A serious stalling problem...
lee

Buffalo, NY

#42 Jun 11, 2008
leo wrote:
Intermittent stalling seems to be a problem on all or at least many of the buicks, Mine is a 98 LeSabre with only 36,000 original miles and it does the same thing. Stalls like it is not getting gas, but immediately (after coasting 20 seconds) will restart. Have replaced the MAP sensor and checked the the fuel system up and down. Plenty of pressure when it is setting in the mechanic's shop. the ignition is working fine too. It tries to run but doesn't have the fuel. It always happens when it is hot. I may run a hundred miles and then it may stall every 4 or 5 miles. It never fails to restart. It will have a noticeable lack of acceleration power before it dies and may run for several miles like that before it stalls. I noticed that someone mentioned on another web site that it may be underhood temperature causing the fuel to boil and create vapor lock. I guess that could cause the power loss. Anyway in my case it is becoming a safety hazard as I run along the freeway. Many people report the same thing. The Buick people must have figured out what it is. Does anyone out there know?
there could be a low oil shut off senser on the side of theoil filter housing if it does have one im almost positive thats whats shutting your car down
tytim03

Dunlap, TN

#43 Oct 19, 2008
i have a 2000 pontiac sunfire and it stalls out after driving 20 min or so. it wll start and run after i let it sit 10 min but will die again a mile down the road. i have found the longer i let it set the longer i can drive after it dies. i have changed the fuel filter, coil packs, and some fuel relay fuse located under the hood in the fuse box but i still have this problem. does anyone have a solution to my problem
Jeff Haskins

Blencoe, IA

#44 Oct 21, 2008
My 89 park avenue is doing the same thing...did you ever figure this out?
mpcop68

Newark, NJ

#45 Apr 21, 2009
Chris have you found the problem yet I am having the same issue except all the time not just when its hot or cold.>
Chris wrote:
Question: 1992 Buick/century mileage: 92,000. I am having some trouble with my car. The problem occurred suddenly. The car starts and runs fine until about 15-20 minutes into the drive, then it just shuts off. After about a 5-10 min wait it fires right back up. Then after another short drive it shuts down again. Then it repeats the process. I found that when it shuts down I lose spark. The ignition coils check out o.k. In addition, I still have power to the ignition module so I changed the module, the problem still exists. I looked at the engine-wiring diagram and found two temperatures. Sensors 1 runs the fan (which seems to cycle o.k.) the other sends a signal to the temperature gauge and to the ECM. I am guessing the problem is temperature related, so I changed the temperature sensor and the problem still exists. I got three codes from the computer. 12, which I think, is a gm computer. Test code 21, I do not know and 42, I do not know. I am pulling out my hair on this one (what little I have left) are all these sensors really needed. Cars used to run fine without them. I hope you can help. Thank you.
Has anyone found the answer to this puzzle?
Shawn Taylor

Sainte-hélène-de-bagot, Canada

#46 May 20, 2009
Hello,
Did you ever discover the cause of your stalling?
I'm Interested!
leo wrote:
Intermittent stalling seems to be a problem on all or at least many of the buicks, Mine is a 98 LeSabre with only 36,000 original miles and it does the same thing. Stalls like it is not getting gas, but immediately (after coasting 20 seconds) will restart. Have replaced the MAP sensor and checked the the fuel system up and down. Plenty of pressure when it is setting in the mechanic's shop. the ignition is working fine too. It tries to run but doesn't have the fuel. It always happens when it is hot. I may run a hundred miles and then it may stall every 4 or 5 miles. It never fails to restart. It will have a noticeable lack of acceleration power before it dies and may run for several miles like that before it stalls. I noticed that someone mentioned on another web site that it may be underhood temperature causing the fuel to boil and create vapor lock. I guess that could cause the power loss. Anyway in my case it is becoming a safety hazard as I run along the freeway. Many people report the same thing. The Buick people must have figured out what it is. Does anyone out there know?
Shawn Taylor

Sainte-hélène-de-bagot, Canada

#47 May 20, 2009
Hello,
Did you ever discover the cause of your stalling?
Thanks!
gerry113377

Burlington, IA

#48 Jun 10, 2009
I have a 92 buick century and had this same problem. My car would run great. Then it would stall for no reason. Then after several minutes or hours I would hear my fuel pump kick back on (with the key kept in the on position) then it would start again, only to stall again a few hours later. After changing many sensors that didn't solve anything. I troubleshooted my electrical system and found a bad fusable link ($3!!!) in the ORANGE wire running off my starter. It wasn't blown, just loose on the inside. I could pull on the wires and my pump would shut off, push in on the wires and the pump would kick back on (get the picture). If not the orange, try the red or all of them. Good luck with this, I hope this helps. I pulled my hair out on this one till I figured it out. ;)
Herb

Commack, NY

#49 Aug 4, 2009
It's disgrace that Buick hasn't been responsible enough to save people from accidents using their cars. My lovely girlfriend has the same intermittent stalling problems with a 92 Buick that many other people have and there has been no solution to date. She was almost killed yesterday because of this problem on 347 on Long Island. Buick, I believe, should be sued in Federal Court. Many people can't afford to buy new cars, or even other ones that they have; like in this case the 92 Buick Century. Buick should either be ashamed of themselves, find and distribute the solution to the problem to all owners of their cars, or be sued. Were I on the Jury of a person killed or injured Buick would be in big financial trouble. Buick knows of the problem but chooses not to do anything about it. Herbert Brand
Herb

