General Motors reports $2 billion third-quarter profit ahead of stock offering

There are 4 comments on the Nov 10, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled General Motors reports $2 billion third-quarter profit ahead of stock offering. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Strong profits on new cars and trucks helped General Motors Co. earn $2 billion in the third quarter, enhancing the company's appeal as it nears next week's initial public stock offering.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#1 Nov 10, 2010
Another name for accountants is magicians. "Now you see it now you don't."

GM is very luck with the timing of this announcement, aren't they?
mark harmon

Panama City, FL

#2 Nov 10, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
GM trying to generate a positive spin on the Nov 18 IPO! America is on to GM and there tactics, and this IPO will be prove of a company heading once again in the wrong direction of unprofitably because of ( to much overhead ) and fix cost!

Since: Feb 08

Big Lake, MN

#3 Nov 10, 2010
IrishMN wrote:
Irish, I think I finally agree with something you wrote. ;-)

So let me see if I understand this correctly. GM earned $1.9 billion to $2.1 billion net income for the quarter (not including the previous two quarters), but it took $50 billion in government aid to do so.(so, is this really a $48 billion dollar loss?) ;-)

GM also "has repaid or plans to repay taxpayers $9.5 billion" (so they are not sure which?) and "the government hopes to get back the remaining $40 billion" once the stock goes up for sale again.(But with no guarantee to us taxpayers).

Earning $2 billion on a $50 billion bailout isn't all that impressive to me. I wonder if us taxpayers will get that (fictional) money back or will the government keep it for a rainy day?[snark]
TaxTaxTax

United States

#4 Nov 10, 2010
Pay back taxpayers before UAW pensioners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick LaCrosse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GM recalls 300,000 sedans and SUVs for headligh... Dec '14 John Jeffery 1
News Buick bounces back with younger buyers (Apr '10) Oct '14 Ted Mabeck 30
News Cadillac XTS (Dec '12) Apr '14 casmiami 4
crankshaft sensor (Feb '14) Feb '14 rhonda watts 1
News Ford's stock tempered by downgrades (Jan '13) Jan '13 Pete 2
News General Motors Plans $120M Expansion At Fairfax... (Aug '12) Aug '12 PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
News GM: June U.S. vehicle sales best in nearly four... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Archie 2
More from around the web