Buick Park Avenue

Buick Park Avenue

There are 449 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Mar 15, 2006, titled Buick Park Avenue. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by sysop in the Buick Sedans Message Board. Your Host is pat What is this discussion about? Buick Park Avenue, Sedan, Auto News, Opinion, Car Photos, Car Reviews # 305 of 314 Re: Fuel gauge fix ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Jack

United States

#67 Dec 18, 2006
My mother has a 2001 Park Avenue and recently had a flat tire. The low tire pressure light came on as it should but now will not reset. I've tried to reset it by pressing the reset button and the gage info button on the DIC, but it still shows low tire pressure. All tire pressures are at the proper 30 psi. Any ideas???
Crystal Morris

United States

#68 Jan 2, 2007
HEY BARBARA. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1989 BUICK PARK AVENUE ELECTRA. IT DIED ONE DAY WHILE I WAS HEADING HOME. THE MECHANIC TRIED EVERYTHING. FINALLY HE CHANGED OUT THREE OF THE SENSORS. THE OXYGEN SENSOR, CAM SHAFT SENSOR, AND FEUL SENSOR. THEY WENT OUT LIKE DOMINOES. WHEN HE CHANGED THEM....IT FINALLY STARTED. THE THING WITH PARK AVENUES, IS....THE SOLONOID ON THE ENGINE WILL COME OFF AND LITERALLY STICK TO THE INSIDE OF THE ENGINE CASING. THAT MAKES THE LIGHT GO ON TO FIX ENGINE. HOPE THAT HELPS. E MAIL ME AT [email protected] MAKE SURE MY ENTIRE E MAIL ADDY IS IN LOWER CASE LETTERS. CRYSTAL IN AMARILLO.
Crystal Morris

United States

#69 Jan 2, 2007
GARY IS RIGHT, THE CRANK POSITON SENSOR IS BROKE ON MINE. IT GUTS IN AND OUT OF IDLE ALL THE TIME. SOMETIMES IT DIES AND RESTARTS WHILE GOING DOWN THE STREET. DEFINATELY GET THAT CHECKED. THATS WHAT I REFERED TO AS THE SOLONOID. GOOD LUCK.
Anita

Farmington, MN

#70 Jan 4, 2007
Bill O wrote:
<quoted text>
Dawn, I had a similar problem with a 1999 Park Avenue. It was frustrating because it would die just going down the road. It usually started back but one day didn't and I had it towed. Finally a mechanic found a short with some wiring under the back seat.
I have a 1991 park ave ultra that would die on me without warning.Will not crank right away,but when it wants to.Replaced the IAT sensor,crankshaft sensor, fuel pump,still intermittent.Fuel pressure tests okay. Any ideas or previous problems of the same that have been fixed? Please Help
Anita

Farmington, MN

#71 Jan 4, 2007
I have a 1991 park ave ultra that would die on me without warning.Will not crank right away,but when it wants to.Replaced the IAT sensor,crankshaft sensor, fuel pump,still intermittent.Fuel pressure tests okay. Any ideas or previous problems of the same that have been fixed? Please Help
Bev

AOL

#72 Jan 10, 2007
I have a 1992 Park Avenue that was running great, I keep up maintenance on a regular basis. Recently it started jerking really bad, it was determined that the engine mounts were broken so I had them replaced. It then continued to jerk and I was told to have the catalytic conventor replaced and it still jerks when I get to approximately 40 miles. The muffler shop said it could be a cold pack and I need to know if it will hurt to drive the car. Thank You
Jethro

Newton Grove, NC

#73 Jan 10, 2007
Dawn (and all others with a dying Buick PA)- All of the GM3800 engines from 88 thru at least 98 have problems with the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. The prblem often surfaces as an intermittent failure which means the car will run fine for a while (in my case sometimes for days or weeks) then all of a sudden it simply dies. The sensors mentioned tell the computer when to open/close the injectors and fire the sparkplug. If there is no signal from the sensor the computer doesn't do either of these. I had mechanic after mechanic tell me these sensors either fail all at once or they work (not intermittently). They were wrong. I replced the parts myself (though I am a bit of a grease monley) with a total cost of under $50. That was over 80K miles ago with no problems since.
Dawn wrote:
I have a 97 Buick Park Avenue and whenI am driving even going 60 down the highway it will die. I have to shift to neutral and restart it. I have had it to the dealer here and they tell me that it isn't showing a code there fore they don't have any ideas what could be wrong I then took it to a garage they say they drove it around a week and it never did it to them so they couldn't fix anything. I got it home and the same day it died on me twice almose causing an accident. there have been a couple of times that I have shut it off and when I tried to restart it it turned over but wouldn't start. Any ideas it is my only transportation and I need it to continue to run. Help Me Please.
terry

