A serious stalling problem...
Andy

Kasson, MN

#22 Jan 12, 2007
leo wrote:
Intermittent stalling seems to be a problem on all or at least many of the buicks, Mine is a 98 LeSabre with only 36,000 original miles and it does the same thing. Stalls like it is not getting gas, but immediately (after coasting 20 seconds) will restart. Have replaced the MAP sensor and checked the the fuel system up and down. Plenty of pressure when it is setting in the mechanic's shop. the ignition is working fine too. It tries to run but doesn't have the fuel. It always happens when it is hot. I may run a hundred miles and then it may stall every 4 or 5 miles. It never fails to restart. It will have a noticeable lack of acceleration power before it dies and may run for several miles like that before it stalls. I noticed that someone mentioned on another web site that it may be underhood temperature causing the fuel to boil and create vapor lock. I guess that could cause the power loss. Anyway in my case it is becoming a safety hazard as I run along the freeway. Many people report the same thing. The Buick people must have figured out what it is. Does anyone out there know?
i've had the same problem.. have your EGR valve checked.
Greg _ Costa Mesa Ca

Chatsworth, CA

#23 Feb 7, 2007
I have a 89' Buick Century and it has been doing the stall thing intermittently as well. I had replaced the Ignition control module a year ago then, I had steamed the engine and ever since that it has reoccured. I am frustrated with this cause, it will happen to me when I am driving on the freeway and that is scary. Please if there is anyone who has figured this out please e-mail me at [email protected] with an answer. I truly would appreciate it!
james

Orange Park, FL

#24 Feb 9, 2007
does anyone have the fix for the stalling vehicles after 30 minutes of driving. everyone has a similar problem. has anything worked for anyone.
Jeremie wrote:
I have a 93 century and ever since spring it has had a wicked tendancy to stall at random times, about 3-10 times per 1/2 hour trips. I have a repair manual for the car and I've run down most of the solutions there with no avail. Its not the transmition, and Im pretty sure its not the emmitions sensors. The car runs nicely, but out of nowhere it stalls, sometimes sputters onece or twice before it goes out, but not always, and always starts back up no problem, usually to stall again a few more times before it calms down. The car is MUCH more likely to stall in warmer weather or after its had a chance to warm up (about 15 driving minutes).Its not safe anymore and I cant afford a new car, so if anyone can help, It would be much appreciated. thanx.
Daniel

Nashville, TN

#25 Feb 23, 2007
My 1992 Century did exactly the same thing. Module was good, but there was no spark. Discovered that the epoxy sealing the back of the crankshaft position sensor was cracked, possibly due to a recently failed water pump seal, which dumped hot coolant on the back of the sensor. Replaced the sensor, and had no further problem. BTW, a bad crank sensor sets no codes.
Chris wrote:
Question: 1992 Buick/century mileage: 92,000. I am having some trouble with my car. The problem occurred suddenly. The car starts and runs fine until about 15-20 minutes into the drive, then it just shuts off. After about a 5-10 min wait it fires right back up. Then after another short drive it shuts down again. Then it repeats the process. I found that when it shuts down I lose spark. The ignition coils check out o.k. In addition, I still have power to the ignition module so I changed the module, the problem still exists. I looked at the engine-wiring diagram and found two temperatures. Sensors 1 runs the fan (which seems to cycle o.k.) the other sends a signal to the temperature gauge and to the ECM. I am guessing the problem is temperature related, so I changed the temperature sensor and the problem still exists. I got three codes from the computer. 12, which I think, is a gm computer. Test code 21, I do not know and 42, I do not know. I am pulling out my hair on this one (what little I have left) are all these sensors really needed. Cars used to run fine without them. I hope you can help. Thank you.
Has anyone found the answer to this puzzle?
Bill

United States

#26 Apr 13, 2007
I have the same problem. 87 Century. Stalls randomly. What the? Any solutions before I just start pulling parts

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
norm new hampshire

AOL

#27 Apr 22, 2007
I have a 1990 buick skylark. It runs great when its cold then will run rough when its hot. Then it will stall. It will start backup but when you put it in drive it will make a thug sound and stall.
Carri

Citrus Heights, CA

#28 Apr 29, 2007
My '90 Skylark is doing the same thing! When it gets hot, it starts losing power and stalls--but only as I'm coming to a stop. As long as I'm moving, it keeps running. The engine will turn over, but stalls as soon as I shift into Drive. After about 15-20 min. it will cool down enough to drive again...but will stall again if it gets too hot--especially in city traffic.

