Ask the Auto Doctor

Ask the Auto Doctor

There are 14 comments on the Independent Record story from Dec 8, 2007, titled Ask the Auto Doctor. In it, Independent Record reports that:

Dear Doctor: I own a 2005 Ford Freestar that I purchased with 11,000 miles, and it has always run fine. via Independent Record

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Independent Record.

Barron in Tucson Az

AOL

#1 Dec 11, 2007
I have a 1993 ford ranger, 4.0 V-6 4x4 W/ 5 sp stadard trans. The clutch is not releaseing to allow the transmission to engage w/ the engine. Clutch and slave cylinder are less than a year old. I've tried bleeding the slave cyl. w/ no luck. With engine running I can shift between gears without depressing the pedal. Can you tell me what I'm looking at??? Thanks for your time.
Alex in Edmonton

Edmonton, Canada

#2 Dec 19, 2007
I have 04 Ford Freestar. While driving it would misfire & backfire and screech/squeal with a lot of jerking and then it will settle down and run smoothly. I have had the dealer & repair shop look through. The serpentine belt has been replaced with all the spark plugs & ignition wires & fuel filter. The problem remains. I have spent about $1000 and seem at a loss because the dealer can't help either. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance & merry Christmas.
04 Ford Frestar

Riverview, Canada

#4 Mar 13, 2008
Alex in Edmonton wrote:
I have 04 Ford Freestar. While driving it would misfire & backfire and screech/squeal with a lot of jerking and then it will settle down and run smoothly. I have had the dealer & repair shop look through. The serpentine belt has been replaced with all the spark plugs & ignition wires & fuel filter. The problem remains. I have spent about $1000 and seem at a loss because the dealer can't help either. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance & merry Christmas.
Try replacing the ignition coil,I had the same problem
Tom

San Ramon, CA

#5 Jun 24, 2008
04 Ford Frestar wrote:
<quoted text>Try replacing the ignition coil,I had the same problem
I had the same problem, replace the coil, wires,and plugs, worked perfect for 895 miles and now giving #5 cylinder misfire and misfires under 1000 rpm. any suggestions. Check the plug and it is firing.
Michael

Lilesville, NC

#6 Aug 18, 2011
My 2004 Ford Freestar is not allowing any of the doors to lock. At first it was intermittant. Now, it's constant. When I use the wireless remote key or the actual door lock, I hear a clicking (like a relay) under the dash. I'm reasonably sure it's the module that powers the doors but can't find it. Do you agree? What is the part? An ECM or BCM?
The "autolock" feature (where the doors automatically lock when you put the card in "drive") also doesn't work anymore.
Maria - 2005 Freestar

Warren, MI

#7 Sep 21, 2011
My odometer light is not working. Its a digital read out. I can see it faintly at night time.
kathy

Center Barnstead, NH

#8 Oct 8, 2011
hi I have a 2007 ford freestar when I go in reverce it makes a weird rumbeling noise in the front of the van what could this be thanks
roger Conner

Nashville, TN

#9 Jan 13, 2012
I have a 1997 Buick LeSabre. First the gas gauge went, now the odometer stops working until the car runs for 10 - 15 minutes. Mechanic says its a 1K fix. Yipes. Any options???
Anonymous

Wake Forest, NC

#10 May 18, 2012
Michael wrote:
My 2004 Ford Freestar is not allowing any of the doors to lock. At first it was intermittant. Now, it's constant. When I use the wireless remote key or the actual door lock, I hear a clicking (like a relay) under the dash. I'm reasonably sure it's the module that powers the doors but can't find it. Do you agree? What is the part? An ECM or BCM?
The "autolock" feature (where the doors automatically lock when you put the card in "drive") also doesn't work anymore.
Michael,
Were you able to figure out this problem? I have it as well, exactly as you describe. Unlocking works fine but not locking.

Thanks for any info you might have!

Matt
helene

Laval, Canada

#11 Aug 29, 2014
I have. Wheel bearing prpblems any commenté on the replcement
scott66

Fairview, TN

#12 Dec 16, 2014
My 2004 ford free star van after it warms up ,the transaxile light starts blinking what can this be?
traym4

Arlington, VA

#13 Dec 30, 2014
roger Conner wrote:
I have a 1997 Buick LeSabre. First the gas gauge went, now the odometer stops working until the car runs for 10 - 15 minutes. Mechanic says its a 1K fix. Yipes. Any options???
Did yu find a solotion yet i have tha same problem an now i cant pump my gas n at the station i have to do it manually smh mechanic says it may need the tank and neck to reset the gauge
japple

Wood River, IL

#14 Jan 6, 2015
I just purchased an '03 Buick LeSabre Limited. Having problems with the interior lights. Keeps blowing fuses. When I replace the fuse the dome lights, courtesy lights, vanity lights, etc. all work for a short time until the fuse blows again. Also, the dome lights do not come on at any time when I open the door. In addition I've noticed that the radio doesn't go off when I turn the ignition off and open the door. Is this normal?
Cmizzoni

Hornell, NY

#15 Apr 6, 2017
I just had a new and sensor installed in my 2005 Ford Cree style and the light will not go off

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Sep 13 SDGoldpanner 779
2016 envision Aug '17 John 2
News Chevy Trax crossover eclipses Sonic subcompact car Jun '17 Wimsey 1
Poll Why does canada suck (Jul '08) Jun '17 mystic 47
News US Probes GM Headlight Failures, May Add Vehicl... Jun '17 Time machine 063 1
News China's Buick Velite 5 is a Volt with a nose job Jun '17 Over Priced Cruze 4
Owners of Buick Lucerne (Dec '06) May '17 Damn 60
More from around the web