United States

#74 Jan 16, 2007
hi guys, got a 1990 buick park ave,3.8L. when i turn off the car, a hum noise starts in the front of the engine. it will hum while the car is parked, every 5 minutes. I have owned the car for several years and the hum was always there shortly after parking the car, but now it comes on so often that it drains the battery. it sounds like an air pump that keeps coming on. now that it is cold, the battery dies fast. give me a clue, please
Marty

Derby, KS

#75 Jan 17, 2007
terry wrote:
hi guys, got a 1990 buick park ave,3.8L. when i turn off the car, a hum noise starts in the front of the engine. it will hum while the car is parked, every 5 minutes. I have owned the car for several years and the hum was always there shortly after parking the car, but now it comes on so often that it drains the battery. it sounds like an air pump that keeps coming on. now that it is cold, the battery dies fast. give me a clue, please
Terry, it sounds to me like the electric fan, which cools the radiator, and is powered by the battery. It will come on regardless of whether the engine is running or not. When the engine is not running, coolant is not flowing through the radiator. Therefore, it shouldn't be that long of a deal to cool the radiator. 5 min's should not drain the battery. It sounds like your car is reacting to a very hot situation. Is it hot where you are now? Does the temp gauge read normal, or hot? Is the car in a confined garage, with no air flow? Focus on your cooling system, and you should find the problem. BTW, you might have a weak battery if it dies with just a small amount of fan operation. Too much, on the other hand, can kill any battery.
Marty

Derby, KS

#76 Jan 17, 2007
Terry, one more thought. If the temp of the engine and radiator are fine, and it is not hot where you are parked, then I would suspect a faulty high temperature sensor. The "switch" that turns the fan on/off. It's probably a two-wire sensor, located in the radiator. If defective, it's acting as if the temp is too hot, even when it is not. If this is the case, the fix is easy and cheap.
Jose

AOL

#77 Jan 17, 2007
I have an 89 Buick Park Avenue V8 3.8l. The car turns off when warm and while running. Gives me a hard time turning back on. It will turn on after 15-20 minutes. Took to mechanic twice and they can't find anything wrong withthe car. Battery, alternator and starter are good. Please help
terry

United States

#78 Jan 17, 2007
Marty wrote:
Terry, one more thought. If the temp of the engine and radiator are fine, and it is not hot where you are parked, then I would suspect a faulty high temperature sensor. The "switch" that turns the fan on/off. It's probably a two-wire sensor, located in the radiator. If defective, it's acting as if the temp is too hot, even when it is not. If this is the case, the fix is easy and cheap.
the temp guade is at normal levels. the temp here is about 16 degrees, so a bad sensor is porbably the cause. i got the car to the shop and it stalled once on the way, but started right back up. the stalling issue just started. this morning i charged the batt. and let the car run for 45 mins. before heading to the shop. the idle would suddenly drop off and the car would almost stall during that 45mins. the change in weather may be a factor, since last week we set record high temps for january. then we got hit with an ice storm and bitter cold temps. my mechanic said the damp warm wx we had and now the big freeze may have caused problems with diodes and sensors. i will let you know what happens at the shop. i trust this shop a lot because i have used them for years and they also service all my fleet cars and trucks from work. thanks for the advice, i will let you know what the shop finds.
Marty

