back up again and drives away without a hitch could that be a bad connection with the gasline line connecting with the engine because it would seem that when u get a steady streem of gas going through that the car runs like a champ. but when u dont run it seems to get like a spot in the line with no gas. that is the best i can describe the problem and thanks a ton if u can even hint me on what it might be. The mileage of the car is 128000
Thanks
Bob
I wouldd tell you to look for an oil leak at the oil pump drive it will leak on top of the motor and run down the front side on the bell housing. I have replaced many of these and it is a simple job. As for you fuel problem check the filter and tank vent for obstructions .. hope i could help
bob

United States

#5 Nov 1, 2006
Thanks I just had the back gasket changed and that fixed the oil problem except for an extremely small drip once in a while so maby that is the problem. And for the gas problem we ran some fuel injector cleaner throug the system and it seemes to be a ton better. so we are gonna keep running the injector cleaner through the system.
Thanks
Bob
James Rick

Wellington, OH

#6 Jan 28, 2007
Yasaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
cam daley

AOL

#7 Mar 26, 2007
i have a 95 beretta that leaks oil around the back valve cover. it leaks like crazy i have had it in to the mechanic several times and it runs good for about five minutes and it starts leaking again. My beretta also likes to die when it is idleing and when you slow down and stop at a stop sighn i was wondering if anyone of you could tell me what might be wrong with it
tito

Chicago, IL

#8 Aug 10, 2007
cam daley wrote:
i have a 95 beretta that leaks oil around the back valve cover. it leaks like crazy i have had it in to the mechanic several times and it runs good for about five minutes and it starts leaking again. My beretta also likes to die when it is idleing and when you slow down and stop at a stop sighn i was wondering if anyone of you could tell me what might be wrong with it
i had one that did that and it went away when i replaced the egr valve and made a catalytic converter delete pipe. technically the delete pipe is illegal, so id check into the egr valve.
Lee

Hickory Hills, IL

#9 Sep 2, 2007
I am trying to replace my thermostat on my 1994 buick skylark because I can't afford to take it to the shop. Where exactly is it located on the engine and where can I see a picture of the location? Thanks in advance for your help
Debbie Passa

Atlantic City, NJ

#10 Sep 9, 2007
Just noticed oil leaking along the passenger side of car. 2005 Lexus 330. Never any problem before. I am up for an oil change. could it be the filter????? Help
Kev

Alexandria, VA

#11 Jan 1, 2008
Oil presure sending unit keep breaking on a 3.1 Buick Lesabre can u help
Doug

Miamisburg, OH

#12 Feb 5, 2008
I own a 1994 Buick Skylark Custom 3.1 liter V6. Anytime it is raining, or snowing I'll be driving down the highway and at 55mph the whole front end shakes. I'll let off the gas for a second and it stops and I get back on it and continue to accelarate until it does it again. Let off the gas for a second and its fine for a minute or two. What the hell is going on with my Buick? Any help or tips would be great.
Japanese guy

AOL

#13 Feb 7, 2008
YOU WANT QUALITY CAR!?! WHY DONT YOU BUY TOYOTA OR HONDA???

“Drive safely...”

Since: Nov 07

Newport, RI

#14 Feb 8, 2008
TO: bob

Never seen an oil sending unit leak enough to be noticeable, I can't remember the FWD 3.1 too well, but if it has a right angle oil filter adapter like the RWD 2.8's, it could be leaking there, or the plug that takes the place of the distributor since it no longer has one. Those are the most common and hard to trace leaks I know of in a 60 degree motor.

No idea on the 2nd problem, maybe a weak fuel pump, I'd pressure test the pump before anything else.
Luke

Charleroi, PA

#15 May 3, 2008
Where are the spark plugs located at in a 1994 Buick Skylark Quad OHC 4 cylinder?
Luke

Charleroi, PA

#16 May 3, 2008
Where are the spark plugs located at on a 1994 Buick Skylark OHC 4 Cylinder Engine?
Figured it out myself

Dallas, TX

#17 May 3, 2008
Luke wrote:
Where are the spark plugs located at on a 1994 Buick Skylark OHC 4 Cylinder Engine?
They are under the top cover of the engine. The one that says "Quad". There are two bolts on top and two on the back side toward the firewall.
Pat

Greenville, OH

#18 Feb 9, 2009
My buick skylark with a 3.1 won't start. It has spark and I changed the fuel pump. I can jump across the fuel pump relay and I have a constant 45psi fuel pressure, the car still won't start. The car will run on either so I know its fuel related. I can't get to the injectors because the upper pleniom is in the way. What drives the injectors and how do you check it?
Tim

United States

#19 Mar 30, 2009
did you ever find out what was wrong with this car i have the same thing wrong tryed new tires ,ball joints new wires and plugs still have not fixed whats wrong if you can help please do
Doug wrote:
I own a 1994 Buick Skylark Custom 3.1 liter V6. Anytime it is raining, or snowing I'll be driving down the highway and at 55mph the whole front end shakes. I'll let off the gas for a second and it stops and I get back on it and continue to accelarate until it does it again. Let off the gas for a second and its fine for a minute or two. What the hell is going on with my Buick? Any help or tips would be great.
johnnan

Seattle, WA

#20 Aug 24, 2009
94 cavelier 3.1 liter engine. no power when given gas and quits and runs very rough. if left to idle; it will run for about 15 minutes with the rpms going up and down, then rev way up before quiting. up to my ears with frustration. NEED HELP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is the blower motor resistor? (Jul '06) Jul 31 Fada 235
News Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Jul 28 MikieB 758
Owners of Buick Lucerne (Dec '06) Jun '16 Gottrocks 55
News Buick Park Avenue (Mar '06) Jun '16 Dmb1983 450
News GM will invest $83 million more in its Toledo t... (Jul '11) May '16 David Reedy 10
1996 buick lesabra May '16 khenlely20 1
News Buick Lacrosse Hybrid unveiled at Beijing Auto ... Apr '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web