2000 Buick LeSabre heater will not get warm

Posted in the Buick LeSabre Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gaylen

Draper, UT

#1 Nov 14, 2008
My 2000 Buick LeSabre heater does not warm the air. The fan still blows, and the engine temp gauge still seems to read normal, not as if the thermostat was stuck. Any thoughts?
Twanrob

Jacksonville, FL

#2 Dec 1, 2008
When cutting on the A/C or Heater there is a gas fume smell coming through the vents. Could someone help me in knowing what could cause that smell?
fixit Mike

Uniontown, PA

#3 Dec 1, 2010
Just fixed mine here's how. Take out the glove box, in the rear left side you'll see a black box slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. Remove the wire plug and screws that mount it. replace with new $155 or used $25(the way I went) part and reassemble. It's not hard and you don't have to take the whole dash apart,they're lying if they do. Part is temperature blend door control or something like that. If you take the old one apart look under the gears, mine had a burnt resistor. Before you buy part, check if it blows heat starting the car and heat controls on, turn the door flap knob ccwise and heat wlii blow. hope this helps
Heather

Appleton, WI

#4 Dec 15, 2010
I am experiencing a similar problem. My boyfriend and i have a '95 buick lesabre. Last summer he was trying to re-wire something in his trunk and accidentally melted some wires. the only effect i notice when driving the car is that some interior lights don't come on (which isn't a big deal). but now that we've hit negative temps. in Wisconsin and I need to heat/ defrost car, i've noticed that NOTHING comes out of the vents, not even cold air. I know that the heater core is brand new, and we just bought a new thermostat that we're going to replace but i want to know if that will actually fix the problem or if it's an electrical problem because of the melted wires.(a/c worked fine all summer and that's why i'm thinking it' more than electrical) I'm kinda left to figure this out because he works long hrs. and i drive the car during the day. I'm looking for the most inexpensive/quickest way to fix this because it's obviously too cold and unsafe to continue driving in winter with no heat and frosted up windshield!!! plz help
John

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 18, 2011
Ship
John

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 18, 2011
Imhyg
Jim

Toledo, OH

#7 Jul 8, 2011
I have the same problem and they asked me to clean the heater core and/or replace it. The heater core get dirty and does not allow the hot water (need for heat in the car) to circulate through the radiator. It could also be a thermostat problem if the old thermostat is stuck in the open position.
Craig

Denver, CO

#8 Feb 13, 2012
fixit Mike wrote:
Just fixed mine here's how. Take out the glove box, in the rear left side you'll see a black box slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes. Remove the wire plug and screws that mount it. replace with new $155 or used $25(the way I went) part and reassemble. It's not hard and you don't have to take the whole dash apart,they're lying if they do. Part is temperature blend door control or something like that. If you take the old one apart look under the gears, mine had a burnt resistor. Before you buy part, check if it blows heat starting the car and heat controls on, turn the door flap knob ccwise and heat wlii blow. hope this helps
great info. I did just that and it works great. 91$ part and half hour.
Maine Mike

Yarmouth, ME

#9 Jan 17, 2013
That worked!! fixitMike rules! easy job, pulled the part myself,$10 bucks, about an hour total. thank you
Sidrow

Antioch, TN

#10 Feb 18, 2013
2000 Lesabre, After replacing the black box behind the glove box,(heater control actuator) with one from salvage yard, still no heat. Removed and replaced with New one, and no heat. Removed new one and turned the knob on the heater CC, and has heat. There is a problem that is preventing the actuator from functioning. Any ideas?
Rodolfo

Lincoln, NE

#12 Oct 29, 2013
My 2000 Lesabre heater also wouldn’t put out much heat. The fan blew but the air was hardly warm. I checked these actuator units mentioned and the shafts were turning as one moved the controls, so the problem was elsewhere. Were the heater core water passages plugged up with gunk? I removed the heater water hoses from the engine block (near the alternator), and connected garden hoses, one going to the faucet and the other to the street gutter. Cheap garden hose repair kit parts made these connections simple. We blasted water through the heater one direction and then the other. Brown stuff came out! After reconnecting the heater hoses to the engine, the heater produced great heat.
Victor

Providence, RI

#13 Dec 18, 2013
I have a 2000 buick lesabre custom and have no heat.it throws strong cold air out the vents.i recently put a new thermostat,and nothing I need help is winter and I'm freezing my ass off every morning.
Conley Hibbitts

London, KY

#14 Dec 21, 2013
fixit Mike wrote:
Our fan is blowing but some of the doors are not opening to blow heat
Garland

New Albany, MS

#15 Jan 6, 2014
fixit Mike wrote:
Thank you fixit Mike! I just fixed my heater on my buick based on your reply. Thank you!
mike d

United States

#16 Jan 7, 2014
I have the sane problem no heat I have flushed the heater core four times get great heat for a day or two then it blows cold. I have replaced the thermostat and water pump any more ideas
jonathan hernandez

Houston, TX

#17 Jan 28, 2014
Victor wrote:
I have a 2000 buick lesabre custom and have no heat.it throws strong cold air out the vents.i recently put a new thermostat,and nothing I need help is winter and I'm freezing my ass off every morning.
I have a 2000 lesabre custom and it was doing the same thing I checked the water hoses that run from the engine to the heater core also unplugged them ran the water hose like mentioned on other posts and no gunk or nothing last I removed the glove box behind it you'll find inn the rear to the left a little blsck box with a wire running to it I dont know what its called I unplug it removed it theres only 2 screws holding it once removed youll see what looks like a lever turn it clock wise with your heater on and it should work . Unless theres something else wrong with your heater core oh yeah if you dont replace that black box cause mine was burned I opened it it had shorted out some how I dont have cash to replace it so I just left the glove box out cause every time u turn your car off the vent shuts again and cold air blows thru again I dont mind turning it manually for right now till the weather gets better down here in Houston
raw

Chicago, IL

#18 Feb 12, 2014
How do you remove the glove box? Im having trouble taking it out.
fixit Mike wrote:
dallas

Wichita, KS

#19 Mar 3, 2014
Garland wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you fixit Mike! I just fixed my heater on my buick based on your reply. Thank you!
does your Le Sabre have automatic temp control?
Mike Davis

Gulfport, MS

#20 May 21, 2014
I have the 2000 Buick lesabre. It also was the same problem. Got mine at a junkyard for 5 bucks. The proper name is called a HVAC air temperature blend door actuator. You can type it in on you tube to see the R/R of the piece.
Mike Davis

Gulfport, MS

#21 May 21, 2014
Can someone recommend a vendor to order a dash cover for my 2000 Buick lesabre? Coverking was no help and said they did not have the pattern to make one. Thanks in advance everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick LeSabre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buick LeSabre: Problems & Solutions (Apr '07) Jan 22 Sye 707
Buick Park Avenue (Mar '06) Jan 11 command 430
Ask the Auto Doctor (Dec '07) Jan 6 japple 13
How to replace 2002 LeSabre heater control pane... (Dec '07) Oct '14 TRG 5
trunk parts Oct '14 samosh 1
93 LeSabre problem filling gas tank. Oct '14 Bruce 1
92 LeSabre. strong hesitation when / car shuts ... (Apr '13) Sep '14 barbersergio 3
More from around the web