Deb

Mckenzie, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2006

Anyone know how to fix lights that have gone out in a steering wheel? All are working except two. They are both on the right side of the wheel, but one is upper and the other is lower. Both went out on the same day, but not at the same time. Also my heat seat on the driver side isn't heating. What should I look at to check that?
Cheryl

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2007

One of the lights went out on my '04 LeSabre steering wheel too. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and was fixed at no charge by the dealer.
Neal

Cordova, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2007

Deb wrote:
Anyone know how to fix lights that have gone out in a steering wheel? All are working except two. They are both on the right side of the wheel, but one is upper and the other is lower. Both went out on the same day, but not at the same time. Also my heat seat on the driver side isn't heating. What should I look at to check that?
Did you ever find any information on this problem? I have the same problem.
joseph

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2007

I have the same problem, what was your fix, I think I am going to try and replace the lights myself
David

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2007

I have a 2001 LeSabre with backlights burned out on the steering wheel, climate control unit, and radio. I would love to know the answer. I can't find help anywhere.
Bonnie

Belle River, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2007

David wrote:
I have a 2001 LeSabre with backlights burned out on the steering wheel, climate control unit, and radio. I would love to know the answer. I can't find help anywhere.
Same here. Replaced the headlight dimmer switch for $125 and only got half of the backlights working again. Backlights still don't work for memory 1, passenger heated seat and all climate control buttons.
Bill

Fairfield, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2007

Judged:

Regarding the temp/volume switches on the steering wheel, the service manual states that you must take the steering wheel apart to change the switches but you don't have to. You can gently pry that switch out of the steering wheel with a small flat-bladed tool. Disconnect the electrical connectors, connect the wires to a new switch and snap it back in to the steering wheel. The new switch cost about $35.

Regarding the memory-seat switches on the door, slip a small flat-bladed tool under the front edge of the plastic switch assembly and gently pry it out. It will snap out. Connect a new switch and snap it back in.
mekanic

Alliston, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2007

I have the same problem on my 2001 Buick LeSabre, in addition my speedometer left side light went out a few days ago and I would like to know how to change it also. Have you had a reply to your question yet?
Deb wrote:
mekanic

Alliston, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2007

I have a 2001 Buick LeSabre. The left side of my speedometer lights are burnt out and I would like to know how to replace them. In addition, the cruise control switch light on the steering wheel is also burnt out. How do you remove the switch in order to change the bulb? thanks
Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

I also have a 2001 Buick LeSabre. Three of the lights in the steering wheel have gone out. I assume I need a new bulb of some kind and not a new switch. However the cruise control button does not work, so that particular button mat need a new switch. Does anyone know antthing about the bulbs, how to replace them and where to buy them?
louie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2007

2004 lasabre, lights under controls on steering wheel, also when adjusting air flow from left vent, i hear a beep, and the radio and a/c turn off. i reset switchs and they resume operation. this all started one month after warranty ran out. I think G.M. should have a recall, with all the complaint i've seen.
BillKerler

Placerville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2007

mekanic wrote:
I have the same problem on my 2001 Buick LeSabre, in addition my speedometer left side light went out a few days ago and I would like to know how to change it also. Have you had a reply to your question yet?
<quoted text>
Mekanic - Were you able to pry out the switches on the steering wheel of your LeSabre? Can you describe exactly how you "pried" them out? Thanks
Bill Kerler @nkerler@hotmail.com
Al Tewks

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Anyone experienced or have a successful procedure for getting the radio control switches out of the steering wheel of a 2000 Buick LeSabre. I have both light out on the right side.
Tax

Appleton, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2008

Mark

Smithfield, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

2001 LeSabre - So how do you get to the Climate Control bulbs? I'm guessing the 'plastic' wood grain pieces have to come off, but how do you remove this section?
Lou

