Crankshaft sensor replacement - 1992 ...

Crankshaft sensor replacement - 1992 Buick Regal 3.8L -3coil V6

Posted in the Buick Regal Forum

San Antonio, TX

#1 Aug 21, 2006
Do you have to remove the harmonic balance to gain access to the crankshaft sensor? Someone is telling me no, but I can't see any other way. There is also what appears to be a hard plastic shield that I can't see any other way of removing to uncover the sensor accept by removing gaining access to the H/balance, then removing the shield, then you have access to the sensor. Am I wrong? HELP!

San Antonio, TX

#2 Aug 21, 2006
I think this makes more sense on my second sentence.

There is also what appears to be a hard plastic shield that I can't see any other way of removing (to uncover the sensor) accept by removing the H/balance, then removing the shield, then you have access to the sensor.

East Orange, NJ

#3 Nov 29, 2007
Dear John T: I have a '92 Buick Park Ave with a bad crank sensor, also! Yes, you have to remove the crank damper and the shield. Just pry it off and push it back on when ready. That's the easy part. While you're at it, examine the inner and outer interupter rings carefully! On my interupter assembly the whole thing was warped and chewed up the sensor and magnets! If the rings are damaged, replace the damper. There is a tool and a procedure for correct installation. Find and follow them to the letter.

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Oct 6, 2008
my crank sensor is bad also i dont know how to get the pully off i cant find the right kind of puller ive tried everything to get the pully of plz help.

United States

#5 Oct 27, 2008

Lake Geneva, WI

#6 Apr 4, 2009
I got a 92 pa and all it does is turn but does not start I change the change the crank sensor and still the same,plus the check engine light never comes on even before the car dies completly

Houston, TX

#7 May 12, 2010
will a car rur smooth idling and jump into high gear then lower while driving

Houston, TX

#8 May 12, 2010
be caused by a crank senson
Jeff EF

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 Dec 30, 2010

Dayton, OH

#10 Apr 3, 2011
"just pry it off"
that is funny!
I found this very hard to take off and I have taken off MANY pulleys. Two tips: the proper puller for the application & use two pry bars that, if a line was drawn connecting where they touch the pulley, the line would intersect the exact middle of the pulley.

Houston, TX

#11 Aug 29, 2011
97 buick regal, 3.8L no supercharger, Cam position sensor code came up and misfire on the engine (shaking). Replaced cam pos. sens. and deleted code, started car and same code came back, computer problem?

United States

#12 Sep 6, 2011
I started and said screw it ill pay someone to do it

Omaha, NE

#13 Nov 25, 2011
I replaced the cam magnet and sensor now the engine is extremely hard to start when cold. After it starts, it runs very well. Could this be the crank position sensor? IF so, how do I adjust this? I don't believe it is hitting the interrupter rings but it didn't do this before I changed the cam sensor.

Omaha, NE

#14 Nov 25, 2011
I forgot to add this is a 1989 Buick Park Avenue with the 3800 V6 engine.

United States

#15 Dec 17, 2011
Where is the crank shaft position sensor located? Do I need any special tools to change it?

United States

#16 Sep 18, 2013
I have a 92 park ave, do the crank sensor and contol module go hand and hand, I change the ecm twice and still want start! Somebody told me to change the crank sensor, then change the ecm! is that right??

Blackfoot, ID

#17 Sep 27, 2013
I have a 92 buick lesabre 3800 motor. It starts and will run but after a while it will die and will not restart for about ten minutes. I replaced the coil pack and it continues to do the same. Could it be the crank position sensor or the cam shaft sensor ?

Middletown, CT

#18 Jun 22, 2014
Ignition control modules are also a common problem. No spark and car will not start. Most common is after driving parking the car and then trying to start it in a little bit and it won't start. The module uses the inputs from the crank and cam sensors to control spark. You can test your crank and cam sensor outputs right at the ICM connector which is easier than trying to test at the sensors themselves.

United States

#19 Sep 29, 2015
i have a 93 buick park ave. it runs rough and when i drive it dies when i turn. i replaced mass airflow. crank sencer. cam sencer. and idal control sencer and it still dies.what can i check next?

United States

#20 Oct 11, 2015
I have a 92 buick lesabre limited and my crank switch has gone bad i was told when i replace it i will get another key and in order for that key to work i will have to take my car to buick and get the sensors inside the key to switch from the original one to the new one is there any truth behing this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Regal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Key in ignition won't come out (Jul '07) Nov 4 Buttons 2789 109
Spark plugs Oct 29 Nkem 1
monsoon stereo system (Sep '06) Sep '15 moparman771 26
88 Buick regal custom brake light switch Sep '15 Shane 1
broken gas line. Sep '15 roberto gamboa 1
1994 Buick Regal GS engine swap (Jan '07) Aug '15 Ohno 4
91 buick regal oil covered crank shaft cen. and... Aug '15 ted 1
More from around the web