I was told it was probably the Ignition Module. While pulling it out, the attached Crankshaft Position Sensor broke off and stuck in the engine block. So I got online to find out how to get it out--or if it would hurt to leave it in--and read many instances of a bad Crank Sensor being the likely culprit for the stalling. I'm not sure what to do next...thought I would try replacing the sensor and see if that solved the problem before I replaced Ignition Module.

Any advice or ideas?

A hint for removing the DIS assembly, Ignition Module and Crank Sensor--it's in a real difficult position where you can't really see it nor have enough room to maneuver: raise the front end and you can reach it from underneath the chassis. My brother the mechanic said it couldn't be done...hah! It saves a lot of time, not to mention frustration and pain!
rod

United States

#29 Aug 6, 2007
Carri wrote:
My '90 Skylark is doing the same thing! When it gets hot, it starts losing power and stalls--but only as I'm coming to a stop. As long as I'm moving, it keeps running. The engine will turn over, but stalls as soon as I shift into Drive. After about 15-20 min. it will cool down enough to drive again...but will stall again if it gets too hot--especially in city traffic.
I was told it was probably the Ignition Module. While pulling it out, the attached Crankshaft Position Sensor broke off and stuck in the engine block. So I got online to find out how to get it out--or if it would hurt to leave it in--and read many instances of a bad Crank Sensor being the likely culprit for the stalling. I'm not sure what to do next...thought I would try replacing the sensor and see if that solved the problem before I replaced Ignition Module.
Any advice or ideas?
A hint for removing the DIS assembly, Ignition Module and Crank Sensor--it's in a real difficult position where you can't really see it nor have enough room to maneuver: raise the front end and you can reach it from underneath the chassis. My brother the mechanic said it couldn't be done...hah! It saves a lot of time, not to mention frustration and pain!
change the temp sensor right next to the thermostat housing!
sadie

Huddleston, VA

#30 Aug 10, 2007
my 88 buick century does the same thing. runs great 20mins then stalls. It will restart again after about 15-20mins. My grandfather seems to think it's a sensor in the oil pan. He said a buddy of his had a buick with the same problem. He drained all the oil out and let it sit for a couple minutes then put new oil in it. Draining the oil reset the sensor and the car ran great after. I want to try it but my boyfriend says it sounds silly. But it's worth a try I think. Any ideas about this? Does it sound possible or is poppy crazy?
Ted

AOL

#31 Aug 22, 2007
My car does the same thing. It would completely shut off after driving for a while. I replaced the crank sensor and it has not shut off once, but not after it runs for a while it loses power and shutters but does not completely shut down. Could this be a badsensor I installed or another problem. The mechanic I use has tested everything else he could think of. I replacet the plugs, wires,dist. cap and rotor, fule filter and it still shutters.

Thanks

I need help
Kris

Auburn Hills, MI

#32 Sep 17, 2007
I agree with one of the other posts. Change the crank sensor. It worked for mine. I have a 92 Buick Park Ave. It would run for about 35 minutes and then just die. It did not code. I changed it out and it ran (idled) for an hour and then I test drove it. Runs great.

Hope this helps you all.

