Buick Park Avenue

Buick Park Avenue

There are 450 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Mar 15, 2006, titled Buick Park Avenue. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by sysop in the Buick Sedans Message Board. Your Host is pat What is this discussion about? Buick Park Avenue, Sedan, Auto News, Opinion, Car Photos, Car Reviews # 305 of 314 Re: Fuel gauge fix ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Tony

Dover, NH

#87 Jan 21, 2007
stub wrote:
Have a 1998 Buick LeSabre that is low on coolant. It is also overfull on oil according to the dipstick. I am assuming that the antifreeze somehow got into the crankcase. Check engine light is sometimes flashing and sometimes on steady. How much trouble am I in.
Stub, it's bad but not as bad as you think. Stop driving it. The upper intake on those engines is made of plastic. The EGR tube runs through the intake right behind the throttle body and eventually the heat fron the exhaust gasses erodes the plastic resulting in a coolant leak. Expect a $400 repair or so provided this is the problem. The flashing Check Engine lamp is caused by an engine misfire which is severe enough to damage the catalytic converter.
Tim

Tucson, AZ

#88 Jan 24, 2007
Marty wrote:
I have a 96 Buick Park Avenue. Whenever I try to start it, it sometime starts sometime not. After it set for about 15-20 min. it will usually start. I changed the starter and new battery, still does the same thing. Any suggestions?
I would check the map sensor, it runs the timing chain a fuel use.I had a car that did the same thing and when it started to really go back I would be driving down the road and it would die when I was going 55 down the road but its not cheap for most cars so I would go to your Auto Zone .They have code checker and its free but I would a head of time to make sure they are not to bussy you don't want to wait all day for them to come out check it for you.Most people don't know that Auto zone dose that.I would try that first.
Tim

Tucson, AZ

#89 Jan 24, 2007
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. I know "of" the Dynaride system, but have not worked with it. I didn't know it would come on with the engine off. Anybody else know anything about Dynaride?
Well it sounds like you have a air ride on your car.If it was me I would just put air shocks on it and just be done with it , I had a car that had an air ride on it and I just put air shocks on it cause you are looking at some money if you want to fix it cause most of the times you have replace it all.I know on town cars its a 1000 a piece and thats not the labor in it.Good luck
Steve

Riverton, WY

#90 Jan 26, 2007
Lola C wrote:
Hi! Help! I have a 1991 Buick Park Avenue V6 3.8Liter engine. Recently it is not wanting to go after stopping at a red light or stop sign. It has hestitated then abruptly shifted into gear. Last nite it did it when I slowed for a red light that then turned green so I did not come to a complete stop. When i pressed the gas it reved the engine and hestitated the kicked ito gear. I also tried shifting into overdrive or drive 1 and 2 and even reverse and it didnot want to go for about 5 sec. Please tell me it is not the transmission going out!
I also have a 1991 Park Avenue that hesitates before it will start to move. This is especially true in cold weather. I had the transmission flushed and it helped the problem
Steve

Riverton, WY

#91 Jan 26, 2007
I have a 1991 Park Avenue and the low beams do not work. I have replaced the head lamps and the dimmer switch. Now the high beams will go out on an intermittent basis, which is very scary at 60 MPH at night. Any ideas about what the problem may be?
Martie

Little Rock, AR

#92 Jan 26, 2007
Arnie wrote:
1990 buick park avenue with 3800 motor - had fuel injectors flushed and now the level of oil seems to rise (garage seems to think there is gas going into it). changed spark plugs, new oxygen sensor, flushed injectors again, pressure test on injectors indicted no problem but oil is still rising (as opposed to using oil)
ANY SUGGESTIONS
. Put DYE in radiator and see if any shows in oil. Antifreeze can be getting in oil. Also change oil filter, you can check for gas when you change the oil. Sniff the drained oil away from the car.
Martie

Little Rock, AR

#93 Jan 26, 2007
Nelson wrote:
My 96 Park Avenue "Coolant Low" indicator came on a moth or so ago. I checked the coolant and it was fine. Also, no overheatng problem at all. Normal. Now the heater suddenly stopped putting out warm air even though the fan blows like always. Anyone else ever experience this?
Change your thermostat and be sure to bleed the air out. You bleed it out where the upper radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing. If you don't bleed it out "coolant Low" will come on randomly.
Martie

Little Rock, AR

#94 Jan 26, 2007
Jack wrote:
My mother has a 2001 Park Avenue and recently had a flat tire. The low tire pressure light came on as it should but now will not reset. I've tried to reset it by pressing the reset button and the gage info button on the DIC, but it still shows low tire pressure. All tire pressures are at the proper 30 psi. Any ideas???
Put 35 lbs in one tire drive around block. Repeat process until light goes out. The tire that fixed it may need to have the valve stem and sensor replaced. likely dirty or cracked sensor. Or replace the valve stem and sensor in the tire you had a flat on the sensor may have brocken.
Alan