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

The bulbs are very inexpensive. They can be purchased at Radio Shack. Two bulbs cost about $2 per set. They are 12 volt, 60 milliamp and they come with long leads. To replace the bulbs in the steering wheel you must first carefully pry out the switch and the unplug it. Then you must carefully unsnap the switch housing. Take extra caution to not break any of the plastic snap fittings and do not lose any parts. The circuit boards contain the mini-lamps and they are soldered onto the board. Snap of the old bulbs , reatin the housing and the blue rubber light covers. Place the new bulb into the old holder, slip on the blue lens cover, snip the leads to about 1/4 inch, and then solder them onto the boards in the old place. Once soldered, carefully bend the bulb over to lay flat. Take the time to replace all of the bulbs. Re-assemble the switch and replace it in the steering wheel.
For the heat control dash lights the entire assembly must be removed. Replace the bulbs inthe same manner as above. The door lights do not need to be soldered, they have a holder that "unscrews" from the circuit board. Just remove the old bulb from the holder, insert the new bulb and twist the leads into place and snip off the excess leads. Then "screw" the holder back into the circuit board.
zeagen

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2008

Lou wrote:
The bulbs are very inexpensive. They can be purchased at Radio Shack. Two bulbs cost about $2 per set. They are 12 volt, 60 milliamp and they come with long leads. To replace the bulbs in the steering wheel you must first carefully pry out the switch and the unplug it. Then you must carefully unsnap the switch housing. Take extra caution to not break any of the plastic snap fittings and do not lose any parts. The circuit boards contain the mini-lamps and they are soldered onto the board. Snap of the old bulbs , reatin the housing and the blue rubber light covers. Place the new bulb into the old holder, slip on the blue lens cover, snip the leads to about 1/4 inch, and then solder them onto the boards in the old place. Once soldered, carefully bend the bulb over to lay flat. Take the time to replace all of the bulbs. Re-assemble the switch and replace it in the steering wheel.
For the heat control dash lights the entire assembly must be removed. Replace the bulbs inthe same manner as above. The door lights do not need to be soldered, they have a holder that "unscrews" from the circuit board. Just remove the old bulb from the holder, insert the new bulb and twist the leads into place and snip off the excess leads. Then "screw" the holder back into the circuit board.
Nice reply. Wish i would have looked here before asking the Buick dealer to order new steering wheel switches (~$40 ea), just for a silly little light bulb failure! For the climate control backlights (3 of the 7 are out) the goofs at the dealership said "sorry, you gotta buy a new climate control module for $700, we cant change the lights". what an answer. I'm an engineer, and i wanted to punch them out. I couldnt believe the answer! No wonder they need a bailout.
zeagen

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2008

Nice reply. Wish i would have looked here before asking the Buick dealer to order new steering wheel switches (~$40 ea), just for a silly little light bulb failure! For the climate control backlights (3 of the 7 are out) the goofs at the dealership said "sorry, you gotta buy a new climate control module for $700, we cant change the lights". what an answer. I'm an engineer, and i wanted to punch them out. I couldnt believe the answer! No wonder they need a bailout.
JadenK

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks, Lou! Zeagen, I am also an engineer and I also wanted to punch the guy out when they he told me I needed to spend over $1,000 to replace some burnt out bulbs. Although, as an engineer, I can't help notice that it would seem these were designed to go bad and be replaced by the full module instead of the bulb at approximately the end of the loan term. Why replace some bulbs when you can trade in and buy a new car?
DonP

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2009

A standard 12 volt bulb will burn out in short order (much faster than the typical original) because the system voltage is more like 14 volts. There are 14 volt bulbs available; a wire lead T1 size, 14 v 0.065 amp. rated for 10,000 hours average life, a #8111, that should work, but I have not yet had time to try it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick LeSabre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Tue Older than dirt 682
Buick Park Avenue (Mar '06) Jul '14 sandi 424
2000 Buick LeSabre heater will not get warm (Nov '08) May '14 Mike Davis 20
91 buick lesabre (Apr '07) Apr '14 gman 11
digital display(within rpm analogue gauge) flic... Mar '14 flathead 1
1969 buick lesabre need help (Jan '13) Mar '14 manuel elias 2
Headlight Mar '14 Hal 1

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••