Thanks
Mary

AOL

#33 Oct 2, 2007
I am planning to buy a 2000 Buick Century Custom but you guys are giving me second thoughts about all this stalling problem. Is it still continuing.if anyone has any advice for me please email me privately as I may not get to read the post here in time.someone who has a 2002 Century. [email protected]
Mary

AOL

#34 Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone know of any recalls on the Buick Century Custom 2002
Mary

AOL

#35 Oct 2, 2007
i mean a 2002 buick century
Marthe

New Bern, NC

#36 Jan 6, 2008
We have a 97 Buick Regal, with a high-performance engine. It has run fine until yesterday. We had it out Friday, parked it when we returned home. We were going to run an errand on Sat., started the car and it stalled out. We tried several times to start it, and it ran for less then 5 seconds and killed out. We took our other car and ran the errand. I tried to start it again today, Sunday, and it happened again. We're having it towed to the shop tomorrow and try to get it fixed. I think we had a K Car which stalled out, the diagnosis was build-up on the fuel injection nozzle and we had to spray it regularly with WD40 or something else to cut the gunk. I hope its an easy fix, but I doubt it. We didn't get any error codes, bells or flashing lights.
Mac

Mankato, MN

#37 Feb 9, 2008
norm new hampshire wrote:
I have a 1990 buick skylark. It runs great when its cold then will run rough when its hot. Then it will stall. It will start backup but when you put it in drive it will make a thug sound and stall.
did you find out what it was? thanks...[email protected]
Bryan

Stroudsburg, PA

#38 Feb 12, 2008
I have a 1992 Buick LeSabre that stalls randomly as well. Been in and out of 2 different shops, VSS, Mass AirFlow, and Crankshaft Pos. Sensors have been replace. Plugs and wires are fairly new.
Car will NOT quit or stall for mechanics, and it seems to basically happen at random. Sometimes it will start right back up, other times it takes mins or even hours/days.
Checked for spark one time when it wasnt starting, and seemed to have no spark, then we put everything back together and it started right up.
This problem has been KILLING me for the past few months. Please, any advice would be great. It's been at the shop for the past week, and they cant get it to quit for them.=/
tony

London, OH

#39 Apr 4, 2008
Jeremie wrote:
I have a 93 century and ever since spring it has had a wicked tendancy to stall at random times, about 3-10 times per 1/2 hour trips. I have a repair manual for the car and I've run down most of the solutions there with no avail. Its not the transmition, and Im pretty sure its not the emmitions sensors. The car runs nicely, but out of nowhere it stalls, sometimes sputters onece or twice before it goes out, but not always, and always starts back up no problem, usually to stall again a few more times before it calms down. The car is MUCH more likely to stall in warmer weather or after its had a chance to warm up (about 15 driving minutes).Its not safe anymore and I cant afford a new car, so if anyone can help, It would be much appreciated. thanx.
answer: on the buick 3.8 built before 94' there was a recall on the pcm ( sofware error ) causing deceleration and stall. hope this helps

tony
tony

London, OH

#40 Apr 4, 2008
Bryan wrote:
I have a 1992 Buick LeSabre that stalls randomly as well. Been in and out of 2 different shops, VSS, Mass AirFlow, and Crankshaft Pos. Sensors have been replace. Plugs and wires are fairly new.
Car will NOT quit or stall for mechanics, and it seems to basically happen at random. Sometimes it will start right back up, other times it takes mins or even hours/days.
Checked for spark one time when it wasnt starting, and seemed to have no spark, then we put everything back together and it started right up.
This problem has been KILLING me for the past few months. Please, any advice would be great. It's been at the shop for the past week, and they cant get it to quit for them.=/
same advice the 3.8 built for buick by gm before 94' has a recall on the pcm (software error) causing deceleration and stall
ed gregory

United States

#41 Apr 14, 2008
My 1994 buick park ave stalls intermitingly but atthis same time the power windows and door locks also stop working then after a few minutes everything works fine again

any suggestions

thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buick Century Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A permanent fix for the multifunction switch pr... (Jun '11) Mar 13 kizmet48 20
Buick Centruy Hesitation Issues Mar 11 Bukawesome 1
Unusual Leak 2002 Buick Century (Oct '14) Feb '17 Jackson Lindsey 2
'92 Buick Lesabre cuts out while driving... hav... (Jul '07) Feb '17 leahv 24
News GM faces Canadian gasket class-action lawsuit; ... (Jun '06) Jan '17 Cheeks 540
Overheating (Apr '06) Jan '17 Christie 10
windshield wipers on 2002 buick century (Oct '07) Dec '16 Arthur 34
More from around the web