Beaverton, OR

#95 Jan 27, 2007
my 98 park avenue had the check engine light flash on and started losing power,it rean perfect up to that point,i was able to limp it home and then after shutting it off it turns over but wont start.
I changed the battery prior to this happening.
Help
Alan

Beaverton, OR

#96 Jan 27, 2007
where is the fuel pump reset button on a 98 buick park avenue.
Ernie Carter

Tomball, TX

#97 Jan 27, 2007
terry wrote:
hi guys, got a 1990 buick park ave,3.8L. when i turn off the car, a hum noise starts in the front of the engine. it will hum while the car is parked, every 5 minutes. I have owned the car for several years and the hum was always there shortly after parking the car, but now it comes on so often that it drains the battery. it sounds like an air pump that keeps coming on. now that it is cold, the battery dies fast. give me a clue, please
You are right, it is an air pump for the automatic leveling system. It will come on automatically to raise the the rear of the car to maintain a level ride hight by adding air to the rear air adjustable springs. If you park on an up hill grade they will always activate a few seconds after you park.
bowfan in Stockbridge

Phenix City, AL

#98 Jan 28, 2007
Cynthia wrote:
I have a 97 buick park avenue. I do not know where the turn signal flasher goes. Do you have to put it in from under the dash?
The 97+ BPAs don't have the simple turn signal flasher under the dash anymore. Now they have a flasher module, way up under the dash. To replace it you have to pull the entire dashboard and steering column. I just did it because my right turn signal quit working, and unfortunately, it didn't fix it. Turns out that it was my multi-function switch on the steering column. The one that controls your wipers, turns, and cruise. As it gets old, it can't handle the electrical load. The MFS costs about $350 aftermarket and takes about 20 minutes to replace if you have the right metric and torx tools. A simpler fix is to pull out the failed side cornering lamp and see if the turn signal works again. The cornering lamp is the bright white lamp that lights when your turn signal is on. Hope this helps.
James

Dousman, WI

#99 Jan 28, 2007
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. I know "of" the Dynaride system, but have not worked with it. I didn't know it would come on with the engine off. Anybody else know anything about Dynaride?
You need to replace the rear air shocks, they
develope leaks. Pump does run with key off.
tammy

Fairborn, OH

#100 Feb 1, 2007
I have a 95' Park Avenue and recently had the brake pads replaced but my brake light along with the chime is going off everytime I drive it and when I come to a stop the chime stops. Any clue as to what might be wrong? Advise?
rich weise

Woodland, MI

#101 Feb 2, 2007
1999 park ave misses or "stumbles" at 40-50mph when it needs to climb a slight hill. Any thoughts? Fuel Filter, dirty injectors? 130000 hiway miles. If its the fuel filter--where is it please?

thanks
Marty

Derby, KS

#102 Feb 5, 2007
tammy wrote:
I have a 95' Park Avenue and recently had the brake pads replaced but my brake light along with the chime is going off everytime I drive it and when I come to a stop the chime stops. Any clue as to what might be wrong? Advise?
Go back to whoever did your brakes, this is not good. It may be unsafe. If you don't trust them, get the brakes fixed at a reliable shop, document the problem, then seek recourse with the first shop. But your brakes and car should not do this! Get it fixed!
patrick

Salmon Arm, Canada

#103 Feb 5, 2007
I have an 89 park avenue and having trouble starting cold below -2. It turns over but backfires like it is only catching on 4or 6 cyliners. If I plug it in no problem. I have tuneup with wires, new temp sensor and engine temp sensor to no avail. Anyone had this problem
Mike

Roseville, CA

#104 Feb 9, 2007
Jack wrote:
My mother has a 2001 Park Avenue and recently had a flat tire. The low tire pressure light came on as it should but now will not reset. I've tried to reset it by pressing the reset button and the gage info button on the DIC, but it still shows low tire pressure. All tire pressures are at the proper 30 psi. Any ideas???
You have to hold down the reset button for like 5-10 seconds.

Good Luck
Mike

Roseville, CA

#105 Feb 9, 2007
You have to hold down the reset button for like 5-10 seconds.

Good Luck
GREG

Portage, MI

#106 Feb 9, 2007
1989 BUICK PARKAVE WITH 3.8 ENGINE. WHEN THE CAR IS COLD THE ENGINE RECIEVES TOO MUCH GAS AND WONT START. WHEN UNIT IS WARM UNIT STARTS PROPERLY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Owners of Buick Lucerne (Dec '06) Fri mikeusa8520 59
News Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Nov 16 dennis bakke 764
Help Oct '16 Anonymous 2
News GM workers in Oshawa, Ont., brace for 'the figh... Sep '16 more 1
Where is the blower motor resistor? (Jul '06) Jul '16 Fada 235
News GM will invest $83 million more in its Toledo t... (Jul '11) May '16 David Reedy 10
1996 buick lesabra (May '16) May '16 khenlely20 1
More from around the web