Commack, NY

#50 Aug 4, 2009
Buick should be ashamed of themselves for not giving the public the solutions to fixing an intermittent stalling problem on many of their cars. My wonderful girlfriend was almost killed yesterday because of this problem. I discovered on the computer many other people have this same stalling problem. No one seems to know how to permantly fix the problem. I believe Buick should be sued for not issuing a recall and fixing this problem. Herbert Brand
Herb

Commack, NY

#51 Aug 4, 2009
If anyone does find the permanant solution to the stalling problem of the 92 Buicks please send it to Herbert Brand 3l Shannon Blvd. Yaphank, New York ll980 I'll send you back a financial reward
Jimbo

United States

#52 Sep 10, 2009
1990 Buick Lasabre stalls when driving. Has happened when I have the air on. On two occassions, I have start up from home with the air on and drove for 10 miles without problem. Stopped at a store for 30 minutes, start back up, drove a mile or two and the car would stall like someone turn off the car. When it happens, I put it Park and it would start back up without hesitation. Leave the air off and the car drove fine. Replaced crank sensor and ECM but still stalls. Fuel pressure is fine. NO codes of any kind. Repair shop has no idea what is wrong and I am tired of them guessing.
vintager

Youngstown, OH

#53 Nov 5, 2009
Lew Phoenix wrote:
My garage has been working on the same problem with my car all spring. Initially they replaced the fuel system thinking that it was clogged or just not up to snuff but it continued. After that they replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Now I've had the ignition module replaced (after having starting issues) and am hoping that finishes it. I'll know better next week. Even if I get a new car I'll probably keep this one for winter though, it runs great in the snow.
Hope that helps.
Inherited a 92 buick century, 6 cyl, fuel injected from my dad. Started doing same thing. My brother thought it's caused by a crack in on of the coils that gets worse as it heats up.Going to try rplacing them.
Lauria

Saint Louis, MO

#54 Nov 19, 2009
I have a 1992 Buick Century. I have had that intermittent stalling but I thought nothing of it until I had to drive with my foot on the brake while accelerating. I cannot afford a mechanics shop so I called my father; he changed the idle control sensor and so far so good. Most of the posts here has said crank position sensor but he said the car will not start at all if that is the situation. I tried to talk him into changing it but he insists that is not the problem. Hopefully this will help and my car will keep running.
I have another situation. I changed my heater fan and it is still doing the same thing; it works on high and the setting down from high. Any suggestions?
Jimbo

Wayne, IL

#55 Nov 20, 2009
Lauria wrote:
I have a 1992 Buick Century. I have had that intermittent stalling but I thought nothing of it until I had to drive with my foot on the brake while accelerating. I cannot afford a mechanics shop so I called my father; he changed the idle control sensor and so far so good. Most of the posts here has said crank position sensor but he said the car will not start at all if that is the situation. I tried to talk him into changing it but he insists that is not the problem. Hopefully this will help and my car will keep running.
I have another situation. I changed my heater fan and it is still doing the same thing; it works on high and the setting down from high. Any suggestions?
The idle control sensor usually results in stalling when you are not moving like when in Park or at a stop light. You need to still be aware that the stalling might continue.
Mike

San Clemente, CA

#56 Dec 27, 2009
I have this same problem with an 89 Buick Century 2.5 L4. I have replaced the fuel system (everything except the fuel lines themselves), new plugs, tps, iac, coolant temp sensor, o2 sensor, starter, egr valve.... mechanics diagnostic didn't give me any help. I have no clue what is going on at the moment. It loves the highway, but if i get off the highway, park at a store, try to restart... it stalls, stumbles, i have to restart and throttle it really high to get it to come to a stable idle. Then i can drive off. Very frustrating. Need help or feedback....
scottbergin

Waterbury, CT

#57 Jan 11, 2010
ed gregory wrote:
My 1994 buick park ave stalls intermitingly but atthis same time the power windows and door locks also stop working then after a few minutes everything works fine again
any suggestions
thanks
there is a common ground under the driver door sill plate .powr windows door locks and fuel pump all ground at the same block this was the problem on my 96 lesabre just dirty contacts
chris mcdonald

Spokane, WA

#58 Feb 1, 2010
have a 92 buick le sabre that stalls as soon as enginw warms up. Any suggestions?
chris mcdonald

Spokane, WA

#59 Feb 1, 2010
have a 92 buick lesabre-3.8 ltr. Starts up but dies as soon as it warms up. Any ideas?
chris mcdonald

Spokane, WA

#60 Feb 1, 2010
What wouldcause a car to start and idle fine, only to stall when put into gear?
justin

Little Rock, AR

#61 Mar 1, 2010
i have a 2001 buick century my first car i love iy i paid 1500 for it but after about a month i had an internal leak with my coolant it was leakin into my engine but i had my friends dad work on it hes a certified michnic it dont leak but i have a cracked block and i noticed some of you said your buics stall so dose mine it dose iit randomly but its not bad i think this should be brough up to buic i think its CRAP!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Century Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Buick Century Intermittant Air Conditionin... (May '07) Jul 24 PBJforMe 61
'92 Buick Lesabre cuts out while driving... hav... (Jul '07) Jul 8 Roadside guy 22
A permanent fix for the multifunction switch pr... (Jun '11) Jul 3 Art 14
rad leak i think Jul 1 Dre161978 2
radiator drain plug location (Mar '13) May '16 rgsteve 6
Head gasket Apr '16 Cogus 1
Headlight timer (Sep '06) Mar '16 Dennis 7
More from around the web