Derby, KS

#79 Jan 18, 2007
terry wrote:
<quoted text>the temp guade is at normal levels. the temp here is about 16 degrees, so a bad sensor is porbably the cause. i got the car to the shop and it stalled once on the way, but started right back up. the stalling issue just started. this morning i charged the batt. and let the car run for 45 mins. before heading to the shop. the idle would suddenly drop off and the car would almost stall during that 45mins. the change in weather may be a factor, since last week we set record high temps for january. then we got hit with an ice storm and bitter cold temps. my mechanic said the damp warm wx we had and now the big freeze may have caused problems with diodes and sensors. i will let you know what happens at the shop. i trust this shop a lot because i have used them for years and they also service all my fleet cars and trucks from work. thanks for the advice, i will let you know what the shop finds.
Terry, thanks for the reply. I think we're on to something regarding the high and low temps. I believe it is a sensor. I'm glad you're working with a shop that you trust. I'm anxious to see your results, and hope for you that it is only a cheap, and easy-to-replace sensor. Good luck!
Cynthia

Huntington, WV

#80 Jan 18, 2007
I have a 97 buick park avenue. I do not know where the turn signal flasher goes. Do you have to put it in from under the dash?
terry

United States

#81 Jan 18, 2007
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
Terry, thanks for the reply. I think we're on to something regarding the high and low temps. I believe it is a sensor. I'm glad you're working with a shop that you trust. I'm anxious to see your results, and hope for you that it is only a cheap, and easy-to-replace sensor. Good luck!
no word from the shop. im off this week and i didnt call them. i could tell he was busy. so i told him to take his time. i have another car to drive,1990 lincoln cont. i bought for $300. just put it on the road 2 weeks ago, so that worked out well. the lincoln has 95,000 and hits 1st gear hard. the other gears shift smooth. it has a new alt. and batt. i will updade you soon.
Marty

Derby, KS

#82 Jan 20, 2007
Cynthia wrote:
I have a 97 buick park avenue. I do not know where the turn signal flasher goes. Do you have to put it in from under the dash?
Cynthia, I don't know your model for sure, but the first place to look is the fuse block under the driver's side of the dash (inside the car.) Best place to look is the owner's manual, if you have one. Let us all know what you found out! Thanks
terry

United States

#83 Jan 20, 2007
the shop says that it not the fan coming on, its the air pump suspension system that has a poss leak. the system pumps up the suspension when there is a lot of wait in the car and makes adjustments. the car is equipped with dynaride suspension system if that means anything. so when the air leaks out the pump turns on, even when the car is off. the shop is gonna keep it through monday, i told them i was in no hurry.
Marty

Derby, KS

#84 Jan 21, 2007
terry wrote:
the shop says that it not the fan coming on, its the air pump suspension system that has a poss leak. the system pumps up the suspension when there is a lot of wait in the car and makes adjustments. the car is equipped with dynaride suspension system if that means anything. so when the air leaks out the pump turns on, even when the car is off. the shop is gonna keep it through monday, i told them i was in no hurry.
That's interesting. I know "of" the Dynaride system, but have not worked with it. I didn't know it would come on with the engine off. Anybody else know anything about Dynaride?
stub

Benkelman, NE

#85 Jan 21, 2007
Have a 1998 Buick LeSabre that is low on coolant. It is also overfull on oil according to the dipstick. I am assuming that the antifreeze somehow got into the crankcase. Check engine light is sometimes flashing and sometimes on steady. How much trouble am I in.
Tony

Dover, NH

#86 Jan 21, 2007
Marty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. I know "of" the Dynaride system, but have not worked with it. I didn't know it would come on with the engine off. Anybody else know anything about Dynaride?
It's not Dynaride, it's just air leveling suspension. it only works the rear suspension. there is a level sensor attached to the right rear lower control arm via a rod which gives tells the system how high/low the rear suspension is. If it's too low the pump runs to inflate the rear shocks to return it to proper ride height. I guess it's so the cops can't tell if you've got a body in the trunk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Sep 13 SDGoldpanner 779
2016 envision Aug '17 John 2
News Chevy Trax crossover eclipses Sonic subcompact car Jun '17 Wimsey 1
Poll Why does canada suck (Jul '08) Jun '17 mystic 47
News US Probes GM Headlight Failures, May Add Vehicl... Jun '17 Time machine 063 1
News China's Buick Velite 5 is a Volt with a nose job Jun '17 Over Priced Cruze 4
Owners of Buick Lucerne (Dec '06) May '17 Damn 60
More from around the web